Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

At last, finally got around to some modelling. As part of the signalling etc, I decided to go for a wide to gauge trap at the end of the centre road. It is of course only a dummy, but hopefully will keep the district inspector happy.

post-10660-0-71335300-1314556579_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-55633900-1314556585_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-26782000-1314556574_thumb.jpg

John, this is a truly inspiring creation - thank you for sharing it here!

A question to satisfy my curiosity: you mention your staging is full length and is accessed via a sector plate - how many roads? I would think it is substantial due to all the traffic.

Edit - strike that, I just saw the photo on the first page.

• 3 weeks later...

It's "SHOWTIME". Just in case anyone is interested in seeing this in the flesh, next weekend I will be exhibiting Bradfield at Loughborough. Nothing much has changed since its last outing at the members day apart from a few tweaks to the working timetable as a result of several rollockings I got from rmwebbers about my operating practices!!( all delivered and taken with good humour I must add).

Details are:- Heart of the Midlands Railway Exhibition, Garendon High School, Allan Moss Rd/Schofield Rd, Loughborough.LE11 4SQ. Off the A512 Ashby Rd from J23 M1. 24th/25th Sept (www.svmrc.co.uk).

Rmwebbers please say hello. John E.

It was one of my Members' Day regrets that I didn't get time to spend around Bradfield but having made up for that yesterday I can wholeheartedly endorse that it's really worth making the effort to see it on the road.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure how I missed this as well and have just spent quite sometime catching up on the thread. As has been mentioned before, simply superb work!

I do like how the track work flows - something that can only be achieved with hand-built track. I assume that you are going to add point rodding and signal wire stools when you get the signal box sorted?

It was one of my Members' Day regrets that I didn't get time to spend around Bradfield but having made up for that yesterday I can wholeheartedly endorse that it's really worth making the effort to see it on the road.

Without wishing to be disparaging towards any of the RMwebbers efforts at the Members' day, I could have spent all day ogling those filthy peaks and maroon Mk1s, as well as the tankie shuffling around. Its my weekend on, otherwise I'd have been tempted to head for Loughborough !!!

Did a little operating practice with Suddaby at John's on Thursday afternoon. The running was as good as at the members' Day with just one derailment in nearly three hours operation.

Now I just need to remember how to work all the sound effects on the Fairburn; injectors on, blowing off, firing, coupling up, argghh!!

By way of a light-hearted reply to Leander:-

This accident report concerns the derailment of the 4.20 Skipton Mail at Bradfield on 15th Sept 2011.

On departure from platform 2, the rear bogie of the leading van left the rails as it approached the crossover to the up main. Prompt action by the driver in stopping the train prevented injury to those on board and any damage to the permanent way. Postal workers were treated at the scene for shock but were later able to resume their duties. The offending vehicle was removed for inspection and normal services were resumed in time for the morning rush.

Immediately prior to the incident, the stock had been propelled into platform 2 over the same crossover without mishap.

Upon inspection of the derailed vehicle, a gangwayed brake of LNER Thompson origin, the wheel back to back measurements were found to be within accepted tolerances. Wheels ran true and in all other details the running gear appeared satisfactory. However, there was excessive play in the bogie pivot mounting. It was also noted that clearance between the coupling mounting on the bogie and the rear of the buffer beam was extremely tight. After further examination of the vehicle in the workshop, it was discovered that the end of the underframe was higher in the body than normal.

In concluding his report, HM Inspector found that a faulty design allowed the underframe to sit too high inside the body thus reducing clearance between the coupling mounting on the bogie and the rear of the buffer beam. This then restricted the ability of the bogie to rotate when on the slight curve approaching the crossing. The excessive play in the bogie pivot was sufficient to allow clearance and free rotation when propelled in the opposite direction.

Recommendation. The method of securing the underframe to the body be modified to ensure a secure fit. All similar vehicles to be so treated.

The Mail is now back on the rails!!

Personally I believe there has been a cover up here, but the intrepid reporters at the Bradfield Telegraph and Argus seem to have got the story correct with this headline:-

Gloucester Square station closed after derailment.

Trainee Preston driver blamed after "Rough Shunt".

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Looking forward to the weekend!

:D

Kevin

Post Show Report!!

Firstly, thanks to those of you that said hello and of course for your kind comments. Also to the SVMRC for the excellent hospitality and assistance. The layout functioned well but there are a couple of incident reports to follow up on. D325 decided to go its own way over the pointwork on two occasions and the Fairburn did the same but in a different location. Some couplings need adjustment and attention but thats about it. The operators did well considering they are newly passed out, however the Preston driver certainly provided entertainment with some unorthodox moves!! Not to mention his juggling act with the control box!

So what now? Next show is Tonbridge in Feb, so its time for the S&T Dept to crack on with the signals!!

John E.

It's amazing how much you have done in about 3 1/2months since you first posted on here. This layout will undoubtedly be a layout I want to see at an exhibition.

Colin

When I posted this in April, I was hoping to be able to see it in the South East, then I found out it was coming to my club's exhibition in February :yahoo_mini: So will definitely look forward to seeing it at Tonbridge.

Colin

When I posted this in April, I was hoping to be able to see it in the South East, then I found out it was coming to my club's exhibition in February :yahoo_mini: So will definitely look forward to seeing it at Tonbridge.

Colin

Is this model coming oop North soon? (i.e. Lancashire, Yorkshire or further North - NOT just anywhere north of Watford Gap!) Of course, it should really appear at Bradford MRC's exhibition (March 31/April 1, 2012.) Please?

Ian

Is this model coming oop North soon? (i.e. Lancashire, Yorkshire or further North - NOT just anywhere north of Watford Gap!) Of course, it should really appear at Bradford MRC's exhibition (March 31/April 1, 2012.) Please?

Ian

Hi Ian, hopefully you will have read MI by now and will have seen from the Bradfield article the show dates for next year. Unfortunately no invite to Bradford MRC, that would be quite interesting. As for North of Watford, it has yet to go South!!

John

Been re-reading the thread on and off over the last couple of days and really wish I'd managed to get my challenge diorama arches looking as good as yours', they are most definately the "cats nads". I'll be keeping an eye on your advance dates for a chance to see in the flesh when it comes close enough to me.

Hi Ian, hopefully you will have read MI by now and will have seen from the Bradfield article the show dates for next year. Unfortunately no invite to Bradford MRC, that would be quite interesting. As for North of Watford, it has yet to go South!!

John

"MI" ??

Erm...

Ian

Archived