HEBRIDEAN ISLES FERRY

carl1967

Well,..... got the quote!biggrin.gif

Measured the layout room!biggrin.gif

So some serious thought being given to what happens next!blink.gif

Taken my present layout about as far as I can, so Carrick Marine just may well come to fruition!

No Caledonian McBrayne but the West Cornwall Steam Navigation Co!biggrin.gif

And all because of this thread!biggrin.gif

Looking really nice now Carl.

I was just wondering why you chose to add all that detail on the bow, and then the mast before tapering the stern? Now she's right side up again I can see what looks like side loading ramps. Can I ask how this ship actually operates as a RoRo? I assume there will be a stern gate as per a conventional ferry.

Thanks for the updates, I don't recall a topic enthusing the RM crowd as much as this in the time I've been a member - fantastic (and different) modelling.

Cheers,

Chris.

Looking really nice now Carl.

I was just wondering why you chose to add all that detail on the bow, and then the mast before tapering the stern? Now she's right side up again I can see what looks like side loading ramps. Can I ask how this ship actually operates as a RoRo? I assume there will be a stern gate as per a conventional ferry.

Thanks for the updates, I don't recall a topic enthusing the RM crowd as much as this in the time I've been a member - fantastic (and different) modelling.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi chris

I am very happy with the intrest in this posting from all in Rmweb.

I gess I was just putting it off, and I could go no therther with the build, so had to do it.

It??™s the only bit I have to saw by hand, all the rest is done with a jigsaw.

I did the detail on the bow becoes it was redy to be added, plus mike comented on the real bow picture, saying he was intrested in seeing how I did it on the model.

Heb only operates as a Ro Ro, the side rams are not used on the route she is on. They use them when she is in for overhaul.

In service she uses the stern ramp and the bow ramp, see pictures

Thanks

Carl

post-6809-12579253590115_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12579255460817_thumb.jpg

I admire your confidence in attacking the stern with that large saw.

This might have come up before, if so my apologies, but what adhesive do you use to stick the plastic to the MDF?

Bernard

hi Bernard

i use Grip Cyanoacrylate.

post-6809-12579268456235_thumb.jpg

This is quite simply one of the most amazing pieces of modelling I have ever seen. And to see the steady progress of the project through the photographs is truly wonderful.

Having travelled on most of the CalMac fleet, I certainly think it looks the part. At the end of the day, though, my heart will always belong to Isle of Arran (although I might be unable to resist the odd infidelity with Pioneer ... )

Just looking back up at the picture of the Holyhead ferry, did they REALLY paint the double arrow BR logo the wrong way round on the funnel? Or has some numpty in the dark room put the negative in the enlarger teh wrong way up, and failed to notice?

This is quite simply one of the most amazing pieces of modelling I have ever seen. And to see the steady progress of the project through the photographs is truly wonderful.

Having travelled on most of the CalMac fleet, I certainly think it looks the part. At the end of the day, though, my heart will always belong to Isle of Arran (although I might be unable to resist the odd infidelity with Pioneer ... )

Just looking back up at the picture of the Holyhead ferry, did they REALLY paint the double arrow BR logo the wrong way round on the funnel? Or has some numpty in the dark room put the negative in the enlarger teh wrong way up, and failed to notice?

hi

thanks for the commentsbiggrin.gif

I have plans for isle of Arran. As for the holyhead ferry, I had not even noticed it...lol, gess they must ofblink.gif

Looks like it, but in fact it's deliberate, so that the top arrow points towards the bow on both sides - see http://www.crwflags.com/FOTW/FLAGS/gb_brail.html#sea

Cheers

Alex

PS Carl this is a brilliant thread, watching the progress of this model is really inspiring.

Hi chris

Heb only operates as a Ro Ro, the side rams are not used on the route she is on. They use them when she is in for overhaul.

In service she uses the stern ramp and the bow ramp, see pictures

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the information and the photos - She's quite a flexible little ship!

Alex, and PGN, The only official use of the BR arrow reversed was sanctioned for their ferries. Alex, as you say it was so that the top of the arrow pointed forwards - To me it always looked wrong. Any other applications of it wrong way were just that - plain wrong.

Cheers,

Chris

Looking good Carl, can`t wait to see it with all the cars ect on deck..biggrin.gif ...I was down the Docks in Southampton yesterday and was thinking what size layout you would have to accomadate this monster..icon_wow.gif ...the linner scale wise.. 5-6 feet long ??or more ..?

Hi m8

Thanks for the task....lol

Did you know the Queen Mary 2 cost ??460 million to buildblink.gif

Now for the 4mm scale model of the beast!!, are you sitting down?

This is the model size for Queen Mary 2!!!

Height, ........................................................................944mm (37.2") 3.1ft ish

width, waterline,..........................................................540mm (22.8") 1.9ft ish

width, bridge wings,.....................................................590mm (23.4") 1.11ft ish

Length,.....................................................................4528mm (169.2") 14.10ft ish

I hope you have lots of room....lolwacko.gif blink.gif

Nooooooooooooo, not more pictures! No one's interested in this thread, it's obvious from the posts, so you might as well stop this now, Carl. No one wants to know. Really.

And I was just beginning to think the therapy was working too. How can you do this to me?

Incidentally, that picture of a ferry at Oban I mentioned a while ago was Glen Saxxon I think, must have been taken in the early 70s judging from the 27 in front of it (BR Blue and working headcode). I think it was withdrawn in '89. Do you know what route it was used on or anything about it? No, Dave, stop it. You don't want to know. Stop this madness now. Stop it I say.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Nooooooooooooo, not more pictures! No one's interested in this thread, it's obvious from the posts, so you might as well stop this now, Carl. No one wants to know. Really.

And I was just beginning to think the therapy was working too. How can you do this to me?

Incidentally, that picture of a ferry at Oban I mentioned a while ago was Glen Saxxon I think, must have been taken in the early 70s judging from the 27 in front of it (BR Blue and working headcode). I think it was withdrawn in '89. Do you know what route it was used on or anything about it? No, Dave, stop it. You don't want to know. Stop this madness now. Stop it I say.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

hi dave

keep up the therapy m8biggrin.gif i know i amtongue.gif

Glen Sannox did the Oban - Craignure route from 1973 to 1988.

Incidentally, that picture of a ferry at Oban I mentioned a while ago was Glen Saxxon I think, must have been taken in the early 70s judging from the 27 in front of it (BR Blue and working headcode). I think it was withdrawn in '89 (the ship that is). Do you know what route it was used on or anything about it? No, Dave, stop it. You don't want to know. Stop this madness now. Stop it I say.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

This is the model size for Queen Mary 2!!!

Height, ........................................................................944mm (37.2") 3.1ft ish

width, waterline,..........................................................540mm (22.8") 1.9ft ish

width, bridge wings,.....................................................590mm (23.4") 1.11ft ish

Length,.....................................................................4528mm (169.2") 14.10ft ish

If only... and how about having it docked next to the new Oasis of the Seas!!!

Back in the real world - I am amazed and in awe of your work and this just looks better and better every day. I've been inspired to finally start work on a Revell kit 'Hermann Marwede' and to have a go at some slight kitbashing with it. I long to be able to build something of this quality though - and from scratch too!

Thank you for sharing this - my only problem is that you make it look so easy and I just know if I tried it wouldn't look half as good!