Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Christmas Quiz

Andy Y

No worries, it came from referencing content with a multitude of spellings even though it was originally written as 'scepter'd' which implies the apostrophe replaced an 'e' so maybe it isn't actually correct but a word whose spelling has morphed over time. Anyway, enough of apostrophes as it'll give the game away. ;)

Well at least I've tried.

I know where the text comes from, I've looked at the picture in great detail (which has had an influence on where I'm searching) and I've poured through my Pre-Grouping Atlas and Gazetteer.

Still no nearer an answer. :(

Can we talk about it now and try and get the answer by combining our "talents"?

JE

I've just come home from Trafford Centre madness, noticed Andy had reposted the photo and last two answers were still available, so looked again at the many places the Duke of Lancaster had connections with except the obvious one, when I tried that, I thought "Bingo" sent it off, came back on here and discovered the second and third place had gone.

This is a very frustrating quiz.

Keep it up Andy

Guest Belgian

Andy will be giving us the answer in 5 minutes anyway.

Silly me, I was thinking this had gone on less than an hour ago - I was forgetting RMWeb works in its own time zone, so 19.00 wasn't nearly an hour ago.

Day 3 answer

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,

This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,

This other Eden, demi-paradise,

This fortress built by Nature for herself

Against infection and the hand of war,

This happy breed of men, this little world,

This precious stone set in the silver sea,

Which serves it in the office of a wall,

Or as a moat defensive to a house,

Against the envy of less happier lands,

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

There's a bit of Shakespeare at his patriotic best in Richard II, the speech being made by John of Gaunt.

On the roof of the station you may just be able to make out the number 70012, Britannia Class 'John of Gaunt'.

On the chimney you may also be able to make out the number 87 013 which was again 'John O' Gaunt.

The picture is of John O'Gaunt Station (GN/LNW Joint), 6 miles south of Melton Mowbray.

Congratulations to Western Sunset, Dave F and Nick Holliday for taking 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively.

The leader board as it stands after 3 days is:

6pts - Dave47549

3pts - Western Sunset

2pts - jwealleans

2pts - swampy

2pts - Nick Holliday

2pts - DaveF

Well I managed the jigsaw in 20 minutes, put the person's name into Google and only found an architect that made a church (I won't say where in case it is relevant). It's probably not though as I got the answer wrong.

• RMweb Gold

Mrs PT completed the 2nd jigsaw in just over 20 minutes.

I did the jigsaw in less than 10 minutes - honest and then found the lead in Wikipaedia of all places (it has a picture of the tomb and from there the answer was easy). Only problem was I started too latesad.gif; but at least I've actually managed to solve onecool.gif.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I managed the jigsaw on the 4th attempt, it seems Google Chrome opens a dodgy one from the jumble sale with quite a few of the pieces missing... opened it in IE and there they all were. Still haven't the foggiest what to do with the resulting picture of a churchy thing, still can't find these numbers on the station in the photo before... What am I missing??? HELP!!!

Archived