Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

I went over to John's on Wednesday for an operating practice session and went through the timetable from 04.00 to 16.00 hrs. As you may guess from that, we spent a lot of time talking! Although the signals aren't installed yet, I'm sure John won't mind me posting that they're all finished on the bench, except for the 'theatre indicator box' for the starter from CS5, into which trains shunt in to and run out of, when moving stock to and from the station. As all the signal positions are marked out, we tried to operate the trains as if they were in place, stopping behind the signal and so on. It all adds to the realism of the operation.

Needless to say, the layout and stock performed perfectly, if only the same could be said for the trainee driver! It's a great layout to operate but demands 100% concentration. Although Suddaby and I aren't trekking down to Tonbridge, the good folk of Kent have a treat in store next month. However, we should be assisting (if that's the right word!) at Nottingham and Manchester later in the year.

I went over to John's on Wednesday for an operating practice session and went through the timetable from 04.00 to 16.00 hrs. As you may guess from that, we spent a lot of time talking! Although the signals aren't installed yet, I'm sure John won't mind me posting that they're all finished on the bench, except for the 'theatre indicator box' for the starter from CS5, into which trains shunt in to and run out of, when moving stock to and from the station. As all the signal positions are marked out, we tried to operate the trains as if they were in place, stopping behind the signal and so on. It all adds to the realism of the operation.

Needless to say, the layout and stock performed perfectly, if only the same could be said for the trainee driver! It's a great layout to operate but demands 100% concentration. Although Suddaby and I aren't trekking down to Tonbridge, the good folk of Kent have a treat in store next month. However, we should be assisting (if that's the right word!) at Nottingham and Manchester later in the year.

Its a shame you can't get down to assist at Tonbridge, but thanks for the update on the layout.

Colin

It's very gratifying to see that there is still some interest in the layout from all you rmwebbers, happy new year. Hadn't realised that my last posting was back in November. Since then I have been away for nearly four weeks so progress has been limited. As Leander said, all of the semaphores are now complete on the bench ready for testing. Just two ground signals yet to construct but these may have to wait until after Tonbridge. After our "training" session, the layout is about to be dismantled so that the signals can be installed and wired up. I will then need to modify the control box with extra switches and then re programme the "Tower Master" controller. This is anticipated to take two weeks, which gives me one week to re erect and thoroughly test the layout before heading south. Must admit to being slightly nervous about doing alterations so close to an exhibition but hopefully it will be worth it. If all goes well and time permitting I will post some pics of the signals installed (and working!!).

John E

I went over to John's on Wednesday for an operating practice session and went through the timetable from 04.00 to 16.00 hrs. As you may guess from that, we spent a lot of time talking!

Gosh!

When we operate Bradford North Western (on the opposite side of Gloucester Square...) we never get beyond 10 o'clock (no 24 hr clock in 1958).

How on earth do you get through 12 hours of trains - unless the ex-LNWR ran more trains then the ex-MR! Or you have more than the three hour stint that is typical of our Saturday afternoons.

Ian

Thanks Dave.

Hi Ian, between 4.00 and 4/00, we have 15 departures and 16 arrivals, not including light engine movements or ECS moves, There is also a fair bit of parcel stock movement. However, it was an all day session!

Regards John E

Progress Report

Layout has been stripped down and holes hacked through baseboards and platforms. The signals have been secured in place and tested. All but one worked first time (a faulty servo that thinks it is a motor, just spins around, not good for the signal!). Have ordered some more servos to replace faulty one and have some spares!! Still need to add buttons to control panel and reprogramme routes to include relevant signals.

Anyway, some pics as promised of progress so far.

post-10660-0-46442500-1328379369_thumb.jpg

The channel beam gantry over platform 1 and the siding.

post-10660-0-88066800-1328379397_thumb.jpg

The miniature arm and stencil type route indicator(dummy of course) controlling the exit from the carriage sidings.

post-10660-0-91833700-1328379426_thumb.jpg

A restricted height miniature arm controlling the exit from the carriage siding headshunt, used mainly to release light engines.

post-10660-0-07491500-1328379455_thumb.jpg

Platform 3 starter and subsidiary. The starter is drooping because of the faulty servo.

post-10660-0-96694300-1328379483_thumb.jpg

The trickery that makes it work! Who said that DCC only needs two wires????

Top marks to the S&T team, the possession has been lifted three days early!! The Gantry and three single post signals installed in record time. Not only that but the control panel has been adapted and the software reprogrammed. The offending servo on platform 3 starter has been replaced and is functioning ok.

The layout was re erected yesterday and all of the stock positioned only to discover that a mod to the positioning of one point motor was unsatisfactory. So down with it all again, off with the offending motor, a quick modification and refit. Eureka, it works. So then the acid test, dust off the timetable, plug in the throttles and lets see how it goes........

The signals certainly help to create that railway like atmosphere as well as making the operating more interesting. Couldn't resist getting the camera out to record some of the movements.

post-10660-0-58733600-1328802307_thumb.jpg

A view from the bridge, just past 7 o'clock in the morning and the St Pancras is loading in platform 1.

post-10660-0-63510500-1328802333_thumb.jpg

D48 gets the right away with the first mainline departure of the day, the 7.32 diner to St Pancras.

post-10660-0-73555600-1328803472_thumb.jpg

The Derby two car heads out of platform 3B with the 8.25 to Skipton.

post-10660-0-81495000-1328803497_thumb.jpg

Another Derby two car follows shortly afterwards out of platform two with the 8.40 to Ilkley, regardless of what the destination blind says!!

post-10660-0-63755500-1328804623_thumb.jpg

Having arrived light engine via platform 3B, D95 is about to draw forward and collect the ECS for the 10.10 St Pancras.

post-10660-0-96650200-1328804643_thumb.jpg

Pictured from the embankment alongside the carriage sidings, D95 propels the stock for the 10.10 in to platform 1. In the foreground, the shunter is about to draw out the stock for the Paignton from carriage siding two.

post-10660-0-49031100-1328804662_thumb.jpg

42073 sits patiently in 3B. This loco arrived at 3.34 this morning with the non advertised workmens train from Skipton via Ilkley. Having visited the shed for turning and replenishing, she will now work the 10.38 Paignton as far as Leeds.

I don't think I have covered this before but thought a look at the control panels may be of interest to some, especially trainee drivers and signal men!!

post-10660-0-80101100-1328805500_thumb.jpg

This is the main panel. It is constructed from 60thou plasticard and was designed to be handheld. It can be plugged in to any throttle jack on the layout but ideally needs to be connected to the main controller so that the feedback works correctly. It will be noted that there is no text or numbering on the panel, this is to facilitate its use on either side of the layout were it is used either way up.

The black buttons operate the points and are configured as "from/to" buttons. You press the button where you want to start "from" and then the other where you want to go "to" and all the points change one after the other to set up this "route". The beauty of this is that as part of the route, you can include the setting of other points to avoid a conflict. Simples!

The red button is the reset. As its name implies, one press resets all the points to their default position and all the signals to "on" or danger.

The green buttons are for the signals. Push once for off and push again for on. In practice, the red button is usually pressed after each move to set everything back to normal.

It was my original intention to include the signals in the to/from sequence, but this would mean duplicating every route for running in the opposite direction and the board did not have sufficient capacity.

The wizardry that makes this work is called a DTM30 from CML Electronics. It is basically a DCC encoder, in other words it converts the button pushes into DCC accessory commands. It certainly makes operating the layout simple and enjoyable.

post-10660-0-55187100-1328805526_thumb.jpg

This is another smaller control panel that is used when the layout is at home and there are multiple operators. It is plugged in to the front of the layout and enables the shunter to control the points in the sidings independently of the main panel operator or "signal man". It is again made from 60thou plasticard. This panel contains only black push buttons that activate local "routes" that set up entry to the respective siding from the head shunt. It connects directly to the accessory decoder that controls all of the points involved.

The layout looks great with the signals in place. Definitely looking forward to seeing it next week

Thanks Colin, I will be giving it a good test between now and then so hopefully there will be no gremlins for its first outing this year and of course its first journey south. For the benefit of others I am of course referring to the Tonbridge show on the 18th Feb, so any RMWebbers please say hello. Lets hope the weather improves.

Thanks also to Roger.

• RMweb Premium

Tonbridge show on the 18th Feb, so any RMWebbers please say hello

Will certainly come and say hello and get another closer look, saw it last year at members day, if I get time off driving at Leaford that is!

A Friday night treat for the steam fans!

post-10660-0-50238400-1328898820_thumb.jpg

44762 stands at the end of platform 3 waiting to proceed to the shed for turning, coaling and watering. She has recently arrived with the Morecombe Prom and will work the same train back later this afternoon.

post-10660-0-70094300-1328898848_thumb.jpg

44781, again waiting for the peg to come off for the up main so she can run light to the shed to be turned, coaled and watered before returning to take her train back to Carlisle. In the meantime the shunter will be busy swapping vans around and positioning the stock for the return workings.

I'm so looking forward to seeing this layout in the flesh at Tonbridge, just think I will look slightly odd with all the drooling :jester:

*Note to self, have someone follow Kevin at the show with mop and bucket :lol: * I think I will be having a good look at the layout on Friday night when there shouldn't be (too much of a) crowd looking at it.

Colin

*Note to self, have someone follow Kevin at the show with mop and bucket :lol: * I think I will be having a good look at the layout on Friday night when there shouldn't be (too much of a) crowd looking at it.

Colin

I guess I asked for that, after my comment about you in high heels :jester: :O

Archived