Hornby 2011

dibber25

So no real reason for any embargo.

"Staff training", if necessary, can be done before any embargo. And magazines can adjust their print runs to suit (or do Hornby think magazines are more important than their customers ?) - in addition, only one or two magazines are going to be the "lucky" ones to be printed near the announcemnt date.

The embargo is out-of-date, a relic of the pre-internet era. Hornby should try to keep up with the times.

Come on, it's just a bit of fun and all adds to the Christmas spirit.

Probably be tomorrow afternoon before I get a peek on the computer anyway.

Hope everyone has a Joyful and Peaceful Christmas.

Peter

I obviously wasted my time responding giving reasons (the comment you make above is therefore opinion rather than fact and I'm not debating opinion); I should have just ignored the shouty bold capitals and got on with my breakfast in peace and quiet.

Tell you what; drop Hornby a line next time.

I don't have the R numbers for some of the items that would fall into your criteria Robert to absolutely confirm that they are R****A but I believe they contribute toward the 200+ figure mentioned.

Not that I've stopped to count the items nor will I be listing every re-livery within the wagon section for example in tonight's announcement.

Thanks for the explanation. 200 'new' items seems more plausible if it includes such things. Also the Railroad range of course - of no interest to me personally but a good way for Hornby to reach a wide market overall.

Guest dilbert

"Staff training", if necessary, can be done before any embargo. And magazines can adjust their print runs to suit (or do Hornby think magazines are more important than their customers ?) - in addition, only one or two magazines are going to be the "lucky" ones to be printed near the announcemnt date.

The embargo is out-of-date, a relic of the pre-internet era. Hornby should try to keep up with the times.

Look at it this way - for Hornby this is a brilliant & fruitful marketing exercise - set up the initial communication point with their channel and other partners and this little baby just runs by itself... if this wasn't the case then the format would have changed a long time ago...

This is not outdated marketing for the simple reason that it works - everyone is talking about Hornby and this, in the build up to probably the most important part of their financial year, where people from all sorts of backgrounds, with all sorts of interests will have a window on the hobby and will be spending money ...

Don't get hung up about it - relax and see what the outcome is (or isn't, dependent on your point of view)... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

WHY HAVE AN EMBARGO ANYWAY ?

There's always one ...

WHY BE A MEMBER OF A FORUM AND NOT FOLLOW THE WISHES OF THE OWNER ?

WHY SHOUT ?

WHY WHY WHY DELIAH ?

T - 5 hrs 40 minutes and counting ..., personally I'm happy to wait, Andy's house, Andy's rules and all that

The embargo's great as usual, got us all guessing and frothing which has become part of MY Christmas!

We are all Railway Modellers so lets face it, we are all winners one way or another!:lol:

I am staying up till just after midnight, and who knows,.........

I might just get to see Santa!:lol:

Andy, well done mate on keeping it tight! ;) :drink_mini: :yahoo_mini:

So go and tell them then, don't bother us with it.

As Dave says, there's one every year - this year, it happens to be you fool_mini.gif

t's the ultimate 47 (a Bach-Jan beater of the finest order) no rivets, tubbiness or dodgy fuel tanks - one to silence even PennineMC wink.gif

Oi - I'm easily pleased, I amblum_mini.gif

I obviously wasted my time responding giving reasons (the comment you make above is therefore opinion rather than fact and I'm not debating opinion); I should have just ignored the shouty bold capitals and got on with my breakfast in peace and quiet.

Tell you what; drop Hornby a line next time.

Go on Andy, ban him Andy. Use your superhuman powers!

Happy humbug

Ed

err, breakfast at 18:28 ?

The embargo's great as usual, got us all guessing and frothing which has become part of MY Christmas!

Indeed, it is all part of the fun :D

Maybe Bachmann should annouce theirs tonight too instead of (IIRC) Feb, double the froth :rolleyes:

I understand that Hornby are going to do an XXL-sized station sign, for those of us modelling Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

(well, it could happen)

Well funnily enough I was in Toymaster in Sunderland the other day (don't ask) and came across a Hornby wagon (open - long wheelbase) with that very name plastered along the side. Still retaining a modicum of taste and discrimination despite the increasing decreptitude I passed up the opportunity to buy it, but I've no ideas where it sprang from.

• RMweb Gold

Bill Stickers Will Be Band.

Embargoes are common with news, but it does look like a marketing exercise.

But who cares? (well apart from one or tworolleyes.gif). Clearly an embargo assumes even greater importance in the age of instant (depends on your ISP actually) communication and in this particular case it's all a bit of good fun with something a bit different to look forward to on Christmas Eve or whatever day it hits in your Time Zone. and if you don't like it for any reason I haven't noticed anywhere that it's compulsory to join in - all you have to do is wait although I appreciate that can be awkward in this age of instant gratification (hopefully not the sort of 'gratification' which seems to happen when old diesels show their yellow snouts at Carlisle laugh.gif, which reminds of a true story about a Summer Saturday on the S&DJt although i don't think eitehr 7Fs or 9Fs were the spur...).

Bill Stickers Will Be Band.

Embargoes are common with news, but it does look like a marketing exercise.

It certainly does no harm from the point of view of getting Hornby in everyone's mind. There might be a longer-term function too as if you looked back over discussions a few years ago, you will probably find references to good ideas for things Hornby might do in future, some of which they have since done. If I were Simon Kohler I would read this thread for that purpose, ie as a source of ideas. There have certainly been plenty of good, well-informed suggestions floated this year.

I deal with confidential things all the time at work but they don't often appear in the general news, even when released to the public. On the odd occasion when they do make the news, it can be interesting to compare the news spin put on something with my knowledge from a different angle.

Things can leak out in all manner of ways - speaking on a mobile phone when in a public area is a particularly hazardous thing. Laptop screens can be very easy to read over someone's shoulder if they are not using a privacy filter. The Hornby or Bachmann equivalent might be visiting a preserved railway to have a good look at a loco. It was well known a few years ago that Hornby had taken a close look at the preserved T9. Ditto Bachmann with the O4.

One of the likely 2011 Hornby releases half-leaked so long ago that people have probably forgotten the posts on the Yahoo Group in question by now (no it wasn't one of my groups). Those who knew what was going on and that there was real substance to the suggestion clearly managed to keep the full story under their hats. The membership of that group is such that there is a good chance that some members knew what was going on.

Having read REx today (no, I'm not telling) a few comments from a while back that I found via a search of that Yahoo Group suddenly made a whole lot more sense.

Anyway, it's one way to spend Christmas Eve whilst the scanner is chugging away at some negatives.

• RMweb Gold

One of the reasons why any organisation would do something like this is to manage the story, in PR terms. Also to generate excitement - after all we've got 33 pages on rmweb talking about Hornby and their new releases - and thats before we get to discuss what they actually are.

Its advertising you couldnt buy. Good luck to them, I say.

Archived