Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

The first attempt failed - the pivot bearers soldered attachment points are not strong enough. Have now made the pivot bearers from sections of rail, which provide a greater area of attachment contact, and the cross-section is not prone to bending

Second attempt build underway

• Like 1

.. and the 2nd attempt build appears to be working OK -

post-10633-0-88679300-1439235458_thumb.jpg

A bit fuzzy - this is the revised pivot bearer fixed to the u/s of the running rail

post-10633-0-75679500-1439235517_thumb.jpg

This is the depression bar with slots for the bar to drop down over the pivot bearer

post-10633-0-24404700-1439235472_thumb.jpg

Two pivot rockers attached to the depression bar

post-10633-0-15873000-1439235487_thumb.jpg

Note the fixing point extensions which act as stops to prevent the depression bar from rising above the running rail

post-10633-0-59298600-1439235500_thumb.jpg

The rockers are fixed either side of the slot for the pivot bearer

post-10633-0-93499000-1439235530_thumb.jpg

The depression bar in place adjacent to the running rail

post-10633-0-24532400-1439235547_thumb.jpg

Temporary pivot in place

post-10633-0-38289100-1439235563_thumb.jpg

Side view showing the depression bar in the dropped position

Another seven pivot assemblies to build and fix to complete this rail section

A counterweight bar will be fixed to the free ends of the pivot rockers

It is envisaged that the depression bar will act upon a microswitch to give the appropriate signal to the operator's panel 

Ron

Yet again I (and others) am amazed at the lengths you go to with your model. Very interesting just to keep up with this thread. THANKS

John

I hope you don't get asked for one of these - they are extremely tedious to get all the parts identical and soldered precisely in place

.. and just for the relaying of a signal which may be for operational use in a model. Of course this could be simulated by more up-to-date electronic sensors and a dummy representation. But why not model it if it can be done - I always like a challenge, however impractical it may seem

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Hello Ron,

nice work as always, but I think that I may have used brass sections to get a finer look.

Now the big question, how are you going to fit the chairs? As you now have a full depth depression bar with no room for the chairs on the inside.

ATB

OzzyO.

Hello Ron,

nice work as always, but I think that I may have used brass sections to get a finer look.

Now the big question, how are you going to fit the chairs? As you now have a full depth depression bar with no room for the chairs on the inside.

ATB

OzzyO.

Hi, Ozzy

The builds so far were to prove the concept of buildability, and as you rightly point out chairs cannot be fitted to the running rail

The design has been refined and simplified a little, and will employ some brass sections for the depression bar and the counterweight bar. Remaining brass items will be fashioned from scrap brass saved from etchings. A small section of each of the chairs will need to be removed to enable the depression bar to fall to the lowest possible point

post-10633-0-00907000-1439324645_thumb.png

Will have to order the necessary brass sections from the UK

Cheers

Ron

• Like 3

A few more track components from C+L, and the magnets from First4Magnets arrived in the post this morning

Took a little time to test the magnets to achieve auto-decoupling - worked first and every subsequent time

post-10633-0-01147300-1439397002_thumb.jpg

Both couplings released with the magnets set at 20mm apart

post-10633-0-18140200-1439397033_thumb.jpg

Magnets fitted between sleepers

Have cut another 1500+ ply sleepers, plus 75 x 4mm x 300mm strips from 1mm thk. ply for timbering. They are all out in the sun drying after staining

With the exception of the check rail chairs, all the other C+L and Exactoscale items have been removed from the sprues and placed in their appropriate containers

The next trackwork templot has been printed and placed on its foamboard section with the necessary double-sided tape. Now awaits the placement of the ply sleepers and timbers

That's a job for tonight

• Like 5

Hi Ron, I have been following your posts with interest. I am sadly too young to have experienced Central in operation but found the disused station fascinating and have fond memories of attending the inaugural exhibition in 1986. It is such a shame the station and Midland line couldn't have remained open. Your superb model certainly helps to keep the spirit alive. I was just wondering if you could please elaborate on the uncoupling system - I have never seen this method before yet looks so simple. Is it a propitiatory system or bespoke and do you intend to install it on all your sidings? The only issue I can see is with locomotives of differing lengths. How do you intend to get around this? I would be grateful to hear your thoughts. Cheers, Jim

Hello Ron,

sorry to be a pain but should the coaches Etc. not be on the other side of the point and clear of the fouling point so that the loco could run around the stock without the train having to be pulled back?

I'm not sure of the workings at this station but in a lot of stations that had a middle road they would leave enough room for the loco to draw forward and move back passed the stock in the platform.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

And can you show the hook you made for decoupling? Think I found the magnets as you can search by width and some Neodymiurn came up that look as though they would fit my need, but I will need to check as I am using Peco track. (Can I mention such a heathen substance in this thread :no: )

Hi Ron, I have been following your posts with interest. I am sadly too young to have experienced Central in operation but found the disused station fascinating and have fond memories of attending the inaugural exhibition in 1986. It is such a shame the station and Midland line couldn't have remained open. Your superb model certainly helps to keep the spirit alive. I was just wondering if you could please elaborate on the uncoupling system - I have never seen this method before yet looks so simple. Is it a propitiatory system or bespoke and do you intend to install it on all your sidings? The only issue I can see is with locomotives of differing lengths. How do you intend to get around this? I would be grateful to hear your thoughts. Cheers, Jim

Hi, Jim

Will do post detailing the system

Ron

Hello Ron,

sorry to be a pain but should the coaches Etc. not be on the other side of the point and clear of the fouling point so that the loco could run around the stock without the train having to be pulled back?

I'm not sure of the workings at this station but in a lot of stations that had a middle road they would leave enough room for the loco to draw forward and move back passed the stock in the platform.

OzzyO.

The magnets were placed in the locations shown during testing of the decoupling action - the final positions will be prior to to the fouling point, which will be three full carriage lengths from the buffer stops

The turnout location was problem in later years as its distance from the buffer stops prevented Britannias using the middle road. 4-6-0's could just be accommodated

Ron

• Like 1

A quick run through on the method for making the hook extensions for the couplings -

post-10633-0-27725600-1439479688_thumb.jpg

Using a normal lightweight staple and a pair of taper point pliers form the 'square' hook and the flat fold, which will be used to wrap around the end of the drop part of the coupling

post-10633-0-54843700-1439479709_thumb.jpg

The 'hook' fitted on the coupling. To ensure the 'hook' locates correctly a depression is filed on both sides at the end of the coupling. The flat fold is placed in the depressions and the end of the flat wrapped around, and fixed with superglue

post-10633-0-16520600-1439479733_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-70870900-1439479759_thumb.jpg

View showing the coupling and 'hook' in normal position

post-10633-0-52095200-1439479779_thumb.jpg

.. and in the 'released' position. The 'hook' being attracted by a magnet set between the sleepers

The couplings are normally made from a non-ferrous alloy, and are not affected by magnets. The staple used as a 'hook' is normally made from iron or steel and will be attracted by magnets

By spacing the magnets equal to the distance between the 'hooks' on coupled rolling stock - which is approximately 20mm - then slow speed movement over the magnets will decouple the target stock

This method allows for decoupling even on curved trackwork, as long as full width magnets are used

As indicated in an earlier post the magnets which I have used are -

20mm x 6mm x 1.5mm thick N42 Neodymium - 1.6 kg Pull (North Pole Upwards)  Adhesive backed, Part Number F330NA-10,  sold in packs of 10

• Like 3

The second trackwork section, which is essentially identical to the first section, is well underway with some 15 hours expended so far. Needs the switch rails for the Y turnout filing and fixing to complete the track

Then the wire droppers, etc. will be soldered to the appropriate rails  

Awaiting delivery of the brass sections for the depression bars

Still have another two more identical trackwork sections to build, so plenty of work ahead

• Like 4

Hi, Jim

Hope that there is enough detail for you

Probably a little warmer here than in Melbourne at present

Cheers

Ron

Yes, thanks Ron - much appreciated. Simple but effective - I may adopt that method. Has been a tad cold of late in Melbourne - I even had ice on my windscreen yesterday!