Things you find written on the back of a menu

Many years ago, probably in the 1980s, I bought lots of 1950s Trains Illustrated magazines, eventually accumulating a full set back to issue 1 in 1946.

One, from 1958, had a train menu inside it. This is interesting enough on its own in showing what the catering was like then:

Menu-1958.jpg

It becomes even more interesting when you turn it over:

Menu-1958-Back.jpg

A run behind DELTIC on 7 October 1958. The train appears to have been the 7.10 pm Euston-Inverness, leaving 20 minutes late. This was listed in the carriage workings as 13 coaches, with a restaurant second and open first at the front, detached at Crewe.

In spite of signal checks, DELTIC had regained 14 minutes by Crewe.

I have no idea who took the notes.

• RMweb Gold

It's not a bad sounding menu, you wouldn't complain about being offered that on a train today, though cheese on toast for dessert would be a novelty.

I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought welsh rarebit was a little odd for dessert!

From http://historicalfoods.com/1154/welsh-rarebit-recipe/

"Welsh Rarebit was quite often eaten as a dish after the main meal, almost like a savory pudding or a cheese and biscuit board for the poor man."

'Savouries' of various types- not just Welsh rarebit, but such delights as potted shrimps or anchovy paste on toast were often served as a final course for dinners in polite circles during Victorian times. Thankfully, the custom has ceased, else I would be the Very Fat Controller.

Archived