Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Cliches on layouts

The wheels at an angle thing IS a cliche! Unless a vehicle is in a curve the wheels usually are straight. People tend to straighten them up when parking and most road curves are gentle enough that they don't look angled. Next time you go to the supermarket have a look for yourself, wheels at an angle are very much the exception not the norm

Cheers

Jim

Not if your handbrake's as bad as mine was until the last service

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Whether its a hot summer or a snowy winter, the backscenes always depict a bright day.

They can be tricky to change on a daily basis, as per the real world! ISTR a US HO layout where all four seasons were represented on different parts of the layout, and I suspect some of his backscenes were not entirely bright and sunny.

Guest jim s-w

If the layout is brightly lit (as most are) then a dark sky wouldn't fit. If you lit the layout as a dark day people would moan it's too dark

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Cliche's in scenes? Sorry, not a fan of the bus on the bridge, unless there is also a bus stop on the bridge or some other reason for it to be stopped there....

(like a car crash, or a house on fire presumably...) tongue.gif

How about a bridge on a bus, so to speak, in the form of a double decker which has had an argument with a low bridge?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Possibly not a cliche yet, but has anyone modelling the recent/present scene modelled a low bridge with protection against strikes? There are two near me in Southampton. The notorious Swaythling Arch has been extended in brick and concrete on either side so the original circa 1839 bridge is protected. The Kent Road bridge has steel protection. I'm at work so can't spend time doing a Streetview link but they're not hard to find.

Pete

How about a bridge on a bus, so to speak, in the form of a double decker which has had an argument with a low bridge?

And until fairly recently (well since the new A30 stretch opened in Mid Cornwall) an almost weekly occurrence ere down West.

Mind you, (almost daily) we had incidents where trucks etc JUST managed to stop, despite all the warning devices fitted both sides of the Goss Moor Iron Bridge.

• 4 weeks later...

There is one feature that gets my goat even though they are important but the justification/ presentation is a bit iff. Ladles and jellyspoons I give you, the engine shed. Most of the time they are on BLTs where sometimes there was a shed, sometimes there wasn't and the branch would be worked by loco based at the junction or would work to the junction then work the branch (Lambourn comes to mind here). There always seems to be a cat clambouring about on a pile of sleepers or the roof of the mess room. There was a layout in one of the monthlys that had a single road shed when it was a through station with a couple of sidings serving a quarry loader. To me (correct me if i'm wrong) but surely the loco would be needed as it needs to move the individual wagons under the loader and marshall its train. I can see why people add in sheds, they are easily justifiable but its been a little overdone.

How true but funny that. That particular cliche is what I have modelled, bar the clambering cat...! Yes there are many cliches in modelling, whether it be a model railway, static display be it a war scene or a car garage scene! I asked my son what he would like to see/have on the model railway, (as he is only 6 and doesn't understand railway practices), and 4 main points were a turntable, engine shed, coal loader & a station all on a continuous loop. I would pretty much call it "poetic license". Afterall, the majority of railway structures were built 'near enough' to what would realy exist, to make it 'realistic' for him, although as you stated, you would not necessarily have all these items on a through station, but then again yes, the loader needs its own loco & facilities to marshall a train together. Imagine the possibilities...

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose there is a fine line between cliché" and "must have" and "I already have one". I know there are items on my layout where the only justification is that I like them and found a place for them. I would sugest that engine sheds, level crossings and such like may fall in to that category when they are not otherwise "justified".

I once saw / read about someone who was putting a time machine factory on his layout. the loading facility was lined with telephone booths (Bill & Ted), Delorians (Back to the Future), Police Phone Boxes (Doctor Who) and even a couple scratch built Time Machines (HG Wells 'Time Machine).

That takes me back! :laugh:

• Like 3

Herbie, or Mr Bean's mini - both released in the last month, and I know the latter sold out in my local shop. I can safely say that Mr Bean's mini will be seen in my station car park when I get down to actually building a layout.

After attending my first exhibition in quite a long time, I realised that several of the bigger, action packed but less prototypical layouts have a police car complete with flashing lights attending a crash.

The Royal train is also quite common on modern image layouts!

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform

If I could just add my litttle twopenneth in............

I just wonder with cliches on layouts, whether the owner/modeller of the layout is just trying to find a corner filler or a cameo because they think that a bare bit of scenery needs filling?

Stay with me.

I view railway modelling as creating an image in 3d, the same as an artist would do, but in 2d. For me, and I know that art is a very personal thing and there are infinite mediums and genres etc, but to me, the fine artist has the skill to paint/draw an image and for people to be knocked out by it's realism and stare in wonder at the artists natural born skill in transmitting the view/object they are looking at onto a flat 2d surface.

Did anyone ever criticise L S Lowery that any of his paintings were over cameo'd? Probably, but he became a world renknownd artist despite that......

Lowery however was not a 'fine artist' such as Constable who painted exactly what he saw, which for me is how I try to model my layouts.

The point I'm getting at, is that maybe looking at the prototype before it's modelled, and keep referring to it whilst your building it will result in something that looks like what it's supposed to.

Even if you are modelling a fictitious location - roads are roads wherever you are. Populating them with a road crash and flashing lights or someone being knocked off a bike, then stood over by a nurse and a Policeman ( I know these things do happen ) but modelling them, when you are attempting to create a snapshot of time, is where the resultant overused cameos come in.

I think we can tend to merge and confuse the ideas of a snapshot in time - which in essence is what a layout is, around the moving images of trains. Nothing on a Lowery painting moves or any other painting for that matter, it's simply, like a photo, a still snapshot of time.

On our snapshots in time that we call layouts, we have still scenes ( cameos ) against moving images ( trains ) - and I just think we can over egg the pudding on layouts, by adding to many ill judged cameos because we have a clash of genres ( moving and still ) on one location.

Sometimes less is more, don't always be tempted to fill something just because there is a space. You will keep a persons attention by a well observed street scene, without the necessity to put overused cameos on it.

Just a thought

cheers

Andy

• Like 4

"Mixing of moving with still media" nails it for me Andy. Less is most definitely more where viewing a working layout is concerned.

However, assembling realistic compositions for taking convincing photographs, is where dressing the stage is crucially important.

Did anyone ever criticise L S Lowery that any of his paintings were over cameo'd? Probably, but he became a world renknownd artist despite that......

Lowery however was not a 'fine artist' such as Constable who painted exactly what he saw, which for me is how I try to model my layouts.

But Constable painted cliches, too. The Haywain is pure fiction - there has never been a ford across the river at the point he painted it; he inserted the horse and cart as an additional element into an otherwise true to life rendering of a natural scene. And it works perfectly because of that - if it had been just a painting of the river it wouldn't have been anywhere near as interesting. Compare The Haywain with some of his other landscapes, such as Dedham Vale, which don't include fictional elements and you'll see what I mean. And The Cornfield, with the shepherd boy drinking from the stream, is another example of a natural scene with a fictional insert.

If anything, it was Constable's ability to take a purely natural backdrop and insert a human interest element into it which made him the genius that he was. And he didn't always do pixel-perfect paintings either. Although less known, he was also skilled at impressionist style renderings such as his painting of Stonehenge - complete with cliched double rainbow ending right in the middle of the stones!

• Like 1

Modeling cliches, how to decline:

I model innovatively,

YOU model the tried and true

HE models cliches

F

p.s. The overly shiny motor vehicle without a driver is also a well practiced cliche

Not to mention the driver-less engines, passenger-less coaches and the guard-less guards van...

I even threw a few photos up of my layout in the gallery section, of a cameo 'yard scene' where a flatbed truck is being loaded, but by whom ? There are no goods handlers/yard workers in site !

• 1 month later...