Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be a severe risk of Foot in Mouth disease around here with all these jaws on the floor...

Simply stunning work Ron, the way you can look at a structure and reduce it to flat elements amazes me. I would not know where to even start with making piers like these and you make it look so simple.

Andi

Hi Ron.

At least we have something in common…… we drink the same beer!

Warn me just before you are going to do the load testing on the 4,5m new project so I can get some supplies in for summer!:drinks:

Fantastic modelling.

Andy

There seems to be a severe risk of Foot in Mouth disease around here with all these jaws on the floor...

Simply stunning work Ron, the way you can look at a structure and reduce it to flat elements amazes me. I would not know where to even start with making piers like these and you make it look so simple.

Andi

Hi, Andi

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated

It does take a bit of thinking about, as always there is more than one way to acheive the result. But my aim is to take the simplest method whilst still being able to repeat it easily without trying to make it a one off work of art

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron.

At least we have something in common…… we drink the same beer!

Warn me just before you are going to do the load testing on the 4,5m new project so I can get some supplies in for summer!:drinks:

Fantastic modelling.

Andy

Hi, Andy

Just passed thro' Murcia this morning on the way back from Carzola in Andalucia, it was a bit wet and cool out there this week, but its back to the sunshine and warmth

I will give a reasonable warning of all future tests, so that topping out of each span can be approached in a workmanlike manner :drinks:

... and thanks for your comments

Cheers

Ron

I really like the way you break the task down and give very useful stepped explanations

The modelling clay you used could solve a problem for me with cornicing on station buildings I will be modelling

Is there a trade name to ask for or supplier ?- I am only familiar with with DAS?

Looking forward to the next bits!

Many thanks

Bob Hughes

HI, Bob

The step by step helps me remember how I achieved the results rolleyes.gif

My experience with DAS was that it hardens completely and becomes brittle and subject to cracking

The product I have used is Lewis NewClay a type of plasticine, which hardens but doesn't embrittle or crack

I purchased it a few years back at one Hobbycraft shops in Basildon , Essex for £1.50, it is now £2.99

They do have quite a few shops around the UK, and an online shop

The online product link is Lewis NewClay

Cheers

Ron

Managed to restart the build this evening -

... So completing the top part of the fluted capitol to the pier -

Cut a piece of plasticard 40thou x 53mm x 53mm with a hole 40.5mm dia

Slip it over the top of the pipe/pier and then cut a strip plasticard 20thou x 127.5mm x 7mm wrap it around the pipe/pier, and fix it to the previous 53mm x 53mm square piece, being careful not fix to the pipe

Remove the square with the strip in place from the pipe/pier, and mark using the previous template, and cut slits in the square plasticard

Cut two pieces of plasticard 40thou x 51mm x 7mm, and two pieces 40thou x 49mm x 7mm. Using the template mark these strips with the corresponding spacings

Using a hole punch cut 4mm dia holes out of the strips at the relevant postions as marked

Cut the remaining marked plasticard to form three arches in each strip

Fix the strips to the square plasticard, lining up the arches with the slits. The two 51mm strips on oppsite sides, and similarly the two 49mm strips, to form a 51mm square box

40_201324_490000000.jpg

40_201324_500000001.jpg

Note the slits visible on the 53mm x 53mm square plasticard

Remove the pieces of plasticard between the slits

40_201324_500000002.jpg

40_201324_510000003.jpg

Cut small pieces of strip 7mm high, and fix to each edge/side of the openings to form the continuation of the flutes

40_201324_510000004.jpg

Fix the assembly in place on the pipe/pier, ensuring all the faces of the two corresponding squares are closely fixed

40_201325_450000000.jpg

40_201325_460000002.jpg

40_201325_460000001.jpg

Moulding clay is placed in the top of each arched flute, and moulded into the arched tops of the flutes

40_201656_140000001.jpg

40_201656_130000000.jpg

40_201656_140000002.jpg

40_201656_150000004.jpg

The next part of the build is to construct the split moulded sections which locate the lower span beams, and build the lower castellated section

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 3

Hi Ron,

Where you describe the use of the modelling clay "The next step is to fill the area below the annulus with moulding clay and produce a concave fillet", do you achieve the nice smooth concave surface simply using your fingers?

Do the cut flutes stick to the surface of the plasticard sufficiently well to stand up to the "Final cleaning up will be carried out before painting"?

I love your project and only came across it today when my son (now 42) pointed it out to me. He thought I would be interested as I started a similar one quite a few years ago but faltered with some of the details you have conquered so superbly – although I still have many of the pieces I made at that time. Do you intend constructing all three sets of viaducts, including the earliest CLC (lower level) one?

Regards,

Norm

Hi Ron,

Where you describe the use of the modelling clay "The next step is to fill the area below the annulus with moulding clay and produce a concave fillet", do you achieve the nice smooth concave surface simply using your fingers?

Do the cut flutes stick to the surface of the plasticard sufficiently well to stand up to the "Final cleaning up will be carried out before painting"?

I love your project and only came across it today when my son (now 42) pointed it out to me. He thought I would be interested as I started a similar one quite a few years ago but faltered with some of the details you have conquered so superbly – although I still have many of the pieces I made at that time. Do you intend constructing all three sets of viaducts, including the earliest CLC (lower level) one?

Regards,

Norm

Hi, Norm

Thanks for your comments

The concave surfaces are produced using an old craft knife holder which is aluminium alloy and has a diameter of 8mm

post-10633-0-30501700-1305960932_thumb.jpg

Repeated moves along the length of the clay moulding seems to work best, but it is a bit of trial and error

To prevent the clay sticking to the tool, I had thought of wiping it with liquid soap or something similar, but reconsidered it because it could cause problems with painting later on

The final cleaning up is usually reasonably easy. Brushing the moulding with diluted paint and using a craft knife to give it a final smoothing and edge cleaning

... and yes, all three viaducts, although the earliest one the MSJ&AR is mainly brick built with cast/wrought single bridge spans

I have kept all my trial builds just to show myself, how much my modelling has improved

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Onward and upward -

Cut and laminate into two separate identical items

2 pieces - 40thou x 61mm x 23mm

6 pieces - 40thou x 53mm x 19mm

2 pieces - 20thou x 53mm x 19mm

A fillet of moulding clay completes the two sections

40_211701_480000000.jpg

40_211701_490000001.jpg

The two sections are fixed into position on the top of the pier

40_211701_490000002.jpg

40_211701_490000003.jpg

40_211701_500000004.jpg

Moving on to the lower castellated decoration -

Three pieces of 20thou plasticard are cut with 5.75mm x 8.5mm castellations, and fixed at their edges

40_211703_480000000.jpg

20thou x 3.5mm strips are fixed at the vertical edges of the castellations

40_211703_490000004.jpg

40_211703_490000003.jpg

Two pieces of 40thou plasticard 62mm x 45mm and two pieces of 40thou x 52mm x 13mm are cut and fixed at their long vertical edges

40_211703_480000001.jpg

A further 62mm x 13mm strip is fixed centrally to prevent the assembly from warping

40_211703_480000002.jpg

The castellated assembly is fixed to the main vertical part of the upper part of the pier

40_211704_480000000.jpg

and then fixed to the top of the pier assembly

40_211704_480000001.jpg

40_211704_480000002.jpg

The upper castellated section will be built next, before all the castellated decoration is added

• Like 3

Any thoughts of making a mould to mass produce parts like this? Another 14 to go!!!!! Serious dedication especially when you are making each one individually.

Hi, Ian

Never produced moulds/moulded parts before

Only fourteen to make, I am not that desparate to reduce the production time, and I am sure the cost would be higher than plasticard, etc.

Cheers

Ron

The following photos illustrate the continuing steps in the pier build -

The processes have all been detailed previously, and are repeated in a similar fashion in this build

40_221749_470000000.jpg

Stepped cornice in 20 thou plasticard added to top of the upper part of the pier

40_221749_470000001.jpg

Second cornice box in 20thou plasticard ready for concave moulding

40_221749_480000002.jpg

Cornice moulding completed

40_221749_480000003.jpg

Vertical flutes marked and cut

40_221749_480000004.jpg

Stepped ledge piece in 20thou plasticard added with corresponding cuts for flutes

40_221751_050000000.jpg

Cornice assembly added to top of pier

40_221751_050000001.jpg

40_221751_060000002.jpg

40_221751_060000003.jpg

Upper part of flute assembly in 20thou plasticard cut & fixed and moulding added

40_221751_060000004.jpg

Upper flute assembly added to top of pier

40_221753_580000000.jpg

40_221753_590000001.jpg

Upper castellated assembly is next part of build

• Like 5

Ron / All,

just think that if this viaduct was being built nowadays it would all be in concrete with no decoration.

I take my hat off to the Victorian designers and engineers.

Fantastic work Ron.

OzzyO.

.......not just amazing modelling; the photography and lighting!..looks like a Greek God will appear on the top of it! :D .

This thread is fantastic!

Andy

Hi, Andy

Thanks for your comments

The Greek God definitely wont be me rolleyes.gif

I prefer night time photo, because of the plain white plasticard requires extra shadow and contrast to show it reasonably well

The desktop modelling lamp provides direct backlighting, and the camera's flash adds the frontal lighting

The biggest problem is trying get sufficient depth of field, so instead of macro close-up, I use max magnification and stand right back. Sometimes the pics come out a little fuzzy and shaky, so I select the best for the thread posts, and hope all of you are not too disappointed

Cheers

Ron

Ron / All,

just think that if this viaduct was being built nowadays it would all be in concrete with no decoration.

I take my hat off to the Victorian designers and engineers.

Fantastic work Ron.

OzzyO.

Hi,

I think you may be interested in this -

I received the original contract details for the Castlefield Viaduct from the National Archives at Kew on Saturday

Drawing numbers are detailed, unfortunately there are no drawings in the archive

The contract sum was £119,411 sterling, with a contract date of 12th June 1890, and a contract completion date of 31st March 1892

The specification gives an interesting insight into how the piers were built -

An excavation for each pier foundation was made 19'-0" deep, and Concrete laid in 2'-0" lifts

The pier cylinder was constructed from semi-circular Cast Iron segments flanged internally, and lined internally with Brindle brick

The pier parapets were made of Wrought Iron

The bridge girders were of Mild Steel

The bridge girders had bed plates of Cast Iron fixed to their undersides with planed channels fitted with Gunmetal strips acting as bearing surfaces, and these ran on slip bearings of 3" wide Lead strips, and similar Lead strips on Shap Granite blocks at the bridge abutments

The bridge deck was made up from Rivetted Wrought Iron plates, Rivets were 3/4" dia x 2" long and joints were made through Canvas steeped in Red Lead

Other details of steel/iron protection were also specified

All parts were painted before assembly, and received three coats of paint thereafter, each coat of a different colour (you guess why)

The final coat to be to an approved colour (not specified)

Labour rates incl tools, tackle, plant etc.

Labourers 1s-0d per hour

Erectors, Fitters and Blacksmiths 1s-6d per hour

Well I thought it was interesting yes.gif

Cheers

Ron

I forgot to mention that all the plasticard for this build was delivered on Saturday morningyahoo.gif

My modelling area now looks like a plasticard warehouse rolleyes.gif

Still waiting delivery of a dozen bottles of Plastic Weld, but I have two as backup, so that wont stop the show for now unsure.gif

Will be posting again tonight yes.gif

drinks.gif

Ron

All parts were painted before assembly, and received three coats of paint thereafter, each coat of a different colour (you guess why)

The final coat to be to an approved colour (not specified)

Labour rates incl tools, tackle, plant etc.

Labourers 1s-0d per hour

Erectors, Fitters and Blacksmiths 1s-6d per hour

Well I thought it was interesting yes.gif

Cheers

Ron

Hello Ron,

the only reason that I can come up with for the three different colours is so that an inspector / foreman could see that all parts had been painted.

How about the wages 1s (5p) per hour, or 1s6d (7.5p) per hour.

OzzyO.

Hello Ron,

the only reason that I can come up with for the three different colours is so that an inspector / foreman could see that all parts had been painted.

How about the wages 1s (5p) per hour, or 1s6d (7.5p) per hour.

OzzyO.

Hi,

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Inspection and testing were a big part of the contract specification

Those were contract rates to the contractor including the supply of tools, etc. not wages. The worker probably got less than 2p-3p an hour. Living then was all about day to day survival for workmen

Ron

And we're off again :) Should someone warn the government about possible earth tremours being caused by modeller's jaws hitting the ground simultaniously :laugh: seriously Ron its good to see the work you have done on this viaduct so far and will enjoy seeing more of it as you progress.

Colin

And we're off again :) Should someone warn the government about possible earth tremours being caused by modeller's jaws hitting the ground simultaniously :laugh: seriously Ron its good to see the work you have done on this viaduct so far and will enjoy seeing more of it as you progress.

Colin

Hi, Colin

Thanks for your much appreciated comments, although the one about earthquakes is a little near home, well about 200 km (125 miles) away

Cheers

Ron