West Highland coaching stock early 1980's

sixteen 12by 10s

• RMweb Premium

This is a personal favourite of mine and shows that not all coaches were SC prefixed...

40340668764_ef46ab40d9_b.jpg37085 waits at Glenfinnan for a Fort William bound train to clear the single line with a mixed passenger & freight 1415 Fort William to Mallaig on 24th February 1984 by Jjm2009, on Flickr

BCK 21246 with a Midland Region prefix behind Eastfield white striper 37085 with (I think) an SK and one grey and one black fuel tanker in tow.  Very modellable!!

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 11

This is a personal favourite of mine and shows that not all coaches were SC prefixed...

40340668764_ef46ab40d9_b.jpg37085 waits at Glenfinnan for a Fort William bound train to clear the single line with a mixed passenger & freight 1415 Fort William to Mallaig on 24th February 1984 by Jjm2009, on Flickr

BCK 21246 with a Midland Region prefix behind Eastfield white striper 37085 with (I think) an SK and one grey and one black fuel tanker in tow.  Very modellable!!

I'm not sure how many smoke ( = steam ) generators you'd need for a convincing effect ..........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great picture, it is probably the teatime service from Fort William waiting to cross the London bound train from Mallaig and reminds me of many a happy day spent trundling along the WHL. The coach is only 1 digit out with Bachmann's M21236: a shame really as a match would have meant 1 less coach to re-number!  

I know that I could legitimately include non SCR pre-fixed coaches on my WHL layout but I choose not to. I have the details of a number of non-SCR prefixed coaches working the WHL including quite a few BFK's which cascaded onto the line in the mid 80's. The picture below from the same Flickr site shows an Eastern region TSO at Mallaig for example.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jjm2009/8179330145/in/album-72157631990739197/

Any more photos showing coach numbers, preferably SCR pre-fixed, gratefully received.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've also just stubblled accross this thread whist looking for some numbers to put on my Heljan MK1's. They need to be Scottish MK1's with ScotRail branding but all I seem to be able to identify is coaches with Scottish numbers but cannot see if they've been branded! Anyway, another one to add to the list of SC prefix numbers off my Dad's Flickr:

SC14001https://www.flickr.com/photos/140157320@N04/24521129983/in/album-72157664319282660/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Annoyingly in N gauge we are at the moment well served by many decent Mk1 models from the Farish range but yet there is no BSO or BFK and these seemed to feature strongly in WHL sets at the time. I've got a BCK masquerading as a BSO at the moment but its a bodge I would rather not have had to do.

• RMweb Gold

I've also just stubblled accross this thread whist looking for some numbers to put on my Heljan MK1's. They need to be Scottish MK1's with ScotRail branding but all I seem to be able to identify is coaches with Scottish numbers but cannot see if they've been branded! Anyway, another one to add to the list of SC prefix numbers off my Dad's Flickr:

SC14001https://www.flickr.com/photos/140157320@N04/24521129983/in/album-72157664319282660/

I have precisely the same issue and I am pretty sure that there is no record of branding in existence. I have to confess to being a little more mellow about this and have randomly branded most of my coaches. I have been a little more studious with coach numbers and have managed to get my hands on several Platform 5 Coaching Stock books from the early 80's. Two of these include an allocation of SCR coaches by depot which has allowed me to create a list of Cowlairs based stock which probably worked the WHL at some stage. You can find P5 books on Ebay, these are likely to cost around £5 per book if you search well.

The 25 and 27 combo is the return working of the 10.44 Glasgow Dundee which was used as the Glasgow works test train for a number of years and regularly turned out some rare locos, notably the air braked 26/0's used exclusively on Lothian coal traffic. The 27 was along for the ride as back up should any problem arise with the loco under test.   

Edited by young37215

• RMweb Gold

The Scotrail branding came in about the time the regional prefixes were being abandoned in favour of depot allocations in 1984. An SC prefixed Mk1 coach with Scotrail branding might well have been a pretty short-lived item.

Edit: I have found one though BSK SC35060 in Sept 1984 with Scotrail branding, (with lower case 'r').

I would imagine the later ScotRail styling will be somewhat more difficult to find with SC prefixes on Mk1s.

Edited by stovepipe

I think i'll be using some modellers license and just matching numbers with coach types but using SC prefixes and ScotRail branding. I've a couple of 'combined volumes' to refer to for stock based at Inverness & Cowlairs.

I think there are a few shots of loco's on either a Perth or Dundee 'running in' turn with loco's that have come off works, here is rather clean 26005 & 26029 both putting in an appearance on the Perth job:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140157320@N04/25033006912/in/album-72157664742981331/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140157320@N04/24524397603/in/album-72157664742981331/

Cheers,

Al.

Edited by D6775

• RMweb Gold

This is an interesting one - ScotRail, WH terrier, and SC prefix. No number sadly.

22985096523_3f76e7c457_k.jpg37175GlenfinnanAway26-8-84 by Russell Watkins, on Flickr

An interesting one. From closer inspection it appears to be a TSO branded 'Scotrail' (with lower case r). I do not know when either Scotrail or ScotRail brandings first appeared although I believe that the lower case option was the first iteration. I shall do some digging to see how early I can find an example of 'Scotrail'.  

• RMweb Premium

I have been looking for the numbers for those rarely photographed Terrier fitted Mk1's for quite some time now.

I have a theory that the blue grey Terrier branded ones only lasted one season before either being repainted into or replaced by the green/cream ones.

• RMweb Gold

Yes that should have been Scotrail, but it got auto-corrcted. Scotrail was indeed first in 1984, then replaced by ScotRail from early 1985.

Thanks for the confirmation. What this has done is make clear that my use of Replicas ScotRail transfers is largely inappropriate for my layouts timeline of 1980 to 1985. I have decided to keep 1 rake of 'ScotRail' branded coaching stock but have removed the transfers from the remaining 4 rakes and everything has been renumbered with Cowlairs based, SCR rolling stock numbers from Railtec transfers. Just some weathering required to blend and seal the transfers in.

Thanks to everyone for their input and cooperation with this. I will post some pictures of the rolling stock once finished off.   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have found a 1986 picture of a Fort William to Glasgow service comprising 5 coaches where the rear 2 were from green and cream rake. Must have been chilly in them given it was April, the coaches were steam heat and the traction was ETH!

This is the first instance that I have seen of the green and cream coaches working anywhere other than the Mallaig extension. Does anyone have any other pictures or knowledge of similar workings?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127282573@N03/37871536136/in/album-72157671772648831/

Edited by young37215

Another thing I have not seen before is that first coach, the Mk2 BFK has both InterCity and ScotRail brandings on it. 

There was some that did before the 'Intercity' bit got dropped. Push-Pull Mk3s and Mk2s have certainly carried that. Most that I've seen haven't been brakes so perhaps that explains the spacing between them to fit around the doors

• 1 year later...

My memories of 1987//8/9 is of Mk 1s out of Fort William including the Green/ Cream steam set with an indifferent bunch of Terrier logo 37s more or less common user and pretty grubby.  I don't remember ETH Mk2s on ordinary service trains until the 156 sprinters replaced them, some ran as 3 car units.

By Contrast Inverness had 6 I believe 37/4s all in Large logo blue livery and all kept clean, at least the body was, obviously the bogies got grubby.   I believe there were 5 turns for the 6 locos so they were used pretty intensively.  Stock was electrically heated Mk2s and Mk 1 full brakes, 2 X brakes per far north trains as they divided at Georgemas Jct  1 X BG   1X BSO (T)(?)  There were also 3 X 37/0s in large logo on freight work, again kept clean.  Those were the days of everything loco hauled at Inverness, real pride in ScotRail. Even the surviving couple of 26s in grey were kept clean.   The only DMU was a trailer car in Green Cream as an "Observation Car" for the Green Cream Kyle Line set.   It ended with the Ness Bridge collapse as the dreaded class 156s came in while the bridge was down.