Anyone used this ebay seller?

McC

• RMweb Gold

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/connect-ions/

I ordered some of their corridor connections, which never arrived, they got very 'lecturing' with me, as if somehow it being lost in the post was my fault, and nothing to do with them...

What's the general opinion on this? If you order from a supplier, and the item simply never arrives (even if they claim to have proof of postage) - is it up to the supplier to 'make it right'?

End of the day, I've spent over 50 pounds with them, have nothing to show for it, and now they are refusing to even talk to me about it!!

• RMweb Gold

If you order from a supplier, and the item simply never arrives (even if they claim to have proof of postage) - is it up to the supplier to 'make it right'?

Strictly speaking it's Royal Mail's responsibility to ensure that goods are delivered - The seller should provide the proof of postage to the buyer so that he can claim against the RM for compensation (up to ??39 for first class).

A business would tend to do this the other way round and refund the customer and make the claim against RM themselves, but as this was an eBay seller you might not expect this "service" from the seller.

Having said that I've had one item do astray to a fellow member and I made the claim on his behalf and then posted a cheque when RM payed out. Only problem in doing it this way is that the money from RM was in my name, so I had to bank the cheque and them write out my own to refund the buyer. If the byer makes the claim the money is in his name so it's a bit less hassle and trips to the bank etc for the seller ......

Surely under the distance selling regulations, which cover purchases made on-line, the seller has to make a refund, even if the items have gone astray. This regulation applies to all internet purchases, not just Ebay, but NOT auctions!

If I were you, I would download a summons form on-line, fill it out but not register it at your local court and send him a copy, with a note to pay up in seven days. If he has not paid in ten days, start proceedings in the Small Claims Court. Have a look on line as it can be done quickly through the clearing system. Any trader would like to keep his reputation intact and the last thing he would need is a CCJ!

Handyman

HI

When you placed the order with him you should have a recorded of it on your eBay account, this is your proof of perches.

You can use this as part of your case in the small claims court

Just send him an email saying that you are taking him to the small claim court, I bet that gets him to do something!

Good luck

All the best

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Strictly speaking it's Royal Mail's responsibility to ensure that goods are delivered - The seller should provide the proof of postage to the buyer so that he can claim against the RM for compensation (up to ??39 for first class).

Unfortunatly thats not the case, while it is RM's responsibility to sort the delivery, its only the person who posted it thats able to claim. (or at least thats what RM said when something I had posted to someone else was lost in their black hole system...)

• 4 weeks later...

royal mail have a claim form for items that go missing in the post, it also includes a section on the back especially for ebay items. This means they can check the transaction and make a desion based upon there own search online.

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunatly thats not the case, while it is RM's responsibility to sort the delivery, its only the person who posted it thats able to claim. (or at least thats what RM said when something I had posted to someone else was lost in their black hole system...)

Yes, in the UK at least it is the seller's responsibility to ensure delivery, the buyer has no contract with the delivery service and hence is not the right person to file a claim. Plenty of eBay sellers will try it on of course :-/

This CAB leaflet is a useful guide to buying in the UK:-

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/c_buying_over_the_internet.pdf

EDIT : and sections 3.2 and 3.36 of this document from the office of fair trading make it 100% clear that goods are 100% the sellers' responsibility until delivered,and sellers cannot separately charge insurance - although in this context 'seller' means a business not a private individual I think.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just a note to all

When buying on Ebay I used to pay via paypal via my credit card for doulbe protection.

I had a problem with a seller who said they would refund me ??30 via cheque, if I cancelled the paypal dispute only for the cheque not to arrive!

As the dispute had been openend and then closed it could'nt be re-opened again as per paypal's rules

I tried my credit card who EVENTUALLY came back with "not their problem" as my their contract was between them and paypal not the seller and that paypal would have to sort it out, as 45 days had passed Paypal washed their hands of it leaving me stuck with a ??60 loss and very annoyed be aware i think that Credit card funded purchases on Ebay via paypal does NOT afford you the protection that you would have say if you bought from a shop!

• 3 months later...

Archived