TouchCab news & updates

• RMweb Gold

Ron, Touchcab certainly made me keep hold of my lenz system rather changing to say a Z21, with the excahange rate and buying the wireless adapter from germany it cost me less than £100 and i couldnt be happier with it

shame it wont be developed futher, lets hope someone can step in and develop a new app to work with the lenz interface (without a computer)

• 4 weeks later...

Remind me please someone.

I have touchcab on iPod and iPad, and want to put it on my wife's iPad. She doesn't know yet.

Can I transfer all loco info to the iPad, or is a long typing job putting each loco in again.??

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Hi

That shouldn't be a problem. I bought a new iPad mini earlier this year and I had been using an app (iSSH) for connecting to a Raspberry Pi. When I went to download this app from the App Store it was no longer available and I thought I would have to find a new one. Going into my purchases I found that the app was still there and I was able to download it to my new iPad.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Since writing the above I have found this isn't always the case. My iPad has now been upgraded to iOS 9 and the iSSH app no longer works. I thought I would install it on the old iPad which still has iOS 8 but it is no longer there in my purchases for download. Might be worth taking a backup of the app just in case.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Since writing the above I have found this isn't always the case. My iPad has now been upgraded to iOS 9 and the iSSH app no longer works. I thought I would install it on the old iPad which still has iOS 8 but it is no longer there in my purchases for download. Might be worth taking a backup of the app just in case.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

I have successfully put "TOUCHCAB" onto the ipad this morning.....but of course it lacks any of the loco stack that is on my iPhone.

Its that info I'm wondering if I can easily copy over.??

Bob

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Gold

there is a simple way of copying loco rosters from one device to the other, BoD showed me at the DEMU show, took seconds to do, however once i got outside i totally forgot how to do it and im beggered if i can find the way to do it at home!

similarly ive supposedly backed the settings and roster up to itunes via the 'apps' tab when the device is connected and then tried to transfer info i saved from the iphone to the ipad with no luck

Try this guys. Both devices need to be connected to the same wi-fi source. On the 'originating' device go to options,bottom right, then configurations. Highlight the one you want to copy and then press the share button, both should turn green. On the new device go to options then configurations and at the bottom of the page should be 'other devices'. Press and hold the config you want and it should give you the option of 'add a copy'. Or if you press the > at the side you can copy some or all of the list/s. hth. Kev.

Try this guys. Both devices need to be connected to the same wi-fi source. On the 'originating' device go to options,bottom right, then configurations. Highlight the one you want to copy and then press the share button, both should turn green. On the new device go to options then configurations and at the bottom of the page should be 'other devices'. Press and hold the config you want and it should give you the option of 'add a copy'. Or if you press the > at the side you can copy some or all of the list/s. hth. Kev.

Your a star Kev.

Worked straight away......thanks everso much, saved me typing each one out again. Where would I be without the help from friends and colleagues here on RMweb.

All I've got to do now is break it to the wife that its on her ipad.

Many thanks....................Bob

Edited by 250BOB

• 1 month later...

Hi 250BOB

I have only recently installed the Touchcab app on my iPhone 6 but cannot find the app for an iPad?

Is it still available for iPad?

Regards

John

Hi John,

For 3 or 4 years I have had Touchcab on my iPhone and iPod........but about 6 weeks ago I downloded it to my wifes iPad (schhhhhhhh) but she doesn't know yet.

All three work fine.

I understand that Touchcab is no longer supported by its inventor Jens Vesterdahl..........I believe it is no longer available to purchase from iTunes, But if you have already purchased it and it is in your iTunes library, then like me, you can download it to another device, iPad, iPod etc., from iTunes.

Bob.

• 4 weeks later...

As a committed Touchcab user, I am very sorry to hear it is no longer available to new users.

I have it installed on my iPhone, iPod and my wifes iPad ( but don't tell her ).....and rarely use anything else to operate my layout with.

Thanks for your efforts Jens, it has certainly given me a great deal of pleasure using Touchcab.

Best wishes....Bob.

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear Jens. that you have decided to stop development of TouchCab, sadly it comes at a time when ESU have released an update for the ECoS and having downloaded it on to my ECoS it no longer works correctly with TouchCab so the end of an era as it was the best way to operate the layout and caused a lot of interest, sadly there is nothing on the marker to match in terms of quality, design and ease of use.

Peter

Sorry to hear Jens. that you have decided to stop development of TouchCab, sadly it comes at a time when ESU have released an update for the ECoS and having downloaded it on to my ECoS it no longer works correctly with TouchCab so the end of an era as it was the best way to operate the layout and caused a lot of interest, sadly there is nothing on the marker to match in terms of quality, design and ease of use.

Peter

Indeed very sad Peter....I remember well being introduced to Jens by yourself at your LYDCC exbn in Rawtenstall a few years back......I was hooked from that moment on.

Bob

Guest Digital

Very sad to see Touch Cab has finally gone.

Many thanks for all your efforts Jens in producing one of the best apps for model railways.

Touch Cab has given me many hours of pleasure and use.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

John

Edited by Digital

Sad day for TouchCab users. I never got the chance to use it as it's system specific.

I have used WiThrottle on my iPhone and iPad which is similar and i believe not system specific but you do need a Laptop/Pc/Server attached to the layout,

but TBH I prefer to use the hand wheel on my Powercab.

Happy New Year to all,

And a message to Peter Chrichton, and all who are bemoaning the demise of TouchCab..

When ESU did the previous but one software update, 4.1.0, i thought I had lost the ability to use TouchCab, until Kieth M put me right.

There is a new setting on page 3 of the ECoS settings screen, an icon of a PC, which allows for keeping the 'legacy' PC settings, whatever that means, anyhow, it means that if you tick the box, TouchCab on IPhone still works a treat.

I got a bit worried at Peter's post above, - especially as it was he, (or one of his fellow LYDCC club members) who introduced me to TouchCab in the first instance. So I checked with my latest ECoS software update of a couple of days ago, ver. 4.1.2 and it still works fine, Phew!

Peter, PM me if you're still not happy.

Long live Jens, and I hope he has a rethink and carries on.

- I would propose that he puts a slightly higher price on the App, which would still be way below anything else.

I quite fancy the ESU handheld remote, but would struggle to convince HHMBO that the outlay is justifiable for my loft setup!

Regards,

Alan.

Good news, Peter!

Here's an interesting aside, - sorry if I seem to be hijacking this post, but I think some people might be interested in this phenomenon.

I was just testing my own setup of ECoS and TouchCab, to make very sure I hadn't given out duff info, and decided to give the Christmas present from 'er indoors a good run. It is a Bachmann USA Alco S4 Switcher, which comes with a 'value' sound card, which is a cut-down version of Soundtraxx' full blown Tsunami. I (she!) bought this from Hattons, (good price) with a view to replacing the cheapo Tsunami with a proper full-priced, full spec jobby, from DCC supplies. The AT 100 with sound for the Alco 539T turbo diesel is the one, I am assured by Bachmann USA, and is designed to fit in a number of US narrow bonneted Alco models. I researched all the available sounds and functions, and it seems well worth the £75 asking price in the UK. In Soundtraxx' instruction manual, there is mention of startup and shutdown sounds, and indeed, their sound sample on the website does this, and is very impressive. I have experience of some US sound decoders, and they don't have startup on F0, like we do in the UK, rather, they rely on moving to speedstep 1, which invokes prime mover to start... Similarly shutdown is by winding down to speedstep 1, then to 0 which does the PM closing down, and (hopefully) pops and clicks, like we get from Pauliebanger et al.. The 'value' tsunami in the Bachmann as bought, does not do this, well, certainly not on my ECoS, it just is on, or off, although there is a mute function on F8, but the effect is the same, "on" is straight into tickover, not startup.

Imagine my surprise when running a train behind the Alco, using TouchCab, and the loco stalled at a wrongly set point, when I restarted, using TouchCab, the Alco did a power up, (addimitedly, not like the full one on the website sound bite, but quite a reasonable one)

Further testing using TouchCab produced a few surprises which do not happen with the ECoS, no matter how you carry out the actions, ... ECoS will not do a PM start or power down, whereas TouchCab does, every time, when you change direction.

Anyone care to comment?

Regards,

Alan

Edited by bigal10