Reading redevelopment

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of delays on the diverted FGW services causing delays to other services via Oxford and Banbury. The We got held at Aynho for over 30 minutes due to a failed FGW train in front of us.

Luckily it didn't affect our journey plans too much as the FGW service before the planned connection was over an hour late so we arrived on time into Newport!

Indeed, I was on site yesterday comissioning 6 new ticket machines and was thinking "there is NO way this will be finished in time".

Clearly I was wrong. The sense of space in places is quite awesome.

• RMweb Gold

Yes the new footbridge (which is what NR call it in some of their press etc releases - 'transfer deck' seems to be out of fashion now?) has an excellent sense of spaciousness which - fortunately - I think I managed to get in my pics and it was pleasing to see all the indicators working.  I did wonder abpout trying some of the barriers but as there were plenty of staff about I thought they might not enjoy me weaving my way to & fro (I have an FGW Gate Pass so they should have worked had I tried).

Below is another view - this one is from the south end (the previous 2 were at the north end) plus proof that the departure indicators were working.  Incidentally a couple of chaps were busily trying to remove overflows of grout on some of the floor tiles but it was fairly stubborn and thwe handover clean was well in progress.

What I do wonder about is what might happen to passenger flow and circulation if any retail units start appearing on the bridge (which I think might be the plan?).  At present it clearly makes an excellent circulating area and undoubtedly - even more so than the present footbridge - is likely to see groups of passengers congregating while awaiting platform changes pus it is far better sheltered from the weather than the platforms with the new canopies.  One to wait and see I think - and keep fingers crossed.  But, and I never thought I'd say this, this is really where the original Brunel building has had its day - either totally or in its present use because there is surely a need for a proper retail area as was so well incorporated into the 1989 scheme?

post-6859-0-33916200-1364599368_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-11968900-1364599462_thumb.jpg

Probably a question of degree.  I think the space could take a couple of small Costa Coffee type places with their own seating areas (there's one on the similar bridge at Leeds IIRC), but not counters facing onto what ought to be the circulation space which create queues and congestion. 

With regards to the new canopies - having waited under them in the rain a few times up to now (including on quite windy days) so far I haven't noticed any less protection from the elements than under the old canopies (apart from right next to the edge of the platform - where of course nobody should be anyway!).

Further to Mikes photos, from yesterday, here is a link to someone else's photos from Friday.

You can see a couple of shots of the demolition work taking place on the old footbridge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52834510@N00/

Cutting up of the footbridge seems to have gone on overnight, with at least the top sections of the span from platforms 8/9 to 10/11 having been removed by this morning.

It looks like the remains of the bridge will be gone by Monday.

Camera 2 tab 2 shows a handful of casual "observers" are present on the the top floor of the MSCP this morning.

Hopefully there'll be a few photos being posted online over the next couple of days.

• RMweb Gold

I might get over there later today although more likely my next visit won't be until tomorrow morning.  I took 180 photos yesterday in addition to c.50-60 on Thursday plus my record goes back to virtually the start of works as well.  One day it will all be history, probably - just like the pics I took prior to the 1965 resignalling and layout alterations.

• RMweb Gold

I might get over there later today although more likely my next visit won't be until tomorrow morning. I took 180 photos yesterday in addition to c.50-60 on Thursday plus my record goes back to virtually the start of works as well. One day it will all be history, probably - just like the pics I took prior to the 1965 resignalling and layout alterations.

... And I thought I went mad with taking photos.

You can never take too many. There's many a time I wish I had taken more

Once it's gone.......

With regards to the new canopies - having waited under them in the rain a few times up to now (including on quite windy days) so far I haven't noticed any less protection from the elements than under the old canopies (apart from right next to the edge of the platform - where of course nobody should be anyway!).

One thing that i find a little concerning is the fact that the platform stairs and escalators appear to not have glass screens fitted, as was shown in all renderings.

As such the openings from the transfer deck to the staircases are exposed to any howling winds and the worst weather could see rain blown inside. 

This has been discussed elsewhere and the thought was that the glass panels would be installed towards the end; but it's all a bit late in the day now.

So unless they are put in over this weekend, it looks like they've fallen victim to some cost cutting?

Here are some photos of the footbridge being hacked and chopped to bits on Easter Saturday.

No "big lift" here, just "smash it all too bits" !!!

Going back through the stream, there are views of work in progress to lift the track on the eastern station throat. 

Engineering trains and track machines are in evidence too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52834510@N00/8603177757/in/photostream/

• RMweb Gold

One thing that i find a little concerning is the fact that the platform stairs and escalators appear to not have glass screens fitted, as was shown in all renderings.

As such the openings from the transfer deck to the staircases are exposed to any howling winds and the worst weather could see rain blown inside. 

This has been discussed elsewhere and the thought was that the glass panels would be installed towards the end; but it's all a bit late in the day now.

So unless they are put in over this weekend, it looks like they've fallen victim to some cost cutting?

Here you go Ron - a couple more of mine - first one showing no side screen glass (Platform 12) and second an 'over the top of a barrier, point and hope for the best'  pic of the escalator dow to Platform 8 - the interesting rows of bolts there might mean something?

post-6859-0-88627200-1364724390_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-23092300-1364724422_thumb.jpg

Lots of work going on layout and signalling wise east of the station on Friday as there are (were) signals and components to recover plus the layout alterations although there was a little bit of one lot of contractors getting in the way of others.  Incidentally talking of 'cost saving'  I have wondered previously about certain aspects of the project and I asked the S&T characters about the cable route east of the station which had been installed in the 10 foot over Kennet Bridge.  They were sure it had been done that way to save short-term money but it overall it was costing more as the cable is now having to be properly rerouted and installed to correct standards.  Having heard one or two things a couple of years back about a talk given by the Project Manager to the IRSE I have wondered if shaving project costs has perhaps taken precedence over technical understanding (because he clearly lacked some in a very serious way on the signalling side) and decisions have been made contrary to technical advice - just a thought.

Anyway here's the assemblage of trains and cranes etc between the station and New Jcn as they were on Friday morning -

post-6859-0-71488400-1364724626_thumb.jpg

Here you go Ron - a couple more of mine - first one showing no side screen glass (Platform 12) and second an 'over the top of a barrier, point and hope for the best'  pic of the escalator dow to Platform 8 - the interesting rows of bolts there might mean something?

attachicon.gifIMGP1116.jpg

I've seen a comment that metalwork was being installed on the top of the staircase sidewalls, presumably for the fitting of the glass side screens.

That photo seems to bear that theory out.........maybe?

It's a bit late though, unless there's been a delay somewhere in the supply or construction process.

The Flickr photo stream I linked to above has had loads more additions from today (Sunday). Again, it's worth a look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52834510@N00/8606490225/in/photostream/

It has been suggested that the last section of the old footbridge will remain until next weekend's blockade as Platform 7's track is being used by engineers trains this weekend. the rest has now gone.

Apparently the old Platform 6 bay has gone too; having been filled in.

• RMweb Gold

I've seen a comment that metalwork was being installed on the top of the staircase sidewalls, presumably for the fitting of the glass side screens.

That photo seems to bear that theory out.........maybe?

It's a bit late though, unless there's been a delay somewhere in the supply or construction process.

The Flickr photo stream I linked to above has had loads more additions from today (Sunday). Again, it's worth a look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52834510@N00/8606490225/in/photostream/

It has been suggested that the last section of the old footbridge will remain until next weekend's blockade as Platform 7's track is being used by engineers trains this weekend. the rest has now gone.

Apparently the old Platform 6 bay has gone too; having been filled in.

There are all sorts of detail parts missing on the escalator side walls - including a hole right through the side wall above platform No.8 - but these appear to be restricted to the platforms which won't becoming into use on Tuesday (i.e 8/9 and 10/11) where there is a massive amount of demolition work, platform edge cutting back and other things still going on.  However on Platform 13 some of the surface paviors had been removed today - not sure why.

At the east end the Relief Lines slue and new track alignment appeared to be complete but there was still work going on in the vicinity of New Jcn and Kennet Bridge Jcn although preparatory digging out and track removal for the Main Lines slue was well advanced.  Presumably a lot will be happening tonight as I would think the S*T testers will need to be in tomorrow preparatory to opening for business on Tuesday on the new Relief Lines and platforms.  We noticed today that the new north side booking office was open too.  Plenty more pics today but a bit late to start delving through over 200 to sort out some of the most interesting or illustrative.

Hi Mike

The Northside Booking Office was commissioned on Thursday and opened at 06:00 on Friday. On Thursday we were mainly stocking the place up with money and ticket supplies etc. The ticket machines in the office were already in although the self-service machines were cashless. We filled them with floats on Thursday, including those on the Western Gateline (I still want to call it the Western Skyline...).

The Northside office will operate from 06:00 to 21:00 with the adjacent gateline running from 06:30 to 21:00. The hours for the main office remain unchanged.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

The Northside Booking Office was commissioned on Thursday and opened at 06:00 on Friday. On Thursday we were mainly stocking the place up with money and ticket supplies etc. The ticket machines in the office were already in although the self-service machines were cashless. We filled them with floats on Thursday, including those on the Western Gateline (I still want to call it the Western Skyline...).

The Northside office will operate from 06:00 to 21:00 with the adjacent gateline running from 06:30 to 21:00. The hours for the main office remain unchanged.

Does that mean that the northside exit will be closed after 21.00 - if so not at all clever for folk coming back from a late evening out and wishing to get into their car in the car park!

As far as glass screens by the escalators are concerned I noticed today that there are low screens on the level part coming off the deck area and just into the start of the gradient - and that's it.  Incidentally with today's wind direction it was blowing up the east side stairs/escalators and straight onto the footbridge circulating area making it fairly cold.

Lots of snagging going today with lots of tactile slabs removed on platforms due to open overnight plus the escalator we used yesterday on the south side had been put out of use with the maintenance access open at both top & bottom and a chap working on it.  Not so bad on the southside but it would be a right nuisance on the north if an escalator has to be taken out of use.

Building demolition on the old Up Main/Down Relief island appears to be complete but the east end bay still needs attention and I expect the platform work is not finished yet.  The Relief Lines loook quite good from the footbridge with a nice line through the Down Relief at the east end but the Up Relief is distinctly down market compared with its old incarnation as it follows reverse curves at each end of the platforms.  I haven't noticed any flange lubricators but I wouldn't mind betting they'll be arriving soon, as will a lot more noise from freights pulling off the east end curve!

The new Up Main has partially appeared but a lot of bottom ballasting was going on east of the station this afternoon although there is a train of track panels sitting out to the west -

post-6859-0-19662700-1364859748_thumb.jpg

Archived