RMweb

Dapol N Gauge Line Up

lucazone

Dapol has sofar announced intention to produce the following in N-Gauge. While various stages of progress have been shown, few have confirmed release dates as Dapol wish to release each one when best suits both themselves and the market.

• Class 26
  • Class 43 (HST)
  • Class 56
  • Class 58
  • Class 67 WSMR Bookset
  • Class 86
  • Class 86 Book Set (Virgin, InterCity, Freightliner variants)
  • Class 92
  • Class 121
  • Class 142
  • Class 153
  • Class 156
  • Class 390
  • NER B1 4-6-0
  • GWR 38xx 2-8-0
  • VT Mk3 Book Set (DVT+FO+SO+SO)

Dapol has sofar announced intention to produce the following in N-Gauge. While various stages of progress have been shown, few have confirmed release dates as Dapol wish to release each one when best suits both themselves and the market.

• Class 26
  • Class 43 (HST)
  • Class 56
  • Class 58
  • Class 67 WSMR Bookset
  • Class 86
  • Class 92
  • Class 121
  • Class 142
  • Class 153
  • Class 156
  • Class 390
  • NER B1 4-6-0
  • GWR 38xx 2-8-0
  • VT Mk3 Book Set (DVT+FO+SO+SO)

The class 156, 67 and Mk3 coaches have already been launched, so livery variant can't be far behind; the class 153 is currently being reveiwed so expect it to be available at Warley; the class 121, Britannia, class 86, B1, class 142, 43HST and 58 are all featured in the new 2010 catalogue so will probably become available over the following 18 months. The class 92, 26, 390, 56 and any others missed will obviously be later if they can't be slotted in.

G.

• RMweb Premium
  • Class 26
  • Class 43 (HST)
  • Class 56
  • Class 58
  • Class 67 WSMR Bookset
  • Class 86
  • Class 92
  • Class 121
  • Class 142
  • Class 153
  • Class 390
  • NER B1 4-6-0
  • GWR 38xx 2-8-0

Dapol have also said that the tooling for the class 142 and class 121 will allow them to produce a class 143 and class 122 so that's another two potential models. If the 121/122 sell well then there's a chance of a Class 117. In addition there's the Class 205 Thumper DEMU and Class 22 that should (might?) follow on from the Kernow OO models.

It's an ambitious programme by any standards.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Actually I am pretty sure the 00 class 22 is Dapol's own product. DapolDave has indicated their intention to produce it in N gauge so there should not be a problem.

It is the D600 that is a Kernow-specific model so that might not migrate down to N gauge (shame as I would like one). I have spoken to Kernow and they have no plans for an N gauge version. On the other hand they do not mind someone else producing an N gauge version from the same research so maybe something might happen. It would probably have to be a 3-way deal though between another private customer, Dapol to do the manufacturing and Kernow to recieve payment for the use of their IPR. Nice idea but I cannot see it happening in the near future (unless I win the lottery ;)).

Given that list, and what's gone before I'd say it was safe to assume that Dapol will be taking a crack at the following (in addition those noted previously);

Class 27

Class 33

Class 87

Class 90

Class 155

Clan Class

I can also see a cherry picking of various first generation DMUs as well which would reuse some of the work done on the 121.

In my "wouldn't be too suprised" list...

LNER N2

Castle and County

Pug

In my "wouldn't be too suprised" list...

Castle and County

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think they might be doing these? As a GWR/WR modeller I would be delighted by a Castle produced to current standards (and a County wouold be welcome too). I just don't see how they follow on from any of Dapol's existing developments.

The 2884s use the 3500 gallon tender drive developed with Ixion. Both Castle and County mainly used 4000 gallon tenders (although I am sure someone can probably produce a pic of a Castle with a 3500 gallon tender ;)). If you have heard any snippets that Dapol might do some more GWR locos that would be great but I am not holding my breath at the moment.

The 2884s use the 3500 gallon tender drive developed with Ixion. Both Castle and County mainly used 4000 gallon tenders (although I am sure someone can probably produce a pic of a Castle with a 3500 gallon tender wink.gif). If you have heard any snippets that Dapol might do some more GWR locos that would be great but I am not holding my breath at the moment.

Is this a fact you know or an assumption that they will share a tender? I accept that it's a good assumption, but it's not that hard an item to do CAD drawings of.

As to what tender.. theres many many pictures of a Castle using a 3500 tender when introduced in the 20's as the 4000 gal didn't come out until later.. in fact I believe the larger tender wasn't fitted until the 40's as it was designed for the 4-6-0 Counties and then modifified for the Castles. As for a County it depends which County you are talking about.. the later 4-6-0 agreed, but again, the 4-4-0 County would be unlikely seen with a 4000 and the County tank was bereft of said unit laugh.gif .

Regards

Graham

woo hooo, I hope they will release the 56 in N gauge as Bachmann haven't reliverd any since the take oversad.gif

Hi Guys;

Apart from the weathered Loadhaul and the renumbered EW&S version.

Agreed not new liveries but variations nevertheless.

I'm keen on a newly tooled 56 from either of our main providers!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

http:stusphotos.fotopic.net

Hi Guys;

I'm keen on a newly tooled 56 from either of our main providers!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

http:stusphotos.fotopic.net

And lets hope that this one actually LOOKS like a 56 this time ;) ;)

Regards

Neal

P.S. Nice to see you back safe and sound matey, got a nice suntan?? :D :D

Given the forthcoming Dapol HST I wouldn't call that an obstacle to their minds, more of an opportunity.

That reminds me actually, im still waiting for a reply about the cad images of the HST on dapols website, i emailed Dapol a while ago abit it , as theres a few issues with them - some large , some small

If your reading Mr Dapol Dave can you tell us if those were 'finals' or are they still being tweaked?

tfn

jon

Hi Jon,

sorry but we did not receive your e-mail, however i hope this answers your question.

Those cad/cam's were the first version released as a 'teaser', we are now on Version 5 and are quite happy with that, however i am asking for some 'tweeks' to be made to allow future easy conversion to the Buffered type of Power car.

This should, apart from the NMT version, then allow us to produce every variant of power car!

Hope this helps

Dave

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think they might be doing these? As a GWR/WR modeller I would be delighted by a Castle produced to current standards (and a County wouold be welcome too). I just don't see how they follow on from any of Dapol's existing developments.

It's a hunch pure and simple. Dapol had access to the tooling for a lot of the former Airfix/Mainline items for quite a length of time, and had produced updated tooling as well and presumably the associated drawings they used as part of the process (they also had a wealth of mouldings from said tooling to hand to measure up). I suspect this was an awful lot to do with some of the choices Dapol have made in N (14XX, Collet Coaches, Siphons, certainly the Terrier which Dapol tooled themselves).

Now, the County Dapol tooled up when rejigging the ex-Airfix Castle so maybe another easy victory for them? Of course, the Castle is also a "safe bet" as the Farish example has its issues, and Bachmann are unlikely to tool up an OO version given Hornby's thus making a new N version much less likely. At that point they might as well do what they did previously and get a "twofer".

But no more than gut feeling and speculation.

Is this a fact you know or an assumption that they will share a tender? I accept that it's a good assumption, but it's not that hard an item to do CAD drawings of.

Just an assumption, I freely admit I could be wrong.

As to what tender.. theres many many pictures of a Castle using a 3500 tender when introduced in the 20's as the 4000 gal didn't come out until later.. in fact I believe the larger tender wasn't fitted until the 40's as it was designed for the 4-6-0 Counties and then modifified for the Castles.

Ah, there are different flavours of 4000 gallon tender. Only the original batch of Castles had 3500 gallon tenders and they were upgraded to 4000 gallon Collett tenders fairly quickly (before the 1940s I think). The County had the slab-sided Hawksworth 4000 gallon tenders, some of which did end up behind Castles (and even the odd Hall and Grange).

Going back to the early list, does anyone have any idea of crests for the Brittanias? In Dapol initial announcement they listed 4 Britts, all of which were late-crest versions with modified smoke deflectors. In their latest catalogue they now have 8 listed but I cannot see information about which crests and smoke deflectors they will have.

I would like an early-crest Britt with original smoke deflectors but I do not know if Dapol are planning one of these in their initial batch.

Hi Gang;

Not sure if either an 87 or 90 from Dapol would be a 'dead cert'. I think it will depend on how the 86 goes. The 86 is an inspired choice because of the liveries and variety of workings available.

The news about HST power cars is welcome....a buffer fitted version would fly off the shelves I think disproportionately better than the non buffer variant. There are a lot of pitfalls with power cars with underframes/lights/doors/guards comp/grilles/smoke deflectors/coolant taps etc etc. Lots to get right in that lot.

It will also be interesting to see which type of buffet Dave settles on, bearing in mind that the W&S version is different again. (RFM with plated over kitchen windows).

I still think that an AC or DC Desiro is an obvious step down the line with Pendos/86s/catenary coming!!! Or a 321!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

http://stusphotos.fotopic.net

PS. Back in one(ish) piece Neal. Off again in a week to another desert!!!

Archived