Industrial locos in RTR and kit form

A1 Models did a kit in 4mm and the same conversion opportunity presents itself. Essentially leaving off the short bonnet and adding a low transmission cover.

Mercian also do a kit in 4mm and 7mm. From what I've seen the body is the same etch as the A1 kit but with a different chassis.

Other differences between the industrial and BR versions are the bufferbeams and the radiator grill.

A few Class 04s were built by Drewry/RSH/EE for direct sale to industry, mostly with the CEGB. A few of these survive: the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire has two Drewry/RSH examples (or had; one of them may have been cut up for spares), and there is an English Electric built 04 lookalike at the embryonic Aln Valley Railway's Wooler restoration base.

It's more the other way round: Drewry built (via a number of sub-contractors) their own design, for domestic and export use and later sold some to BR with a few modifications in exactly the same fashion as did Ruston, Barclay, etc. There's at least one of these preserved:

http://www.preservedshunters.co.uk/psh_shunter.php?class=104&loco=DVF.D78

Returning to topic, NB Models do quite a nice whitemetal kit for an austerity tank. I'm not sure about the possibility of a High Level chassis however, though if it were to come to pass...

Adam

Some time ago there was an article in a magazine to describe the conversion of the Hunslet Austerity to be back dated to a 50550.

Was that mine? RM 2000-ish?

DSCF2627.jpg

DSCF2629.jpg

Hopefully I could do better now but it was a fun conversion! Now I'd rewheel it and do a lot more but as it is, it's a straightforward conversion.

At the same time as the Gnat was out in the 1950's, Jamieson produced an 0-4-0 industrial tank engine kit. It was not based on any particular prototype.

Has anyone mentioned the industrial Garrett (see Gordon A's icon above) kit from Bachwoods or the 0-4- 0 from Kingdom kits (thing it was a Bagnall but can't be sure)?

Mike Wiltshire

4mm/00

Nonneminstre did a couple of whitemetal kits. A Hibberd (FH) 4wDM (the type based on a Kent Construction frame) .....

They still do, or at least did very recently as I bought one. The problem is that if you don't use the SPUD chassis (which I don't want to) the only altenative is to make your own (Hollywood Foundry are unable to produce one that fits)

Stu

• 4 weeks later...

For something a bit bigger , Old Originals do a kit for a Ruston 48DS in 1:32 scale (gauge 1)..............

post-7062-0-61693800-1297415844_thumb.jpg

Nice. I guess this is by the chap who was selling them at that O gauge do at Shepshed last year? There was another chap working on a Gauge 3 version. I took some contact details but have lost them. Would anyone know who it was and how to find them? I've got to have one just as a static model on the shelf.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, I guess that's the one. I won't be buying one for a long time though. I'm rather skint and I'm after one of these first anyhow.

post-494-0-77303600-1299432139_thumb.jpg

O gauge 48DS brass kit or available RTR from Electrifying Trains. Seen at the Kettering show yesterday and will be available in a couple of weeks. They also had a pre-production O gauge 88DS on show but that won't be ready until the Telford show (sorry no pic, my phone couldn't cope with the dim lighting). Looks like that bloke with the Impetus range has missed the boat now... :lol:

Yep, I guess that's the one. I won't be buying one for a long time though. I'm rather skint and I'm after one of these first anyhow.

I wonder if there are any intentions to shrink it to 4mm ?

• 3 months later...

do peco make any N gauge 2mm scale industrial engine body kits or have they been discontinued? i have seen some picture of industrial engines in some old peco promotional pics

I'm sure they don't make them now. I had a PECO catalogue about 5 years ago and they weren't in that. They do come up occcasionally on that internet auction site but, personally, I wouldn't bother. They go for a lot of money for what they are.

I bought, second hand, one of the Peckett 0-4-0STs. It was built up and with the chassis that it was designed to fit. The body was way overscale in width and the rods and what was meant to be valve gear were rubbish plastic things and nothing like a British loco. The massive wheel flanges were ugly too.

Basically it's rubbish. It may have been alright 20 years ago when most of the mainline N gauge stuff was equally rubbish but it won't cut it now. It could be OK if you don't ever park it near another loco or look at it end-on.

• 3 weeks later...

The old Triang Dock shunter would make a good industrial. Many were in plain red or black with a number on the cab.

But would it really? On a trainset (as it was made for) but not in the context of a detailed scale model railway, which most of us have. IIRC it had massively overscale wheel flanges that probably won't run through modern pointwork. It was quite a coarse model to begin with too.

So you'd need to replace the wheels, maybe replace the mechanism too, detail it with handrails, glazing etc. and then there's the biggest problem for me - it isn't a prototype of anything, is it?

It would be the diesel equivalent of the L&Y Pug that has had a bit of a cut n shut, a repaint and is then called an "industrial" almost as if industrial locos weren't made by any particular company and weren't identifiable simply because they didn't carry TOPS or a railway company number.

Sorry if that reads like a bit of a rant but it's one of the things I find really annoying, especially when carried out by people who care about the placing of every rivet and signal on other aspects of their model railways.

If only they'd pay as much attention to the motive power of the industrial pemises on their railways... Thankfully it's something we see less of nowadays but let's not encourage that sort of thing, eh? :)

and cue the "it's my trainset..." brigade...

• 3 weeks later...

Dave, I agree entirely with what you're saying!

The L&Y Pug is a such a cliche for industrial sidings - often sidings which could never justify a locomotive. And normally no effort is made to replace things like the very distinctive dumb buffers to even try and make it look like a small industrial rather than a mainline company's loco.

In its defence there have been a couple of conversions which have caught my eye - Neil Rushby's converted example(s) have just used the bare dones of the Pug (and I think they're from Airfix kits too which lends itself to more 'hacking' than the Dapol/Hornby version) and one, I think, on Horse Lunges in its orignal EM guage form, it had been used as the basis for a small Peckett. It worked because it looked like a Peckett and not a Pug!

I'm surprised more people haven't used the Bachmann 04 as a basis for industrial locos as so many of them did entry indsutry. Maybe they're just not as pretty as the Pug?

• 5 months later...

One that seems not to have been mentioned yet is the Backwoods Doxford Crane Tank- a little swine to build, and just as bad to keep on the track- mine needs to run permanently coupled to the plate wagon to stop it turning sideways every time it encounters a point frog- even on finescale track.....post-13358-0-46423800-1326640694_thumb.jpg

and yes, it has lost a hook.........

• 2 months later...

Dave, I agree entirely with what you're saying!

The L&Y Pug is a such a cliche for industrial sidings - often sidings which could never justify a locomotive. And normally no effort is made to replace things like the very distinctive dumb buffers to even try and make it look like a small industrial rather than a mainline company's loco.

In its defence there have been a couple of conversions which have caught my eye - Neil Rushby's converted example(s) have just used the bare dones of the Pug (and I think they're from Airfix kits too which lends itself to more 'hacking' than the Dapol/Hornby version) and one, I think, on Horse Lunges in its orignal EM guage form, it had been used as the basis for a small Peckett. It worked because it looked like a Peckett and not a Pug!

I'm surprised more people haven't used the Bachmann 04 as a basis for industrial locos as so many of them did entry indsutry. Maybe they're just not as pretty as the Pug?

A pug really isn't a problem on a private industrial..... Small engines were often hired out to industry by the big four. I have a photo taken by my Dad of his favourite Pug on hire to BTH Rugby in the late '40's I think.

So run your Pug with a clear conscience !

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/21740-ly-pugs/page__fromsearch__1

Archived