AC Electrics

AMJ

I can commend Bachamann for planning to do the Class 85 AC electric loco.

As the wheelbase and body dimensions are prety much identical between the AL1-AL5 classes I think that we might find that some enterprising model shop will probably pay for an exclusive of one of the other classes.

The AL1-AL5 locos were all designed so that the cab layouts and most other dimensions were virtually identical. I bet that this has already been thought about in a similar way that we got the variations of the different rats (24 & 25).

• RMweb Gold

Length varies hugely between some of the early ACs, the 83 is very short compared to the others.

Lengths over buffers and bogie centres:

Class 81 - 56'6", 31'6"

Class 82 - 56'0", 30'9"

Class 83 - 52'6", 30'0"

Class 84 - 53'6", 29'6"

Class 85 - 56'6", 31'6"

Only the 81 and 85 share the same bogie centres

Andi

Guest jim s-w

Hi Gary

Do you mean bogie wheelbase?

classes 81, 85-90 10ft 9

classes 82-84 - 10ft.

Class 81 and 85 are indeed similar (far from identical) the other classes are nothing like (sorry AMJ)

Cheers

Jim

It's a nice thought AMJ and a very logical one, but apart from the wheelbase / length differences there are some very subtle ones between the shapes of the cab fronts and cab roof profiles.

I for one would love a decent AL3 or AL4, but they are very different beasts to the others! I've placed an order with Hattons for an early spec AL5 though, not because I 'need' one (no space for a layout really), but because I really fancy one as a 'mantlepeice model'. Hopefully, if enough folk do the same it may encourage Bachmann or one of the other manufacturers to have a go at the other classes, over a period of time.

Nidge ;)

Class 81 and 85 are indeed similar (far from identical) the other classes are nothing like (sorry AMJ)

Mind you, the 81 and the 85 where by far the most numerous and long lived of them so an 81 would make more commercial sense than any of the other three and would be the next AC electric I'd expect unless we get new versions of the 87 and 90.

• RMweb Gold

Andi, or some other clever person, Don't suppose you know the wheel base of the later AC electrics?

Regards

Gary

bogie wheelbase / bogie centres

Class 86/7 10'9" / 32'9"

I don't have the data for the 90 but the bogie will be the same as the 87.

Andi

I'd be very happy to see the 81 follow on from the 85 (quite a few livery options for the 81 although all are a variation of various shades of blue!) but I'd also be over the moon to see an original format Class 86/0 which had almost identical bogies to the 85 - and given Bachmann haven't been afraid to take on the Danes with a competing Class 47, with luck perhaps an 86 might be on the cards given the luke-warm response to the Heljan version.

An 86 with small yellow warning panels and a rake of early Mk2 coaches, drool...

Classes 81 and 85 together made up 65% of the first 100 A.C. electrics (E2001 excepted, of course!). The AL1/81 and AL5/85 bogies are basically identical, though the bracket on the bodyside is square on the AL1 and triangular (as per original AL6/86) on the AL5. Traditionally this part is moulded as part of the bogie rather than the body (and was painted black like the bogie). The original AL6 bogie is a close relative, though fitting Flexicoil suspension changed the appearance very noticeably.

• 5 weeks later...

Were there any external detail differences that appeared on the class 85s when some were converted to 85/1s or indeed before this? I've had a look around on the internet, and whilst I can find reference to changes in the internals (Germanium to silicon rectifiers) I cannot find whether this affected their external appearance significantly in any way?

Tantalisingly there are no expected delivery dates on the Bachmann website and the announced 85s are simply listed as 'on order'.

• RMweb Gold

About the only real external changes to the appearance of the 85s was the loss of the second pantograph and the gaining of the roof mounted air tanks. IIRC when the rectifiers were changed there was also a change made to the underframe equipment.

Andi

Thanks - the Bachmann product list makes reference to the single/twin pantograph versions, so these variants seem to be catered for. Given how many variants they manage of both the 08 and the 25, minor detail differences should pose no issue for the model I guess.

About the only real external changes to the appearance of the 85s was the loss of the second pantograph and the gaining of the roof mounted air tanks. IIRC when the rectifiers were changed there was also a change made to the underframe equipment.

Andi

Plus the headcodes were removed and plated over with the headlights.

Archived