Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Christmas Quiz

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Last night's puzzle didn't get started 'til after 11, as we'd been out to a show (that proved to be rather less than expected, so we left at the interval), and I messed with the puzzle for half an hour finishing my wine! Didn't quite finish the perimeter!

I was amazed at the speed with which some folk did it - two positions on the leaderboard gone by 20.30 and i was still looking for perimeter pieces having started 28 minutes earlier (I never found all of themblink.gif) but having got a face and then a viaduct I put 2 and two together and paid a visit to Google - put in the name I'd put to the face and got the very same picture as the jigsaw, remarkable. So I've now managed to solve 2 (alright so I know it's out of 7 but the fun is in getting one right as far as I'm concerned).

Today's clue has caused a bit of household discussion. My wife says I'm being too hard on you lot whilst I've defended this by illustrating the collective capacity for dealing with obscure clues. I know the clues aren't easy and they're intended to stretch the grey matter but is the balance somewhere between this and an ITV phone-in competition? It then becomes a matter of speed rather than skill in my eyes if we 'dumb-down'.

Meanwhile my 13 year old just busted today's clue. laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

Today's clue has caused a bit of household discussion. My wife says I'm being too hard on you lot whilst I've defended this by illustrating the collective capacity for dealing with obscure clues. I know the clues aren't easy and they're intended to stretch the grey matter but is the balance somewhere between this and an ITV phone-in competition? It then becomes a matter of speed rather than skill in my eyes if we 'dumb-down'.

The only down side to what you're doing I can see is that if members are not able to be online when the day's clue is posted, they don't get a real chance to win some points.

Maybe if we had until 12:00 midday on the day after the clue is posted to supply an answer, and then correct 1st, 2nd & 3rd places were randomly picked, it might even things up a bit.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

I've done pretty badly this year, but wouldn't want the format changed. It's the same as my very limited tv consumption - Uni Challenge and Only Connect are worthwhile, Eggheads etc are derisory. No dumbing down, TVM!

Day 7 answers

Although the jigsaw was time consuming for many some took the short cut of focussing on the face/figure and the clue in the background. This gave an image of Thomas Telford to give an answer of Telford or Telford Central.

The updated leaderboard is now:

9pts - Western Sunset

8pts - Dave47549

5pts - jwealleans

4pts - DaveF

3pts - newcastle_central

3pts - jonhall

2pts - swampy

2pts - Nick Holliday

2pts - Dagworth

2pts - Tim

1pt - Stubby47

Day 8 clue will follow shortly so you can enjoy the rest of the evening when it's out of the way (and me!). Day 9 (tomorrow) will have two separate clues and answers.

• RMweb Gold

I think Stu is making a sensible point there in some respects - unless you are also looking to take speed into account unsure.gif. I missed one day by several hours (didn't matter anyway as I never solved it). Although I was almost in at the off yesterday was my loss of one place down to my jigsawing (non)ability, my inability to recognise Telford until I put the part completed viaduct next to his face, or the time I spent checking the exact station name? In reality of course none of that mattered - I was pipped at the post, end of story and no complaint from me because whatever happens one PM will always be first, and so on.

As for the clues - I think they're great although I would probably think they were even better if I could get more answers. But so what, it's all great fun so please keep it the way it is in terms of difficulty level.

• RMweb Gold

Clues in urdu would be easily as accessible, but I don't mind at all. Another fine year of RMWeb, and at 40 minutes to the Witching Hour here in Froggy France, may I give in gracefully and wish all who sail in the good ship RMWeb a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year 2011!

• RMweb Premium

Today's clue has caused a bit of household discussion. My wife says I'm being too hard on you lot whilst I've defended this by illustrating the collective capacity for dealing with obscure clues. I know the clues aren't easy and they're intended to stretch the grey matter

Grey matter being the operative word. Who else does jigsaw puzzles in black & white?

Kevin Martin

Nope, got me stumped - and there's never a 13 year old around to help when you need one...

There's still points up for grabs for 2nd and 3rd spot. A lot of people have obviously got the significance of the last two symbols but needed to find the context of the first six.

Thank goodness for that, I can stop thinking about it now!

Echo that.

If, has been suggested, there's as 12:00 noon cutoff and hat draw, then all of us would be up all night trying to solve the ****ing thing! At least this gives us some time off!

[Edit] And before anyone says that it's not compulsory, I know it isn't. But it is addictive!

• RMweb Gold

Ok, as the points have gone, here's where I got to.

The first six symbols are the Microsoft Wingdings for I J K L M and N, the two crests are Slytherin and Griyffindor.

How does that equate to a station ? I thought it might be King's Cross, but it seemed too easy and didn't use all the elements.

Unless it is and I can't see why...

Archived