Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

To fix the third cladding strip to the train shed roof, sixteen clamps will be needed for each longitudinal edge (one for each span beam fixing point). Therein lies the problem - with only a 25mm x 20mm x 15mm triangular space to get a clamp in, and with a clamping height (open jaw height) of 24mm, it appears that such a clamp is not available, and I will have to produce a suitable clamp. The clamping pressure required is fairly low

Have drawn a possible solution based on 60thou styrene sheet -

Assembled view

post-10633-0-85457900-1420560969_thumb.png

Exploded view

post-10633-0-33703900-1420560971.png

Jaw depth - 15mm

Jaw Opening Max - 40mm

Post/Handle - 75mm x 10mm

Jaw locking by tapered peg

It is possible to lower the Top Jaw with the Post/Handle down through the triangular opening from above, thread the lower jaw from below, and tighten the clamp using the tapered peg

.... off to do some styrene cutting, assembly and testing

• Like 2

To fix the third cladding strip to the train shed roof, sixteen clamps will be needed for each longitudinal edge (one for each span beam fixing point). Therein lies the problem - with only a 25mm x 20mm x 15mm triangular space to get a clamp in, and with a clamping height (open jaw height) of 24mm, it appears that such a clamp is not available, and I will have to produce a suitable clamp. The clamping pressure required is fairly low

Have drawn a possible solution based on 60thou styrene sheet -

Assembled view

attachicon.gifclamp#1.png

Exploded view

Jaw depth - 15mm

Jaw Opening Max - 40mm

Post/Handle - 75mm x 10mm

Jaw locking by tapered peg

It is possible to lower the Top Jaw with the Post/Handle down through the triangular opening from above, thread the lower jaw from below, and tighten the clamp using the tapered peg

.... off to do some styrene cutting, assembly and testing

Hello Ron,

before you go to far could you make some of the parts from say plywood so that if any glue got on to the clamp it would not stick.

Or just face the clamp faces with a bit of tin foil.

OzzyO.

Hello Ron,

before you go to far could you make some of the parts from say plywood so that if any glue got on to the clamp it would not stick.

Or just face the clamp faces with a bit of tin foil.

OzzyO.

Happy New Year Ozzy

The Aluminium Foil route would be easier - just got to 'borrow' some when SWMBO isn't looking

Cheers

Ron

Can you not use sticky tape? Add the cladding strip and hold in position with blue tack or weights etc and then feed tape up and over the strip and pull down to pin into position? Might not be possible given the dimensions you have posted.

Ron I have some clamps which would fit the bill and which were brought quite cheaply form local diy store and cheap shops depends if they are available in Spain will post a photo later. I use them for all sorts of purposes and at them moment mainly to hold components

during spraying

Los mejores deseos para 2015 Ron.

It is my first visit to the project this year and it really is uncanny to see the lighting and interior atmosphere of that great space re-appearing.

I have a question for you.

As a frequent user of the old Central station I was forever disappointed with the improvised timber weatherboarded main elevation facing across to the Midland Hotel. I'd like to ask whether you have ever considered conceiving and modelling an alternative "what ought to have been" facade? 

It could be interchangable to the actual elevation that Cheshire Lines promised would be 'temporary' but which turned out to be permanent.

In my mind as I approached, I always pictured something like the gothic  arcades to Tiviot Dale with fenestration to offices above in brick and stone, with the great arch of the train shed and its clock oversailing everything behind.

dh

Can you not use sticky tape? Add the cladding strip and hold in position with blue tack or weights etc and then feed tape up and over the strip and pull down to pin into position? Might not be possible given the dimensions you have posted.

Thanks for your suggestion, Ian

The 'strip' is 129mm wide with black card upper surface, needs to be clamped to the curved span beams along the length of both edges. Couldn't easily achieve that with tape, but possible with lengths of string 

• Like 1

Los mejores deseos para 2015 Ron.

It is my first visit to the project this year and it really is uncanny to see the lighting and interior atmosphere of that great space re-appearing.

I have a question for you.

As a frequent user of the old Central station I was forever disappointed with the improvised timber weatherboarded main elevation facing across to the Midland Hotel. I'd like to ask whether you have ever considered conceiving and modelling an alternative "what ought to have been" facade? 

It could be interchangable to the actual elevation that Cheshire Lines promised would be 'temporary' but which turned out to be permanent.

In my mind as I approached, I always pictured something like the gothic  arcades to Tiviot Dale with fenestration to offices above in brick and stone, with the great arch of the train shed and its clock oversailing everything behind.

dh

Gracias, dh

The 'alternative facade' would be very interesting - a future project possibly

Ron

• Like 2

Simple ideas are usually the best - have discarded the small clamp idea (to save time & material), and gone for a simple long clamp made from two pieces of wood strip and two machine screws and nuts

post-10633-0-89910900-1421255181_thumb.jpg

Working out just fine. Two more bays to go, then it's the apex vent to build

• Like 16

The Correos delivered a couple of packages this afternoon - expected a couple of weeks ago, but the poor weather conditions in the UK recently must have had an effect on postal deliveries just after Xmas

Package 1 - The missing two etches for the Castlefield Viaduct Overhead Span Beams

Package 2 - Styrene and glazing sheets for the Train Shed

May be able to make some progress now - If I can find the time from painting the villa and redecorating one of the bedrooms

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 1

Happy New Year to All

Just managed to fix the first seven spandrels in place, after a long day in the garden clearing leaves, weeds, pruning last year's growth and picking a few oranges. Now posting the pictures with the sun just setting behind the mountains at the west end of the valley - ... and it's only the first day of the New Year

In the railway room all is quiet and the only light is from the overhead fluorescent fittings - with chocolates in one hand and a beer in the other, now is the time to press the shutter

... and that's the last of the poetic ramblings, on with the modelling  :declare:

attachicon.gifIMG_1961.JPG

View from platform level

attachicon.gifIMG_1962.JPG

View from eaves level

attachicon.gifIMG_1963.JPG

The gable transom comprises two span beams, and therefore has two spandrels, just about visible

The walls definitely need more detailing before being fixed, and the eaves glazing constructed

Phwoarrrrrr!

• 3 weeks later...

No idea if you are interested but I have a copy of the original clc document showing the location and purpose of all the signals that were installed in the 1930s resignalling.

Would you like a copy?

Thanks. That's a definite YES

Please advise how you would prefer to send me a copy

Cheers

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...