Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

Read this thread in its entirety as a guest. Have now joined the site and would just like to add my congratulations for producing such a superb layout. Beautifully modelled, great atmosphere and everything running to an authentic timetable. Just hope I get to see it "in the flesh" some day.

Been re-reading the thread on and off over the last couple of days and really wish I'd managed to get my challenge diorama arches looking as good as yours', they are most definately the "cats nads". I'll be keeping an eye on your advance dates for a chance to see in the flesh when it comes close enough to me.

Kevin, it will be at Tonbridge on 18th February, and we don't clash with Brighton Modelworld either this year :no:

Colin

Thanks for pointing me to MI, Andy. I had tried and failed to look at it earlier. Excellent!

I hope to be at Rochdale on 3rd or 4th Nov.

But I'm now worried that whatever I do on Bradford North Western, which I have been planning for decades, will be seen as a pale imitation of Bradfield. Suppose that's life!

What a brilliant model!

Ian

But I'm now worried that whatever I do on Bradford North Western, which I have been planning for decades, will be seen as a pale imitation of Bradfield. Suppose that's life!

What a brilliant model!

Ian

On the contrary Ian, your Clecklwyke was one of the inspirations for Bradfield!!

John E

Despite having been on RMW a couple of years now I still seem to miss some of the excellent layouts to be found on this forum.

The 'Inspirations' PDF has rectified that in the case of Bradfield:

What an inspiring layout. I'll be back to read through in more detail at the weekend :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi John. After drooling all over your signalling thread last night - for which, apologies - I followed the link to this one. (Note to self: read posts properly before frothing).

I've just disrupted my morning routine by reading this all the way through and I'm even more impressed with your efforts. As many others have said, it's a brilliant and truly inspirational layout. Like you, my real interest is in operation, the more intensive the better. I still think your decision to use multiple double-slips is courageous as they save valuable space, but they have to be spot-on to avoid running problems. The whole design works exceptionally well and I humbly salute your efforts.

On the contrary Ian, your Clecklwyke was one of the inspirations for Bradfield!!

John E

That's nice to know - glad to be of assistance! Bradfield will certainly be an inspiration for my Bradford North Western - my difficulty will be to make my station have a distinctly different identity from yours as you have chosen a very similar plan and I will also have lots of stone retaining walls, terraced houses, bridges and mills!

But that's years off yet - I have lots to do to expand Clecklewyke first and Humber Dock to titivate for the Rawtenstall exhibition in a fortnight's time. I dropped one the cassettes when I last exhibited it, so there's plenty of repair work needed. I seem to be spending more time on maintenance than modeling at the moment.

Cheers,

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

One of the main reasons for my lack of posts recently is because I managed to wreck my camera at the GCR Diesel Gala. Having finally replaced it with a slightly more sophisticated model and sorted out some of the technicalities, I now feel brave enough to share some of my efforts!

I have been revamping the timetable in the light of experience gained exhibiting and operating with more than one operator. I have also gone for a station pilot in the form of a 350hp Diesel Shunter, a Hornby model equipped with a Zimo sound decoder. The pilot now does most of the shunting moves which means I have had to create paths for released locos to return LE to shed and conversely LE moves back to the station.

Four additional passenger services have now been included, again in line with the 1962 WTT for Bradford FS, as follows.

12/13 from Sheffield – CW3A(BCK,SK,BSK) + V6 (BG)

1/05 from Morecombe Prom -CW2A(BSK,SK,FK,BSK) + V5(BG)

4/31 to Birmingham – V5 + CW2A + V6

5/10 to Morecombe Prom – CW3A

The Morecombe train, known as a “Residential” combines with a Leeds portion at Skipton. The van from Morecombe is attached to the Birmingham train at Bradfield to save time shunting when the train reverses at Leeds.

To accommodate the extra services, the vans have to be cleared from platform 2 and are stored in the CS Headshunt/Fish Dock. The stock of the Morecombe Prom is also stored temporarily with the vans in the CS Headshunt.

We will thoroughly test the new WTT at a forthcoming “training” day, so prospective drivers should read and digest, questions may be asked!!!!!!!

Anyway, some pics may make things a little clearer and hopefully more interesting.

post-10660-0-33573400-1319457500_thumb.jpg

First job of the day for the Pilot is to shunt the Nottingham parcels across to P1

post-10660-0-67276400-1319457525_thumb.jpg

D48 released from the Nottingham parcels LE to shed.

post-10660-0-17415100-1319457564_thumb.jpg

3.34 workmens train from Skipton drifts in to P2

post-10660-0-75076800-1319457585_thumb.jpg

Shunting parcels stock in the carriage sidings reception road.

post-10660-0-19791100-1319458042_thumb.jpg

The parcels are cleared from P2 to make way for the new arrivals

post-10660-0-04480100-1319458092_thumb.jpg

The 12/13 from Sheffield

Continued...

post-10660-0-87810700-1319458456_thumb.jpg

The 1/05 from Morecombe Prom has arrived in P2 behind a black five. The loco when released will proceed LE to shed for turning and servicing prior to working the return service.

post-10660-0-68404900-1319458522_thumb.jpg

The stock from Birmingham has been shunted to P1. The pilot has now stored the Morecombe stock in the CS Headshunt and is removing the BG for Birmingham.

post-10660-0-61752400-1319458564_thumb.jpg

The BG is added to the front of the 4/31 Birmingham.

post-10660-0-38328800-1319458647_thumb.jpg

D45 gets the "right away" with the Birmingham on the first leg to Leeds.

post-10660-0-32855000-1319458610_thumb.jpg

44762, fed and watered and ready for the off with the 5/10 Morecombe "Residential".

post-10660-0-63624500-1319458680_thumb.jpg

D55 waits for the road to the shed.

Great photos as always with this layout.

Just a thought, I've been following thread on signalling for this layout, and I just wonder whether they won't be sighting problems with the overbridge for engines at the buffer end of the platforms, i'e won't the bridge be in the way?

Just a thought, I've been following thread on signalling for this layout, and I just wonder whether they won't be sighting problems with the overbridge for engines at the buffer end of the platforms, i'e won't the bridge be in the way?

Good point, but (IMHO) practice dictates that the released loco follows it's train to the end of the platform and waits for the signal. This is a safe practice so the signalman does not forget that there is a loco in the platform road. More importantly though is the situation for DMU,s and short trains and I think the solution here is stencil repeaters on the station side of the bridge!!

I do of course stand to be corrected! John E.

It seems according to discussion on this thread (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45577-a-signalling-challenge/) that it depended on local practice. I suppose if you had a dmu in the platform, leaving it at the far end would allow another to come in behind it.

I'm no expert and have no idea what happened at Bradford FS, but I suppose repeaters or ground signals might be the answer.

• RMweb Gold

Good point, but (IMHO) practice dictates that the released loco follows it's train to the end of the platform and waits for the signal. This is a safe practice so the signalman does not forget that there is a loco in the platform road. More importantly though is the situation for DMU,s and short trains and I think the solution here is stencil repeaters on the station side of the bridge!!

I do of course stand to be corrected! John E.

Not exactly 'correction' John but amplification I think. 'Following down' (as it is sometimes called and as you very accurately explained) is technically the 'exceptional' method but was very widely applied through Local/Sectional Appendix Instruction. It has the advantage you explained but it also has the disadvantage that a collison might occur if the departing train stops suddenly for some reason and the following loco doesn't. and where platform lines are track circuited the Signalman will be aware of the presence of the incoming loco in any case and - in the 'normal' method the Driver of that loco must not move it towards the platform starting signal until the Signalman has given him permission to do so.

Now the next bit is that if the 'exceptional' method is being applied the Instruction will also say that the Driver of a loco following down must bring the loco to a stand at the platform starting signal irrespective of the indication that signal is giving. So no need for a repeater because the loco is going to have to stop at the signal anyway. There, saved you a potential bit of work (however those short dmu things are a different kettle of fish and their Drivers do need to know what the signal is showing, as do platform staff despatching any train ).

Cheers Mike, I somehow new that the answer could not be that simple!! I do use platforms 2 and 3 as A and B split, so I guess I should have some additional signals for that, but maybe that discussion is for another forum.

John.

So is the Class 08 going to be 'on scene' throughout the day assuming it was manned over three whole shifts, or will it disappear at certain times and the shunting will then be done by the train locos?

Looking forward to joining Suddaby on the route learning next week. :good_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Mike, I somehow new that the answer could not be that simple!! I do use platforms 2 and 3 as A and B split, so I guess I should have some additional signals for that, but maybe that discussion is for another forum.

John.

It's your railway John - and that's not just the usual euphemism for doing what you like but has serious prototypical connotations if you extend your modelling standards to your operational realism (crrikey - what a bit of pontification that sounded like :blush: ).

But what it means is that you have a choice and it's not a question of 'should' but 'could' - if you fancy having some mid-platform signals and the Railway you are modelling went in for them and your platforms are long enough to avoid the 'over-signalled' look then you could go for some. If the prototype Railway you are following didn't go in for such indulgences on platforms of the length you are modelling then you needn't go for mid-platform signals but you can - under Local Instructions - still have two trains sharing a platform JLTRT. Hope that helps at least give a guide to the choices you might have?

So is the Class 08 going to be 'on scene' throughout the day assuming it was manned over three whole shifts, or will it disappear at certain times and the shunting will then be done by the train locos?

The first move of the day is the arrival of the shunter at 1.30 am, in time for the Nottingham Parcels. It departs, LE at 5/30 in the afternoon. The evening arrivals still dispose of there own stock, backing out into the carriage sidings, the loco's mostly having balancing return workings of parcels trains. Presumably this would still require three crews working 8 hour shifts! After 5/30, the shunter could conceivably help out at the goods depot of scene before returning to the shed.

Archived