Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

That's the beauty of adding beer in cans one at a time, you can see and feel if things are going awry, and then comfort yourself if they do :P

Just putting that one down in my modelling notebook!

Can't wait to see some photos of the painted up structure, Ron!

I've just come back to have another look at this. I am utterly amazed.

*rifles through dictionary for more superlatives* ....*fails*....*sighs*

I'm with Horsetan on this what can one say, if it was 7mm I'd be impressed but in 4mm I'm very impressed.

Keep them coming Ron.

OzzyO.

Just putting that one down in my modelling notebook!

Can't wait to see some photos of the painted up structure, Ron!

Hi, Sean

Thanks for that - Pictures probably on Sunday, if weather holds out - still a bit unsettled down here

Cheers

Ron

I've just come back to have another look at this. I am utterly amazed.

*rifles through dictionary for more superlatives* ....*fails*....*sighs*

Thanks for your continued views and comments

Cheers

Ron

I'm with Horsetan on this what can one say, if it was 7mm I'd be impressed but in 4mm I'm very impressed.

Keep them coming Ron.

OzzyO.

Thanks - more pictures this weekend, hopefully - depends on weather (painting and drying conditions)

Cheers

Ron

Hi, Sean

Thanks for that - Pictures probably on Sunday, if weather holds out - still a bit unsettled down here

Cheers

Ron

Ditto here, Ron... We've a mix of foggy mornings, overly bright sunshine mid part of the day and then torrential thunderstorms, not conducive to research jaunts (but if the weather holds out this afternoon, me and my camera are going to do one) or scenery building as I can't leave things to cure out on the balcony.

I look forward to the images!

... the deck beams are complete, and fixed in place with the deck fixed over them

before I build the overhead cross-bracing beams, there is just time for the customary topping-out test :rolleyes:

40_051131_270000000.jpg

18 cans in place this time to give it a real test :unsure:

40_051131_280000001.jpg

and one pic to show the deflection from the 5.94kg load

40_051131_280000002.jpg

just 1.5mm at the centre of the span 40_051143_300000000.gif

... well that was a good test - now for a drop of the amber nectar -- Cheers cool.gif

... to be continued >>>>>

Do you hold your breath every time you place a can on the bridge Ron? The whole viaduct looking superb.

Colin

• Like 1

Do you hold your breath every time you place a can on the bridge Ron? The whole viaduct looking superb.

Colin

Hi, Colin

No, is the quick answer

You can feel any movement if it occurs, which didn't

It remained completed firm and stable throughout the test, but I didn't have any more cans rolleyes.gif, and I felt that testing any further wasn't going to prove anything constructive

Cheers

Ron

Besides, if that was a 24 can slab you must have already enjoyed at least 6 cans during the day!!!

Isn't it amazing what you can achieve with a small mountain of very small pieces of flat plastic and a couple of large bottles of glue.

I have learned three things since coming back to the sport of railway modelling - respect (for those who can do what I can't), humility (when you realise that you can't do something no matter how hard you try), and patience (coz Rome wasn't built in a day). You certainly have my respect and I feel humble watching this as you continue to press on single mindedly with an extremely large and therefore ambitious project that is the envy of all of us on this forum.

Off to bellow at the ref at a football match now. tongue.gif

Besides, if that was a 24 can slab you must have already enjoyed at least 6 cans during the day!!!

Isn't it amazing what you can achieve with a small mountain of very small pieces of flat plastic and a couple of large bottles of glue.

I have learned three things since coming back to the sport of railway modelling - respect (for those who can do what I can't), humility (when you realise that you can't do something no matter how hard you try), and patience (coz Rome wasn't built in a day). You certainly have my respect and I feel humble watching this as you continue to press on single mindedly with an extremely large and therefore ambitious project that is the envy of all of us on this forum.

Off to bellow at the ref at a football match now. tongue.gif

Actually Ian, my week off was because my youngest daughter and her husband were over here, and that's where the other 18 cans (out of 3 x 12 packs) went, I only drink a couple of cans a week cool.gif

It's marvellous what you can do with many small pieces of plastic, card, etc., and plenty of drive :rolleyes:

I presume your only going to watch, because the result is a foregone conclusion, so the ref will get it if it turns out all wrong :lol:

Enjoy and cheers

Ron

Actually the ref turned out to be only a year or so older than my boy and the result was a forfeit because the opposition didn't have enough players turn up! They all had a bit of a thrash around the park for an hour or so and we retired to Maccas for morning tea.

Looking forward to the weekend painting. How are the plans for the basement coming on?

Actually the ref turned out to be only a year or so older than my boy and the result was a forfeit because the opposition didn't have enough players turn up! They all had a bit of a thrash around the park for an hour or so and we retired to Maccas for morning tea.

Looking forward to the weekend painting. How are the plans for the basement coming on?

Hi, Ian

I bet your son was happy with the result, if not disappointed he never got to play

Weather here rather damp, so painting postponed

No news yet. Don't forget this is Spain laugh1.gif

Cheers

Ron

• RMweb Gold

I have only just come across this thread and like everyone else I'm extremely impressed (an obvious understatement). As a piece of plastic structure modelling it must already compare with the very best and there is more to come, anyone contemplating industrialised repetition on that scale deserves a good deal of admiration.

I just wonder if you go to bed dreaming of lattices :blink:

I have only just come across this thread and like everyone else I'm extremely impressed (an obvious understatement). As a piece of plastic structure modelling it must already compare with the very best and there is more to come, anyone contemplating industrialised repetition on that scale deserves a good deal of admiration.

I just wonder if you go to bed dreaming of lattices :blink:

Hi,

Thanks for your much appreciated comments

No, I don't have time to dream or have nightmares :rolleyes:

Thinking time is early morning over breakfast :unsure:

Late evening is time for drawing, planning and research help.gif

Actual modelling is sometime in between :yes:

Cheers

Ron

Well gentlemen, this is the end of the construction for this bridge which has been suitably topped-out with invited guest SWMBO, beer for me and a glass of water for her drinks.gif

Commissioning date to be announced at an unspecified date sometime in the future angry.gif

The sandstone detailing of the bridge abutments and piers will be completed when the brick viaducts either end of the bridge are built, to ensure reasonable matching of the brickwork colouring, etc. Then all will be weathered suitably for Manchester in the period 1950-1969 (wet and grime ridden, especially over the canal wharfs) rolleyes.gif

Here is an extensive collection of photos of the finished article -

40_081121_350000000.jpg

40_081121_350000001.jpg

40_081121_350000002.jpg

40_081121_360000003.jpg

40_081121_360000004.jpg

40_081123_090000000.jpg

40_081123_100000001.jpg

40_081123_100000002.jpg

40_081123_100000003.jpg

40_081123_100000004.jpg

40_081124_550000000.jpg

40_081124_550000001.jpg

40_081124_560000002.jpg

40_081124_560000003.jpg

40_081124_550000001.jpg

40_081124_560000002.jpg

40_081124_560000004.jpg

40_081126_420000000.jpg

40_081126_420000001.jpg

40_081126_430000002.jpg

40_081126_430000003.jpg

40_081126_430000004.jpg

40_081128_390000000.jpg

40_081128_390000001.jpg

40_081128_400000002.jpg

40_081128_400000003.jpg

40_081128_410000004.jpg

40_081129_090000000.jpg

Hope you find them of some interest

The next project is the Castlefield Viaduct which is immediately adjacent to the Cornbrook Viaduct

There will be a slight intermission whilst I gather all the necessary materials, etc. together cray.gif

Expected start date will be early June subject to contract agreement with SWMBO, and hire of suitable building site within her jurisdiction yes.gif

Cheers drinks.gif

Ron

• Like 13

That's looking superb, Ron. Nice work indeed!

I can't wait to see how the Castlefield Viaduct develops, and waiting patiently for the instalments with that project!

Hi, Sean

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated

You can tell that the weather down here improved, so that I could get the bridge painted today

Gathering all the info. for the big push. Although still awaiting some drawing details from National Archives, which can't be obtained from site (closed access), only photographic details possible

See your photoshoot around the station went OK - Still watching your blog, etc.

Cheers

Ron

Lovely work Ron as always.

How much more can you build before you need to move into the basement? I'm really looking forward to the overall roof for some reason. Something about that screams complete madness in 1:76 and yet it is so huge!

Can't wait for the next instalment.