Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Cliches on layouts

I believe that Turkish and Persian carpet weavers deliberately weave at least one imperfection into their incredibly finely made carpets as trying to achieve complete perfection was seen as competing with the Almighty.

Always unwise to challenge the gods - when Arachne's weaving skills outshone those of Athene, Arachne, terrified by the goddess's wrath, hanged herself and was turned into a spider. The rope became a web up which she escaped to safety.

So why the sarcasm?

I'm not an expert on PPE but I remember all-orange coming in as the first day in our brand new kit we all looked ridiculous! Head to foot in incredibly bright, clean orange . Never a good look... And this is very much a part of the modern day railway scene and seeing similarly dressed figures on a BR Blue layout set in the seventies looks very odd indeed. Many people won't know about this though and some won't care. To me it's no different from someone painting their Hymek in triple grey.

Never mind the seventies.....I remember being allowed onto the York to Scarborough line as a non railwayman - I wont bore you with the back story - sometime around 1987. The PPE for the time was a bib that ended at breastbone height! As usual it entered my stock of kit, joining the flying gloves and hard hat. I think my Dad used it for years afterwards to walk the dog on dark nights! Now there's an idea you never see, somebody doing everyday stuff in acquired clothing, be it an NCB donkey jacket or rail bib! Does that put me back on thread?

Guest oldlugger

Thugs in hoodies; traffic wardens; youths throwing up outside pubs; wheel clamps; motorcycle couriers; trendy cyclists with iPods; white vans (with white van man inside); boy racers and the souped up Vauxhall thing; Indian restaurants, etc, etc...

Fast forward to 2014 and an exhibition near you.

Three of the four transition era layouts, set 'somewhere in the home counties' count a class 16 and Lion amongst the staple motive power.

It's coming....

Guest oldlugger

Ah... yet another dull failure from the annals of BR "modern traction" history! Couldn't we have a more exotic BR loco like the Rheidol narrow gauge 2-6-2 in RTR form? Now that would start a revolution...

• Like 2

Guest jim s-w

Generally people tend to muck up their roads (especially the markings) but I haven't yet seen a model road with road humps

Cheers

Jim

Looking ahead a few months, I suspect a cliche will become Blue Pullmans trotting around all over the country from the Scottish Uplands to Much Pidling-in-the-Marsh. And the poor b*gger actually modeling the Peak District mainline will get it in the neck for having one too!

• RMweb Premium

Generally people tend to muck up their roads (especially the markings) but I haven't yet seen a model road with road humps

Cheers

Jim

Generally folk do their road markings (lines and gaps) to short but too thick. I've done them a couple of times. The first time I did them dead to scale (following the dimensions used at work in the TSRGD) and they looked wrong - way to big. In the end I used some compression (about 85% of scale) and they looked much better. This was also applied to the carriageway and lane widths - probably a good idea as many road vehicles are HO.

Can't find a photo of the results though.