Hornby 2011

dibber25

Had a very interesting day with Hornby yesterday - lots of excitement to come! See the Hornby website on Christmas day.

The visitor centre at Margate is very good and well worth a visit. The Hornby-Dublo display with Elvis playing in the background really takes you back to the 1950s. There are some great Airfix dioramas, too and to round it off there's a shop full of goodies.

CHRIS LEIGH

Sweet :) Looking forward to the official reveal for all this.

I'm presuming the normal embargo is in place (and obviously here is not the place to debate the rights and wrongs of such arrangements or scream about the "unfairness" of it all), and I'm presuming that the Mods would like us to "play nice" and not froth too much on this thread (after all, things aren't going to dramatically change between now and Christmas no matter how hard we wish for something).

Hi.

No things won't change but it is fun to guess.

My forecast is that Hornby will do for the ER what they have done for the SR. Start with a couple of well known types, ie B17, L1, then follow up with smaller pre grouping types. My guess, and I really hope I am right, is for a ex GER D16/3 4-4-0 with full side valances.

Roger.

Froth, what froth? Christmas will come soon enough, and this year with the surfeit of models already promised by multiple suppliers, I don't think the collective "we" really care to get all lathered up with the Hornby guessing game palaver this year.

Besides, for many items, their lead time from announcement to availability now frequently exceeds 12 months, making the "new announcements" less of an immediate concern and more of a 'nice to know' what's in the production funnel. We shall all see in just over two weeks from now.

• RMweb Premium

In terms of new tooling, I'm predicting they'll bring out a superdetailed B12, a D34 NBR/LNER Glen 4-4-0 for those with Scottish interests and a class 73 to new spec for the Southern.

Also Maunsell push-pull TO and BCK.

In terms of reliveries and variations on existing models, 101s in NSE and Strathclyde orange/black, a RFM in Virgin red/grey livery and high-windowed Maunsells in olive green.

More locos to be available with digital sound: 8F, King Arthur, Bulleid Pacific (both original and rebuilt) and A3

Glad to see that the embargo has popped off the top of the froth machine...

As GWR 175 was a bit low-key perhaps Hornby wil make up for it by using some existing tooling for a quick win - chocolate and cream Hawksworths in a couple of diagrams, as well as using the Castle tooling as the basis for a quick Star. With their range of tenders they can cover the last three survivors of the class in BR livery too - see GWRJ 76 letters page for details.

A Maunsell TO would go with the other coaches and then they could produce the rebuilt push-pull sets too, as mentioned above.

I would not be at all surprised to see more Pullmans - there are five different bodyshells in the six coaches of the Bournemouth Belle, and only a couple have been released individually so far.

Finally, they have the Schools tender, so perhaps they might modfy it to make a Southern Region snowplough - I suspect it might be needed before the winter's over. ;)

As GWR 175 was a bit low-key perhaps Hornby wil make up for it by using some existing tooling for a quick win - using the Castle tooling as the basis for a quick Star. With their range of tenders they can cover the last three survivors of the class in BR livery too - see GWRJ 76 letters page for details.

Relative to comments about a "quick" Star I have a couple of observations:

1. The new Castle tooling is already broken. Delays to Tintagel Castle are attributed to this.

2. I'd like to see some more (any) GWR versions with the repaired tooling before they give up on it

3. While I'd really love to see a Star, why not make it a really good one? It shouldn't be a 'quick' and dirty one and not at the cost of the Castle tooling. The Castle is too versatile a locomotive to abandon tooling so soon.

• RMweb Gold

Prediction No 1.

As it was so fashionable a little while back I bet they've railroaded BP but added a definite article to that process.

Prediction No. 2

If they do anything at all about a new pannier tank it will probably be the wrong era for me.

Prediction No.3

I reckon they are more likely to do something new (or major revamped) for 'the Eastern' than they are for 'the Western'.

Prediction No.4

I will keep to myself for now but be prepared for a shock.

Predictions, some based on logic (for which I didn't do too badly last year), some based on wishful thinking.

Maybe's

Its been some time since we've seen new D&E motive power from Hornby (Cl.56 was the last new loco)

Given the sucess (?) of the Mk3 DVT I'll bet we're going to get either a new 90, or 87, but 90 would cover more bases (WCML, EAML, Scotrail, EWS ....) (Logic)

... but they have just released some new livery Class 90's so this could upset retailers who will be left with old stock.... but it they didn't seem to care with the Castles!!!

All singing All Dancing Class 67 (wishful thinking)

BR 8P (Wishful thinking, but who knows.... drool!)

BP for railroad (if the tooling can be reused; this is a technical conditionality and not one I would put money on).

NRM Range - either Caerphilly Castle or C1 (the Q1 has been in the range for years and they havn't done C1 yet!)

... unless they release a new model with an NRM member - ignoring the NRM's 1/4-VEP)

Something for the London Midland Region - they haven't expanded this sector recently - Midland Compound anyone (yes, its a 4-4-0!!!)?)

High window olive-green Maunsells (they indicaited their intention to vary the tooling when first launched - I'm still waiting!!!!) (wishful but logical!)

A4 60011 Empire of India (logic).

I would also hazard a guess at a new 'collection' being launched (to replace the commonwealth).

An “a†version of the Hawskworth, and maybe some in Chocolate/Cream (I don't know if anything other than the BCK's were so painted, and orphans won't sell well).

I seem to recall there are some 'missing' or sold out HST trailers go with some pre-existing power cars. We'll get those.

Uncertain maybe's

I'm unsure of a GWR King - nice as it would be, I just can't see it so soon after the castle... but we did get heavy and light Pacifics a couple of years.

B'ton Belle - will there be mfg capacity to produce the VEP and a Belle.

What there won't be:

A new NRM Scotsman - they will wait until the NRM have announced what condition the loco will appear in. This will be a model for 2012.

A Gresley P2 (Bachmann will do it if the A1ST do the real thing!)

New Tooled coaches (unless they do a Belle!).

Hornby to ditch the UK, sell their tools to Dapol and turn their attentions to the emerging markets of India and China in the interests of their shareholders ;)

Since now you're just being sarcastic, in the interests of shareholders, and to maximize return on their multiple licensing agreements with the London 2012 committee, Hornby will shift all manufacturing capacity to the manufacture of Mandeville and Wenlock 2012 figurines, keyrings, bottle openers etc, and Corgi London taxis and buses in London 2012 liveries.

All sales efforts will be focused on supplying London 2012 items (including commemorative 50p coins from the Royal Mint) to knick knack shops in museums and airports.

Predictions, some based on logic (for which I didn't do too badly last year), some based on wishful thinking.

My commentary in blue from the thread quoted ...

Maybe's

BP for railroad (if the tooling can be reused).

Plasible - Mike the Stationmaster suggested this too.

NRM Range - Caerphilly Castle

Very plausible, This just makes sense.

Something for the London Midland Region - they haven't expanded this sector recently - Midland Compound anyone (yes, its a 4-4-0!!!)?)

I'd go LNER constituent. GCR Director or GER Super Claude, but 4-4-0, yes, and not made by Sanda Kan.

A4 60011 Empire of India (logic).

Agreed

Uncertain maybe's

B'ton Belle - will there be mfg capacity to produce the VEP and a Belle.

Plausible. Hornby really does like the Pullmans. Now that the ice is broken on EMUs, it's only a matter of time before someone does the 5-BEL in plastic.

What there won't be:

New Tooled coaches (unless they do a Belle!).

Agreed. Not until their supply chain issues are fully sorted out.

• RMweb Gold

Have you been officially invited to cut the opening tape for the frothing season Chris?laugh.gif

I don't normally froth, but as we are in a recession surely smaller and cheaper locos must be something worthy of consideration? So I would like to put forward a 64xx Pannier, perhaps with a Hawksworth Autocoach to go with it? Seeing we already have the new Hawksworth coaches! ;)

Regards,

Nick.

In the interest of new smaller cheaper models how about a revisit of some of the steam shunters? In the recent Model Rail 2011 review, other than those yet to be released, only two shunters were rated above 80%. The rest look ripe for replacing, Just a thought... <BR><BR>Failing that how about some updating of existing models? Classes 59, 101 and 73 spring to mind.

Guest Max Stafford

I strongly believe Hornby will be taking the Eastern path this year although I hope the Southern boys get a Drummond 700 too!

Well, it looks just like a Jock engine and might shorten the odds for a Jumbo...! ;)

Dave.

Had a very interesting day with Hornby yesterday - lots of excitement to come! See the Hornby website on Christmas day.

The visitor centre at Margate is very good and well worth a visit. The Hornby-Dublo display with Elvis playing in the background really takes you back to the 1950s. There are some great Airfix dioramas, too and to round it off there's a shop full of goodies.

CHRIS LEIGH

What?! Elvis was at the Hornby Centre? if word got out about his liking model trains imagine the sales figures on how many Elvis train sets there would be. No doubt faulty ones would have to be Returned to Sender?

Bet people get all shook up about this....

I'll stop now....

Archived