EMU Identification

Dieselbob

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the link I have seen some of the photos before however there were some really interesting shots; I particularly liked the 4COR at Willesden Junction. I have a kit of a 2BIL waiting to be built at home for my Croxley WRD layout it will be 2111 as I remember seeing that unit at Clapham Junction in 1971.

Oh, dear! You do make me feel old! My 1961/2 ABC tells me that I saw all the BILs, HALs, CORs etc etc etc...

• RMweb Premium

I can almost claim that feat. A few of the wartime BIL / HAL / COR withdrawals were before my time and a very few other early-casualty BIL units eluded me. But I spent several years travelling to school on them. When the BIL and HAL units went we got the CORs which caused some problems; the school trains were always 6-car to cope with the loadings so 4COR wasn't enough. The SR put on 8COR which didn't fit in the 6-car Coastway platforms and was abused as an excuse for late arrival in school by some lads who insisted on travelling in the last two coaches!

2090, 2111 and 3135 were among the regulars.

• 3 weeks later...

My uncle was on the 4-COR and 2-BIL tours mentioned, if there's interest I'll dig out his slides from them.

As promised, here's one of Petes slides. There's another 20 or so from this trip but he's asked me to hold them back as he's planning to do 'something' with them... quite what that something is I don't know.

image1copyright.jpg

It's got a beautiful shabbiness about the scene I think!

Pix

IIRC there was a double junction at Richmond between the SR and NL/DR lines, along with a couple of electrified sidings which ended up in Pioneer coaches yard! the sidings were de-energised and not used for years. I think the double junction was taken out in about 1972 when the place was resignalled, leaving only a non-electrified connection via the centre bay platform.

That was later electrified from the SR to the NL/DR side when the 2EPBs were used on the NL. Prior to that, the only regular train to use that bay was a daily parcels working.

Incidentally, the green 2BIL was used in about 1982 for a film job one Sunday at Waterloo. It was fitted with smoke units as the film was supposedly on steam stock. Special instructions were sent to all signalboxes just in case other drivers reported a train on fire!

I was told to take the unit ECS back to Wimbledon Park, but one of the union reps claimed the turn..

Archived