Hornby 2011

dibber25

When it comes to LNER, I suppose we all have our favs. The Raven original B16 is just waiting to be done, and of course it lasted the course thru' BR. But with my commercial nose in place, the X-factor crown has got to go to GNR and LBSC large Atlantics. Both would look good hauling Hornby's Pullmans!

At least this year, we haven't been plagued with this crass type of commentary...dilbert

Yes, all commendably civilised and light-hearted for which we are extremely appreciative. I did smile when I saw one of these sort of postings on another site today followed by "Mummy; I know what I want for Christmas next year" and I don't think he was joking!

I know one merchant who is less embargoed. l would not advise anyone to go to Hattons and search using "************************"... biggrin.gif

:O

Search Results For "************************"

For more advanced searches, use our advanced search.

No products found matching your search criteria.

:lol:

Love it - even on the Hornby Forum some plonker obviously decided he wants to break the embargo.

Why do folk feel the need to do the complete opposite from what they were asked to do?

Probably the same profile of person troll that in previous years has found it necessary to complain that :

• why should magazine editors et al. be favoured in receiving this info upfront and everyone else has to wait for at least two weeks to have a pee
  • with the Internet, this is neither fair nor democratic. Demands instantaneous information before it is even available
  • probably frustrated that "getting fifteen minutes of fame" maybe ain't so easy..
  • doesn't understand simple concepts such as "marquetting"

At least this year, we haven't been plagued with this crass type of commentary...dilbert

These are clearly not people who work for companies (like mine) that routinely issue embargoed press releases. It remains a necessary part of business communications.

It is interesting to mentally remove yourself and watch the evolution of behavior - even here amongst ourselves. We are all growing with communications technology and new ettiquettes emerge that bound behaviors that are considered 'proper'. The whole notion of embargoes is embedded into traditional journalistic practises and the issue only arises from the collision between the possibilities of the internet and the intersection of professional versus amateur journalism that is prevalent on-line.

Retailers are privy to the knowledge and are honour-bound to keep silent too. But at the end of the day, any embargo will destroy itself if it is a case of ....There is an embargo but some 'in the trade' are more embargoed than others.

If only it was so, we retailers have to wait until the clock has struck midnight like everyone else. No information is passed to us until then like it used to be until a few years ago when someone broke the embargo so now I too will be up on Christmas morning and switching the computer on before I look at what Father Christmas has brought me (actually I know what it is - it's a Schools with sound but not St Pauls I don't like black Schools)

Dave

If only it was so, we retailers have to wait until the clock has struck midnight like everyone else. No information is passed to us until then like it used to be until a few years ago when someone broke the embargo so now I too will be up on Christmas morning and switching the computer on before I look at what Father Christmas has brought me (actually I know what it is - it's a Schools with sound but not St Pauls I don't like black Schools)

Dave

Wasn't there a year when an Australian retailer published a list on their site ages in advance? Though it was limited editions, these included a T9 long before Hornby actually announced it. There were rapid official denials, which reminded me of a line from 'Yes Minister' - first rule of politics: never believe anything until it's been officially denied.

I received a Tweet along the lines of Hornby 2011. Click the link 'Only Joking'. There are some funny people around.

The REx issue must be a 'title' thing because the editor changed recently. The Hornby thing is nearly as good as the guesswork surrounding the Blades next manager.

Guest dilbert

I did smile when I saw one of these sort of postings on another site today followed by "Mummy; I know what I want for Christmas next year" and I don't think he was joking!

Maybe this person went to his local estate agent and found a pyramid near to the Ideal Home Exhibition ? A question only of priorities ...dilbert

Guest Belgian

doesn't understand simple concepts such as "marquetting"

...dilbert

Nor do I. Is it the art of putting up marquees?!! (Sorry, couldn't resist it - Happy Christmas!)

JE

If only it was so, we retailers have to wait until the clock has struck midnight like everyone else. No information is passed to us until then like it used to be until a few years ago .............................

So when do retailers get their advanced catalogues and order forms nowadays ?

So when do retailers get their advanced catalogues and order forms nowadays ?

My rep is pretty good and I expect he will email the order forms to me over the Christmas weekend ready for our visit to Margate in January. Last year I actually got it late Christmas Eve after the shops had shut so there was little or no opportunity to let anything slip. However if the Airfix releases are anything to go by I'm looking forward to seeing the Hornby/Scalextric lists. Although rather worryingly most of the new 2011 tools will not appear until 2012.

Dave

When you say HST-E do you mean the experimental HST from 1972 or the HST-Electric which was cancelled in 1984 (the three Mk 3B BFOs were built to run in this train)?

Come to think of it, let's have both!

Yes point taken, the experimental one from 1972.....

Also the 4th hybrid HST-E and ATP-P power cars with a few research MK1's (Mentor I think was one)that kicked about briefly in the late 70's.........bring it on!!!!!

OK, back to reality....a certain magazine indicates the ATP or HST prototypes are unlikely to appear in 2011 ~ well from Hornby at least....... :sad_mini2:

Embargo; anyone else reminded of thisclassic tv sitcom episode?

Aye, and a proper classic at that (reminds me, must order Series 2!).

I'm tempted to nip back upstairs come the announcement and switch the computer back on, alas I fear the hop based falling down water may have got to me by then! I wouldn't be surprised if the thread has moved on several more pages by the time I click the start up button around mid morning, armed with a brew :D

Nidge

Yes, all commendably civilised and light-hearted for which we are extremely appreciative. I did smile when I saw one of these sort of postings on another site today followed by "Mummy; I know what I want for Christmas next year" and I don't think he was joking!

I see this as much as a discussion of what it might be sensible to do as what Hornby might actually do. Of course the two do not necessarily coincide, especially given Hornby's penchant for glamour models, but then perhaps the contributors to this site are not representative of Hornby's customer base taken as a whole, even excluding the 'Railroad' side. For example, for Hornby to have done so many teak Gresley coaches, people must buy them in spite of their well-known issues.

It's a much better informed and sensible discussion than some wish-list polls, which I feel can be too random and produce odd results because either the questions are not well thought out or the respondents tick a box without really understanding what they are voting for. Still polls do produce sensible results some of the time. Hawksworth stock certainly came up on polls before Hornby did them. I understand they have sold well too.

Hi All,

If indeed they are releasing the 5Bel, this would surely make Hornby the market leader. If they are releasing nearly 200 new models, as has been said here, you will surely need a double decker to shift them all. I must commend Hornby on the way they keep it all hush hush. Looking forward to Xmas Day.

Cheers for now, Ian

I must commend Hornby on the way they keep it all hush hush. Looking forward to Xmas Day.

It's not Hornby who should be commended, but the people from the model railway press who were invited to the press briefing in Margate (possibly with the exception of Rail Express) and all those others with legitimate access to the embargoed press release kit, who need to be commended.

• RMweb Gold

Embargo; anyone else reminded of thisclassic tv sitcom episode?

One of those fellahs was on the same train as me the other evening and I have to say that Rodney Bewes doesn't seem to have aged at all well (the bloodshot eyes didn't help). BTW this isn't a hint about something North Eastern being in the line up is it?

Archived