Painting platform white lines

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

Simple...how does everyone do it? The obvious answer is a very steady hand, but I am not sure I have that. I could try masking, but i am afraid that when i peel off the masking tape it will take my platform surfacing with it....

Automotive trim/detailing tape comes in a very extensive range of colours, thicknesses and line styles so pop around to your local car shop for a look.

I have utilised the white (for platforms) as well as red and yellow for single & double lines on road surfaces.

If your base platform colour is white e.g.card, you can mask the width of the line with decorator's masking tape and spray/paint the platform surface. Then when you remove the tape there is no paint to pull off and you have a nice white edging.

It worked for me :D

• RMweb Premium

A Right-angled stiff bristled brush was stored in the old Ladies' Waiting Room at Bishopton for the annual white lining.

Whitewash/limewash was used, and I don't think that the brush was cleaned between uses as I seem to remember the bristles had the consistency of concrete spikes.

I suppose that they softened up with use.

The booking clerk decided which poor chap out of the three railmen/porters got this job. I imagine a particularly cruel insult or jibe decided the winner.

OT I know, but as a lad watching, I found it interesting.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I used low-tack masking tape that's blue in colour and is available from B&Q. It works fine but the important thing to remember is to remove it immediately you have painted to avoid it sticking too tightly and damaging the masked area.

• RMweb Premium

Steady hand is the way that I have done it, then going back and tidying up and little slips. It takes a bit of time to do but saves the hassle of masking.

A Right-angled stiff bristled brush was stored in the old Ladies' Waiting Room at Bishopton for the annual white lining.

Whitewash/limewash was used, and I don't think that the brush was cleaned between uses as I seem to remember the bristles had the consistency of concrete spikes.

I suppose that they softened up with use.

The booking clerk decided which poor chap out of the three railmen/porters got this job. I imagine a particularly cruel insult or jibe decided the winner.

OT I know, but as a lad watching, I found it interesting.

Regards

Ian

Or the most junior staff member got it to do! I did the 'annual' (more like once per decade judging by the state of the edges when I started) painting of the edges just up the line from Bishopton, at Paisley St. James, one year. A very messy job - anyone doing it on a model should remember to add all the drips on the ballast and sleeper ends under the platform edge! Also, the right-angled brush was set up for a right-handed person which is sensible enough, since the majority of people are right handed. But that meant that the job had to be done 'back to the traffic', which was a bit uncomfortable. And the brush bristles stayed rigid, which didn't make it any easier to get complete coverage.

This is something that I am going to tackle in the next week or so and looking at the real thing the white lines and especially the yellow ones are far from straight but wonky lines on a OO Gauge railway would look really bad so I have to lay off the beer prior to doing this and try my best...:blink:

Had another thought you may wish to try - a white pastel pencil (available from good art supply shops) and a steel rule. This will give the opportunity for you to dust off any mistakes but a quick coat of spray varnish will make it permanent.

Low tack, ie cheap, masking tape and dry brush with a course brush.

Up to about the 1970s and perhaps into the 1980s, they were applied using whitewash, which used to weather fairly quickly.sdc10067h.jpg

Off topic but sort of related, am I correct in thinking white lines were only added during / because of WW2, because of the blackout ?

A few people have said that this is a myth. However, A browse through 'Railway Wonders of the World', published in the 1930s, show no evidence of them on British stations.

Archived