Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

You must be pleased with that Ron.  Just out of interest, how heavy is the roof structure?

Best wishes,

Chris.

Hi, Chris

Having just fixed it to the baseboard, the overall weight is subject to a calculation  :scratchhead:

The two gable ends being still unfixed, weigh in at 1.44kg total (actual)

Based on the construction of the 14 span beams and 255 transverse beams, the weight would be at least a further 4.5kg (calculated)

Good job the build was in sections - couldn't hope to have lifted and positioned it in one piece

The roof cladding and glazing will add a further 1.5kg approx. (calculated)

So the roof in total will weigh in at approx 7.5kg

The curtain walls which are of card construction weigh 3.8kg for each 2.2m length (actual)

Hope this is of interest

Ron

• Like 7

Have you considered not putting the roof cladding and glazing on it?  Basically the thing is a work of art at present.  Putting the cladding on it will hide all that beautiful structure away.  OK it will be slightly less realistic - but visually more impressive as it is at present.  One extra advantage is that you can see the trains under the shed roof with no cladding. 

Have you considered not putting the roof cladding and glazing on it?  Basically the thing is a work of art at present.  Putting the cladding on it will hide all that beautiful structure away.  OK it will be slightly less realistic - but visually more impressive as it is at present.  One extra advantage is that you can see the trains under the shed roof with no cladding. 

This is still under consideration to provide realism, visual impact, practicality, lighting and viewing - access is via the platform hoist. Will need to carry out a number of partial trails to try to achieve most if not all the main requirements

Ron

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ron

I'm absolutly gob smacked by this awesome piece of structural plasticard engineering.

Have you looked at Liverpool Lime Street, I think they took the decision not to glaze the roof.

Great work.

Edit: to eradicate big fingers on the tab.

Edited by Siberian Snooper

Ron

I'm absolutly gob smacked by this awesome piece of structural plasticard engineering.

Have you looked at Liverpool Lime Street, I tbink they took the decision not to glaze the roof.

Great work.

Thanks

Follow Liverpool Lime Street with interest, and acknowledge their decision to not clad/glaze the roof structure

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A few hours late - the latest pictures of the progress on the fixing of the train shed roof structure

attachicon.gifIMG_0909.JPG

View from the Concourse end at platform level

attachicon.gifIMG_0910.JPG

The curtain wall is only placed in position - still requires a great deal of detailing, etc.

attachicon.gifIMG_0911.JPG

View over the Station & CLC goods yard area

attachicon.gifIMG_0912.JPG

The gable end transom placed but not fixed - the external platform extensions and canopies continue from this point to the right

attachicon.gifIMG_0913.JPG

View thro' the West side - the white patches will be covered with brickwork detailing, etc.

attachicon.gifIMG_0914.JPG

The span section links/transverse beams fixed, and await the over span ties and windbracing

attachicon.gifIMG_0915.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0916.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0917.JPG

View from outside the North end gable - restaurant/cafe building to the left (to be finished and detailed

attachicon.gifIMG_0918.JPG

Views of the East side curtain wall - Platform 8 canopy will be fixed along the length of this wall

attachicon.gifIMG_0919.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0920.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0921.JPG

The concourse gable end - additional lower level glazed canopy, timber facing and station offices will be added - ..... and the clocks

Working under the roof has been assisted by the use of a bar stool complete with fluffy black cushion  :sarcastichand:

attachicon.gifIMG_0922.JPG

The first part of the West wall is laid by the corner

... work on the Train Shed can now proceed alongside all the other work which is progressing - shouldn't get any excuse for an impasse now

I've resisted the temptation to comment on your excellent work so far, but for me, this takes it to a different level.  It is difficult to judge from the pictures, how big is the model ?

Adrian

I've resisted the temptation to comment on your excellent work so far, but for me, this takes it to a different level.  It is difficult to judge from the pictures, how big is the model ?

Adrian

Hi, Adrian

The Train Shed is 2105mm long over the gable ends (excluding the front canopies/offices), 840mm wide across the span beams, and 370mm high from platform level to apex ventilator upstand

Cheers

Ron

My gast is flabbered, my smack is gobbed.

There is no suitable smiley, this is just fantastic.

Wonderful work, Ron, and desperate to see it continue.

More power to your elbow,

Regards

Ian

Thanks Ian

Definitely more to come

Cheers

Ron

Ron that is some huge structure.

Once agIn the quality of your work surpasses itself you must be pleased it is so impressive

Look forward to seeing trains in their

Don't know if I dare ask having seen these pictures but how are the brass etchings for the outside structures

Ron that is some huge structure.

Once agIn the quality of your work surpasses itself you must be pleased it is so impressive

Look forward to seeing trains in their

Don't know if I dare ask having seen these pictures but how are the brass etchings for the outside structures

Hi, Gary

Thanks

An unusual occurrence in modelling - When I am stood inside the structure it brings back many memories from the late 1950's and through the 60's, and recall some of the details which need to be modelled

My daughter is bringing the packages from the UK round Sunday lunchtime. Will post some pictures of their contents later that evening

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Just found this thread. Can't add much more than that said above. Absolutely amazing work Ron you've got some modelling skills!

Will be following from now on and watching with great interest and admiration.

Martin

Once again you've outdone yourself Ron, absolutely fantastic modelling and some of the best out there. Can't wait for more.

Michael

Thanks Michael

There is a whole lot more to come - working on many fronts now

Cheers

Ron

• Like 3

I think we need a Ron Heggs has done it again button as we don't have a button which show how amazing your work is.

Richard

Thanks Richard

Surely we have enough buttons to push

As SWMBO says laughingly, it's only sticking bits of plastic together  :scratchhead:

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Packages received -

15 printer ink cartridges

Hornby LNER 2-8-2 P2 TTS (was ordered as last year's Xmas Present)

Brass etches for the Castlefield Viaduct

post-10633-0-51993700-1417379380_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, two etched sheets (for the Overhead Beams) are missing. Have contacted the etchers, and await their reply

• Like 6