Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Hi Ron

Are you still decorating? I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms.

SS

Hi,

Injured my left index finger and thumb, so have a very sore and swollen left hand. One handed modelling is a non-starter at the moment

Have managed to do some prep. work for the webcam installations within the train shed. Now have six suitable webcams dismantled to their bare board and lens assemblies and the two large hoardings over the concourse beneath the station clock and overlooking platforms 3/4 and 5/6 are suitable locations for two of the cameras to be hidden, and the vertical boarding over the top of the left luggage office at the end of platforms 1/2 would be an additional location for a third camera. Still checking suitable places for at least two more cameras at the opposite end of the train shed platforms high up in the gable end. The wiring could be run and hidden relatively easily at this early stage of roof detailing

The roof cladding and glazing is still in abeyance awaiting full recovery of my left hand

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Found this picture on Facebook, thought it would come in useful It is of Manchester Central inners under the roofing

Thanks Ian, have this one in my reference collection. Always scouring the web for for more pictures which do come up occasionally

Collection is now in excess of 1250 pictures, but some areas and details still missing

Cheers

Ron

• Like 3

How's the left hand doing Ron?

Grip between the finger and thumb is OK, but need to try a pressure hold i.e. pushing down on a SS rule to grip a styrene sheet whilst cutting it along the rule. This weekend will show whether I can make a satisfactory restart

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ron

Are you back to full modelling fitness yet? The withdrawal symptoms are getting quite bad now, I can hardly hold a pint now without spilling it.

SS

Hope you are only spilling it in the right direction - towards your mouth

Now fully recovered, and I can hold a pint without spilling it, with either hand - SWMBO has signed me off, and Monday has been designated as a 'return to work' - stretching over and crawling under the train shed roof

Will post pictures as work progresses

Cheers

Ron

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hope you are only spilling it in the right direction - towards your mouth

Now fully recovered, and I can hold a pint without spilling it, with either hand - SWMBO has signed me off, and Monday has been designated as a 'return to work' - stretching over and crawling under the train shed roof

Will post pictures as work progresses

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron

Glad to hear that you are back to full fitness and I am looking forward to the updates.

SS

Hi, All

The roof coverings have warped - look like the ripples in the sand when the tide has gone out. Have taken all morning to remove them without damage to the structure, and now in the process of re-printing the card (timber plank) roof linings, which incidentally didn't ripple. It would appear that the fixing of the styrene core warped due to being spot fixed on to the span beams

Taken the view that maybe balsa sheets would be better as a core, as they would curve easily over the span beams whilst resisting the tendency to warp/ripple along their grain and the roof. Have ordered the balsa sheets from the nearest model shop in Valencia, and they will be courier delivered tomorrow morning

It would appear that my 'injury time' saved me from a bigger disaster, if I had been able to continue the build some weeks back

Cheers

Ron

The courier has let me down - the 24/48 hour service - looks as though it is going to be at least 96 hours

In the meantime, I have started the glazing assemblies -

post-10633-0-72891900-1429207115_thumb.png

Typical 2 sheet arrangement for a single 140mm bay - comprising 20 panes @ 7mm centres and 28mm long

post-10633-0-14450000-1429207128_thumb.png

Oblique view showing the sheets overlap

post-10633-0-26476700-1429206642_thumb.jpg

A completed 2 bay assembly i.e. 280mm long x 56mm deep - comprises 20thou x 29mm clear plastic strips with 20thou x 20 thou black microstrip glazing bars

- just a few more to do

• Like 12

A quick update on the glazing -

post-10633-0-47363500-1429451036_thumb.jpg

Another 2 pane strip underway. The 20th x 20th x 28mm microstrips are fixed by way a delicate touch to each end with a solvent wetted brush. Capillary action along the microstrip fixes it to the glazing strip

post-10633-0-05531000-1429451065_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-16144500-1429451097_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-18231700-1429451129_thumb.jpg

Two 2 pane x 280mm glazing assemblies completed, alongside two 4 pane and one 5 pane glazing strips awaiting the fixing of the microstrips

The curved portion of the roof requires -

12 x 280mm, 2 x 252mm and 2 x 112mm = Two 2 pane assemblies each totalling a length of 2044mm

10 x 280mm and 2 x 252mm = Two 4 pane assemblies each totalling a length of 1652mm

2 x 280mm and 2 x 112mm = Two 5 pane assemblies each totalling a length of 392mm

So there is still some way to go

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

A quick update on the glazing -

attachicon.gifIMG_1967.JPG

Another 2 pane strip underway. The 20th x 20th x 28mm microstrips are fixed by way a delicate touch to each end with a solvent wetted brush. Capillary action along the microstrip fixes it to the glazing strip

attachicon.gifIMG_1968.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1969.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1970.JPG

Two 2 pane x 280mm glazing assemblies completed, alongside two 4 pane and one 5 pane glazing strips awaiting the fixing of the microstrips

The curved portion of the roof requires -

12 x 280mm, 2 x 252mm and 2 x 112mm = Two 2 pane assemblies each totalling a length of 2044mm

10 x 280mm and 2 x 252mm = Two 4 pane assemblies each totalling a length of 1652mm

2 x 280mm and 2 x 112mm = Two 5 pane assemblies each totalling a length of 392mm

So there is still some way to go

Hi Ron

It would have been nice to have had two votes on the ratings, I gave a craftsmanship clever, but I would like to have added a friendly and supportive for the repetitiveness of the task in hand. As always work above and beyond the call of duty.

Cheers

SS

Hi Ron

It would have been nice to have had two votes on the ratings, I gave a craftsmanship clever, but I would like to have added a friendly and supportive for the repetitiveness of the task in hand. As always work above and beyond the call of duty.

Cheers

SS

I am happy to receive any and all ratings. Thanks

Have completed the third 2 pane strip, and the first 4 pane strip - just about getting into my stride now. The guillotining of the 28mm microstrips does tend to slow the assembly down a little - 40 needed per pane strip

Cheers

Ron

• Like 3

I'm having all on doing a Metcalfe kit, How you do this god only knows !!!! WOW 

Thanks. Scratchbuilding enables you to set your own parameters with the design, materials and assembly, and may be easier overall than building a kit if your skills allow

Don't play down your modelling - the methodology of assembly may be pre-defined in a kit, but you still need plenty of patience to achieve an acceptable model

Your modelling is what makes you happy

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

....Our modelling is what makes us happy but then we see your master piece and well I won't be the only one saying a go a little green with envy!!

The speed at which Ron works (very fast) also contributes to the sense of inferiority for most of us.

It is breathtaking, though. Shame it can't be displayed at the G-Mex centre......

• Like 1

Didn't manage to get any modelling done yesterday. However, completed the second 4 pane strip and a 5 pane strip this morning, and chopped another 400+ 28mm microstrips ready for a blast at another five 2 pane strips. This should allow me sufficient to start fixing them to the roof - pictures probably Friday

• Like 1

This morning's stretch on the train shed roof - 'stretch' being the operative word -

post-10633-0-29736900-1429872279_thumb.jpg

The East side of the shed with the first set of 2 pane glazing

post-10633-0-31125100-1429872217_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-58972000-1429872186_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-40704100-1429872247_thumb.jpg

Close-ups of the glazing in-situ -

post-10633-0-53070800-1429872093_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-77779700-1429872124_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-92824900-1429872155_thumb.jpg

Internal views -

post-10633-0-42927800-1429872310_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-25790700-1429872341_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-70569900-1429872384_thumb.jpg

Question - The east side of the train shed is between 400mm and 800mm from the baseboard edge - the glazing on this side will be clear. The decision to be made is for the west side of the train shed where the baseboard edge is between 1800mm and 2200mm - should the glazing be frosted/weathered to be closer to the original

Back to the microstripping -

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I would think that a major deciding factor is whether or not you will be able to see it from normal viewing positions. The other factor is of course, will you fret over it if you don't adhere to the prototype once you have finished it. Full support from me which ever direction you choose for this masterpiece.