The Titfield Thunderbolt

Watching the film. Fantastic film really good and funny.

What was the name of the real station and what line is it. like the opening shot of the S and D?

Camerton on the line from Limpley Stoke to Hallatrow. 1951.

Great line about those in Canterbury and Whitstable npt being of sufficient faith.

Graham Beare

...i have a book about the film its excellent. but are there any books about the line and any different books about the film?

Colin Maggs & Gerry Beale, 1986, "The Camerton Branch", Wild Swan, ISBN 0906867258

Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, 1985, "Frome to Bristol, including the Camerton Branch and the Titfield Thunderbolt", Middleton Press, ISBN 1873793774

Mike Vincent, 1990, "Through Countryside & Coalfield", OPC, ISBN 0860934284

The latter two cover the Bristol & North Somerset line as well as the Camerton branch.

Nick

Camerton on the line from Limpley Stoke to Hallatrow. 1951.

Great line about those in Canterbury and Whitstable npt being of sufficient faith.

Graham Beare

Camerton itself was not used in the filming. The opening shot is at Midford. Others which are still visible today include the junction with the Bathampton-Westbury line at Limpley Stoke. The playing field shots are also here and pretty much unchanged today. The roller-engine fight was filmed at Dunkerton Colliery sidings, now a scrap yard(the cone shaped hill seen in the backgroung is Camerton New Colliery Batch, still there today) Manningford Station is Bristol Temple Meads, filmed in what is now platform 2, now just used for stabling. Most other shots were filmed between Monkton Combe and Dunkerton, although the village scenes are mostly at Freshford and the garage was at Winsley. Many of the locations are unchanged 60yrs later apart from a few extra trees. A great shame that this line was not preserved, as it survived until 1958 before it was dismantled.

Simon (Castens) used to do a little booklet listing many locations. I don't know if he still has some, but it would be worth contacting him if you are interested.http://titfield.co.uk/

Camerton itself was not used in the filming. The opening shot is at Midford. Others which are still visible today include the junction with the Bathampton-Westbury line at Limpley Stoke. The playing field shots are also here and pretty much unchanged today. The roller-engine fight was filmed at Dunkerton Colliery sidings, now a scrap yard(the cone shaped hill seen in the backgroung is Camerton New Colliery Batch, still there today) Manningford Station is Bristol Temple Meads, filmed in what is now platform 2, now just used for stabling. Most other shots were filmed between Monkton Combe and Dunkerton, although the village scenes are mostly at Freshford and the garage was at Winsley. Many of the locations are unchanged 60yrs later apart from a few extra trees. A great shame that this line was not preserved, as it survived until 1958 before it was dismantled.

Simon (Castens) used to do a little booklet listing many locations. I don't know if he still has some, but it would be worth contacting him if you are interested.http://titfield.co.uk/

The Titfield Thunderbolt Now and Then by Oliver Fosker, and available from Simon Castens, is an excellent reference work relative to film scenes and their present day status. Well worth getting this and then having it handy when watching the film.

Midford is a nice place to visit, and the Hope and Anchor pub worth a look in. They allowed me to leave my van in their car park while the dog and I explored the trackbed through the tunnel(which I believe was known as the "Long Arch Bridge")and past the site of Midford goods yard.

At that time Midford viaduct was blocked off, I understand you can now walk across-can anyone confirm this?

It really is a lovely part of the country.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

At that time Midford viaduct was blocked off, I understand you can now walk across-can anyone confirm this?

It's now part of a cycle path and is accessible. (well according to the sustrans website).

... why dont they make any films like this anymore? ...

'They' do, if you accept that TTT is of the genre 'comedy, based on aspects of life in the UK that generally command affectionate regard'. This may come as news, but the fondly regarded local branchline no longer figures in the majority of the UK public's minds. However, films like 'Run Fat Boy, Run', 'Hot Fuzz', and even 'Love, Actually'; work at least in part within the genre.

• RMweb Gold

Either the West Somerset (I mean that most sincerely Cap'n, honest - even if the volunteer Guard is a little older and the 'gypsy children' are all growed up now wink.gif) or the North Yorks Moors - both are handy to 'communities' and have plenty of opportune countryside for storylines plus the ability to recreate the right trains.

Presumably the nicking from Mallingford Museum of an 'early' loco would be staged at the NRM by members of the 'Stop NRM+' campaign while the borrowing of a working 14XX would be carried out at Didcot with it setting out over NR's railway after suitably bribing the 'signalmen'. And of course the original steam roller is currently in full working order so can be brought out of retirement and let loose on the West Somerset - even got some level crossings down there they have.

• RMweb Premium

If someone was to re-make the Titfield Thunderbolt and keep it set in the 1950s (or 1960s) - presumably using a heritage railway - which location(s) would you think would be best suited to this?

It would have to be filmed on a line which has a main line connection at a station. In someways the Gunnislake line or the Okehampton line would lend themselves to a remake filmed on the national railway network.

Looe branch would give you the equivalent "going under the main line" opening shot, also the opportunity to introduce a "hilarious" scene where elderly gentleman with bicycle misses the train at Liskeard, but heads down the hill to catch it at Coombe.

Severn Valley, with little stations, gorgeous village locations, close by the river, bus in forecourt.

Trouble is that the TTT is a gorgeous film because it epitomises a way of life that has disappeared, would The Squire be held in such esteem, would the Vicar be such a pillar and would Mr Valentine exist today?

Oldest branch line in the country? One of the youngest, but I still like the line "perhaps there were not men of sufficient faith in Canterbury" as said already.

Archived