Hull 2009

peterl

• RMweb Gold

Just got back from the show where I was helping Andy on the RMWeb stand. Just like to thank the Hull guys for yet another excellent show and anyone who took the time to call by the stand and natter. Andy won the layout with the best atmosphere award must be those blooming seagulls! :icon_clap:

Nice to meet up with the usual suspects Ken Gibbons, Brian Sunman and the Wirral mob. Good show, good meal, good (cheap) beer and very good company. Once again thanks to all involved especially our hosts for the weekend the very tolerant Mrs Fleming and that Pennine fella. :icon_thumbsup2:

Chris

We last visited the Hull show some 10 years ago and having not been able to park did not get to see the show and said would not go again. Over the last 4/5 years it has fallen on the same w/end as Spalding so we went their as enjoy that show and meet family.

However this year they are on differant w/ends so went over the bridge to see the Hull show. Sadly when got their their was a sign on fence saying car park was full. I asked the guy on the gate if we could go in and see if the disabled parking was free or wait out the way until a space was free, as my wife did not have her wheelchair and could not walk up the road (nearest parking space about 800 yards away) and around the show as well. He said no and to park on the road. I tried to explani or request his help but he just walked off. So we came away again without seeing the show due to parking problems and the "I dont care" mood of their studard. We look forward to Spalding next w/end and if ever they are on differant w/ends again we know for sure we will NEVER visit the Hull show again. And talking to a few others outside the gate we was not the only ones not borthering going in.

We have also sent details of this to mags/other forums etc........ angry.gif

Apart from the torrential downpour as we walked in we had the usual enjoyable day. Always a convivial atmosphere, plenty of friendly and familiar faces and the usual quality layouts. Hospital Gates was as impressive as expected and worth the trip. I hope the Botanic Gardens team live long enough to finish it. It was nice to see Keyhaven Quay at last and always a pleasure to catch up with Andy. Trade was very good as usual - I found quite a few things I'd been looking for for a while which is always a bonus.

A big thank you to Andy for allowing me to use his layout as a backdrop and exhibition area.

sbafb_zpsb9b708c0.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It was a shame I had to miss it this year but after a grotty shoulder cancelled my original IRSE weekend at short notice Hull was that bit too far to travel so I went to Wycrail.

It would be handy for me (and probably no one else :blink:? ) if next year the organisers managed not to get Wycrail and Hull on the same day as both are good shows and not ones I would like to miss (and I shall try to avoid booking/being booked in advance for anything which clashes with either of 'em :blush:)

I came back to look at Keyhaven two or three times and chatted with the owner.

But, I didn't realise who he was until I read the program at home.

Doh!

To my mind, Keyhaven contains so many of the elements I hope for in my layout.

Quite aspirational and all contained in a small area.

Also, I particularly enjoyed Devils Creek and Hospital Gates, both have great theatrical scene-setting in their layout.

Thanks,

Chris

Black Hat

• RMweb Gold

At the prsent rate of progress you will be on your pension by the time it is finished?  :lol:

Only kidding?  :blush:

Peter

Yeah - it won't be finished that quickly :P

Nice to see locos (and trains) running and I'm sure I spotted a 60 doing the rounds at one stage B)

We last visited the Hull show some 10 years ago and having not been able to park did not get to see the show and said would not go again. Over the last 4/5 years it has fallen on the same w/end as Spalding so we went their as enjoy that show and meet family.

However this year they are on differant w/ends so went over the bridge to see the Hull show. Sadly when got their their was a sign on fence saying car park was full. I asked the guy on the gate if we could go in and see if the disabled parking was free or wait out the way until a space was free, as my wife did not have her wheelchair and could not walk up the road (nearest parking space about 800 yards away) and around the show as well. He said no and to park on the road. I tried to explani or request his help but he just walked off. So we came away again without seeing the show due to parking problems and the "I dont care" mood of their studard.? ? We look forward to Spalding next w/end and if ever they are on differant w/ends again we know for sure we will NEVER visit the Hull show again. And talking to a few others outside the gate we was not the only ones not borthering going in.

We have also sent details of this to mags/other forums etc........ :angry:

Sorry about the parking problems. ? We don't really have any control over the car park and do try to get people in if we can. ? Obviously there were no places available in the disabled parking area either otherwise you would have got in!

If you would really like to help then please write a formal letter to Hull City Council about the lack of parking spaces at the venue. They might just let the centre open up the field for parking.? 

Peter

Hon Secretary

Hull MRS

Just got back from the show where I was helping Andy on the RMWeb stand.? 

Your assistance, support and conviviality was very much appreciated Chris, 14 hours of exhibiting with 3 points to play with takes it toll and I'm sure you'd like to say it was a pleasure but the camera doesn't lie. ;)

CW.jpg

A big thank you to Andy for allowing me to use his layout as a backdrop and exhibition area.

Thanks for the loan of such an interesting and attractive piece for the day Jonathan, it certainly drew a lot of admiring looks and questions. A lovely piece of work if I may say so.

Ferry Van.jpg

I nearly weathered it though. ;)

A big thank you to all of the members of the club involved with organising the event and the supporting roles, a genuinely enjoyable weekend and my thanks to the Hull MRS Narrow Gauge Army for the award. ?  :icon_redface:

Your assistance, support and conviviality was very much appreciated Chris, 14 hours of exhibiting with 3 points to play with takes it toll and I'm sure you'd like to say it was a pleasure but the camera doesn't lie. wink.gif

post-1-12577880007995_thumb.jpg

Thats a VERY serious look there Chris, the sort that spells trouble for the layout owner that gave you the controls biggrin.gif

I'm 26! How long do you think it's going to take us?!

So is it true you were 8 when it was started?

It looks like a very promising prototype and the stock I saw looked very nice. I also noted the part about progress becoming more rapid; I look forward to seeing more of it in a couple of years time or so.

I knew Andy's picture would be much better than mine - he's a proper photographer - and he's also managed to avoid including any vomiting stevedores in his shot.

It will be weathered, once my fickle affections have transferred to something else foreign and obscure. Anyone have a photo of the Hungarian Sturgeon wagon?

And some photos of Botanic Gardens from the weekend...

This was the very first time it had all been up in one go! We didn't realise just how big it would be either. The NER P1 did sterling work over the weekend, we reckon it ran about 200 scale miles at least over the too days!

DSCF1037.jpg

DSCF1040.jpg

DSCF1042.jpg

DSCF1057.jpg

DSCF1058.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1080.jpg

DSCF1081.jpg

DSCF1082.jpg

DSCF1083.jpg

DSCF1086.jpg

DSCF1087.jpg

DSCF1089.jpg

DSCF1090.jpg

DSCF1091.jpg

DSCF1093.jpg

DSCF1094.jpg

DSCF1102.jpg

DSCF1104.jpg

I thought that this was a great show again this year, good to see Cressington and Hospital Gates on their debut, and Botanic Gardens will certainly be something else when the townscape is built up. Good selection of trade too, managed to spend a few pennies ;)

I also had the privelidge of meeting Andy Y for the first time, I'd have gotten away with being incognito if it wasn't for Mr Grantham! In fact I seemed to spend a fair bit of time chatting to folks I knew...

Colin

Although he's admittedly a mate, I have to say it was good to see Brian Sunman's efforts recognised by his receiving the A1 Trophy for the best modern outline-related exhibit (Peffermill Road). Bri constructed this layout over a number of years, virtually unassisted and moreover in a quiet and unassuming manner, in contrast to the monotonous, self-congratulatory tub-thumping and hype that emanates from some other quarters.

So is it true you were 8 when it was started?

It looks like a very promising prototype and the stock I saw looked very nice. I also noted the part about progress becoming more rapid; I look forward to seeing more of it in a couple of years time or so.

I would have been close to 8 when the concept was first discussed!!! :D

The last couple of years has seen a lot of milestones reached and passed - the weekend was the first time it had all been up together and it was great to see it all coming together in this way, especially for Dave who has slaved away with all the non-scenic boards recently. It's often hard to visualise it when you're used to just three boards up at a time.

James

Thanks for posting the pictures . Looks superbsmile.gif smile.gif.

What is the Pacific Tank Loco . What make is it please

It's based on a Little Engines' kit - much modified though. The kit represents the reboilered examples so I have fitted a larger diameter boiler using 23mm plastic water pipe! The chassis has modified with compensation and the body had large chunks cut ouut just so the wheels would fit! :lol:

and Botanic Gardens will certainly be something else when the townscape is built up.

You're too kind!

Nice to see Botanic in its entirety: shame I couldn't make it to the show. You get some idea of the potential it has to be a stunning layout. That P1 needs a few more hoppers behind it!wink.gif

We need lots and lots of hoppers! We have a lot of kits in stock for them!

The P1 was a sterling performer and it ran, we estimated, at least 200 scale miles over the course of the show!

Archived