Earl of Devon Phase III: Raising the Roof

I have been not posting much on RMWeb as of late, mostly because of the new job :D However, progress has been made on the Earl of Devon pubs.

Windows have been installed, interiors fitted, water goods added, drains added and - in the case of the final version - the roof has been put on. I've used York models laser cut self-adhesive ridge tiles which have worked out OK. Offcuts of the ridge tiles sheet were used to provide the flashing (right name???) where the two roofs meet. I started building the roof for the "final" version of the EoD pubs as I wasn't sure if I had enough SEF slate plastic sheet (I did, but it was touch and go, given the "make it up as you go along" nature of my roofing!). The white metal downspouts on the EoD Chagford are rather wonky (white metal, I'm afraid) unlike the PoC - where I made the downspouts out of brass rod and strip (something I'll do again in future). I've installed bargeboarrds at the end of the roofs and they are OK, but I might redo them on the main building

The nameboard is a temporary fitting, held on with blu-tak and the Pub Sign has two versions of the Earl's portrait. Both will be permanently fixed once the roof is finished.

First up is the comparison of the two models:

post-123-0-18761800-1293789944_thumb.jpg

The next set of photos show various views of both pubs:

post-123-0-62354800-1293790033_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-26482400-1293790071_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-17491900-1293790109_thumb.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the windows allow you to see the interior and the details (under > 6X magnification) hold up fairly well. Furthermore, ChrisF insisted on a replica of an etched glass window - so using an original photograph, powerpoint, photomanipulating software and inkjet overhead transparency film I was able to create a reasonable facsimile...

post-123-0-32729400-1293790998_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-03792000-1293791021_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-57570400-1293791051_thumb.jpg

And dear old Mrs Gummidge enjoys her stout!

post-123-0-87585200-1293791097_thumb.jpg

I managed to blow out the LEDs of the minilamps for the PoC, so replaced them with two lamps I found at model railway show some years back. I know they are quite large and are almost - but not quite - overscale , but they do the job. Unfortunately it now means that the PoC EoD has both LEDs and grain of wheat bulbs which means that I have two run two power feeds into the building: 6V for the lamps and 12V for the LEDs. The following is a photo of everything running on 6V.

post-123-0-47455800-1293791313_thumb.jpg

For these models, I built window "boxes" around the window etches to provide a sense of depth - as follows

post-123-0-32331500-1293791387_thumb.jpg

Although the three layer construction (embossed skin, square rod framework, inner 30thou walling) should have prevented warping, handling the shell without inner bracing introduced some warping - nothing major (and it does give a realistic building feel to the pub) - but I did brace the structure after mounting the pub on its' base, using home made I beams.

post-123-0-06727000-1293791571_thumb.jpg

Next time I use this method of building, I'll immediately brace the structure once the walls have been folded up and glued together.

The only things I have tow do now arre: finish the PoC roof, paint both roofs, add grass tufts to the joins between pub and cobblestones, touch up anything that needs touching up weather the lot and finally, in the case of the Chagford EoD, add the beer garden furniture. I may even be done by 1st week of 2011!

As always, your comments and thoughts and criticisms are welcomed.

F

• RMweb Gold

IL Dottore,

very nice models, you obviously enjoy this side of the hobby, great stuff.

keep up the good work

Peter

When GT gives you a thumbs-up, you're on the right track! Quite agree, this is superb modelling, with lovely attention to detail. The client should be well-chuffed.

Thanks for the kind comments

Are these two very nice models of the same pub, but in different time periods ? Stu
No they aren't (though it is an intriguing idea) They started out as identical pubs, the first (Proof of Concept) being the model on which I would try new techniques. Unfortunately, for the "final" model, the front melted and had to be replaced with South Eastern Finecast (see my post: http://www.rmweb.co....ma-deliverance/)

... What did you use for the stone sets in the rear yard?
They are Wills cobblestones, grossly overscale I think and they come in very small, thick, rectangle sheets which are the very devil to work with. The next time I want to represent cobblestones, I think I'll use another supplier (Slaters, SEF?) or make them myself from DAF clay and a mould

F

Archived