Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

Its early evening and D325 has just deposited the stock from the returning Paignton into carriage siding 2 and is waiting to be released. It will then cross to the centre road and take out the York parcels just visible under the bridge.

post-10660-0-37200500-1329163277_thumb.jpg

D325 gets away with the York parcels whilst D163 backs out the ECS of the restuarant car service from St Pancras.

post-10660-0-90666300-1329163250_thumb.jpg

Superb detail on this layout. It has been some time since I looked at it and a lot of work has gone into it since. Working timetable, signals just adds to the atmosphere.

Just one question about the trap/catch point, should the right hand rail be inside and not on the outside of the main rail? Or is it just for aesthetics?

Shame I am in Australia, would love to see it. I did get to see some excellent layouts while there in April-May last year, such as Gresley Beat (all Time favorite). May be next time.

Mark

Not the largest of space for a layout,but proves just what you can achieve regardlous of the space available.The Signals are the icing on the cake.

This is Top Notch Modelling and a pleasure to read about.

Thank you John for taking so much trouble to entertain.

Regards,Del.

Just one question about the trap/catch point, should the right hand rail be inside and not on the outside of the main rail? Or is it just for aesthetics?

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the kind comments. The trap point is a "wide to gauge" version and is designed to drop errant stock onto the woodwork where there is no room to divert it into the cess! They are not as common as the usual right or left handed versions we are used to. I thought they were a modern invention but I have seen a picture of one at the old Liverpool Central Station in a similar situation to mine.

Regards, John E.

Very impressed with the arches inside the station. How did you get them so uniform?

They are all cut from plastikard using an olfa compass cutter. All cut at the same time and to the same radii, tedious!!

Thanks also to Alan, Jonathan and Del for your kind comments. Del is quite right about the space, one of my objectives was to try and create a mainline atmosphere in a very limited space, it really is quite a small layout!

Regards John E

Thanks John E,

"The trap point is a "wide to gauge" version and is designed to drop errant stock onto the woodwork where there is no room to divert it into the cess! They are not as common as the usual right or left handed versions we are used to. I thought they were a modern invention but I have seen a picture of one at the old Liverpool Central Station in a similar situation to mine."

I have never seen one, so thanks for the clarification and look forward to seeing more. I just hope I can get my layout to look half as good.

Mark

What other shows is Bradfield going to be at? I'm just down road from Tonbridge but will be away :mad:

Just finished packing everything away for the trip to Tonbridge tomorrow, just hope the van doesn't shake everything to pieces on the way!!

Next shows are Nottingham East Mids 17/18 March, Lutterworth 19th May and Manchester 6/7 Oct. Possibly Peterborough in Oct but no confirmation as yet.

Thanks John E. Must admit I had to Yahoo to find out what an Olfa Compass Cutter is. Should have asked SO as she is into quilting. As you say a bit tedious but it has done a superb job. I want to build a modified Grimsby Town Station and it has many arches with offices etc set back into them, just like Bradfield. I was lookig at making up a LINKA mould but this gives me another option.

• RMweb Premium

Having seen Bradfield at the Tonbridge show today, although I could not spend as much time as I would have liked watching, may I just say it exceeded expectations! I have followed its development here and was very pleased when I saw that I would be able to view it 'in the flesh'. I was really impressed with the slow speed running. Although I am not a DCC fan, this certainly demonstrated its full potential. I also liked the atmosphere that was created by the model - very often photos on a web site or in the model press can portray an atmosphere that is lacking when the model is seen for real, but this certainly looked as if it was BR early 60s. I was also pleased to see the signals in action! Congratulations too, on managing to do it all mainly single handed today.

When are you next in the South East?

Can I just say it was pleasure to meet John and his lovely wife yesterday, and to see the layout in operation. It was great to see a crowd in front of it through most of the day (I cheated and could sneak behind it to view it!). To the people going to Nottingham in a few weeks time and Manchester later this year, you are in for a treat.

Colin

Absolutely fanstastic. This layout I would put in the MRJ league. One of my fav's to go with Halifax kings cross, Bramblewick, Northsheilds. I guess I am along with the other Aussie's saying that we would all love to see it in the flesh! It reminds me of the time I was in Liverpool 11 years ago the retaining walls the overall roof. Fantstic. I look forward to seeing more.... it is just a shame that there 22hr's of air travel between!

Archived