new member seeks advise

Rob Hayes

Hi there im new to the forum but not new to model railways.

i have a question im not far away from dcc supplies and im tempted by the MR SOUNDGUY sounds. ive heard from some that there excellent, ive heard from others that there poor. im particularly interested in the 40 and 45 sounds.

from what i hear on youtube sounds fantastic to me but id like to hear what is good bad about them and has anyone got good footage of them in use.

im a howes fan i love there sounds but i also seek to add some diversity to my layout.

also if i dont like the sounds is it the same chip and can i have it reblown by howes olivias swd etc.

hi thanks for that, well in that case ill buy them as maybe put a video on youtube if im not happy ill get em reblown. seems unfair on the company to go by others opinons when there is no video for us to compare too.

and i like supporting local business if i can.

cheers rob

hi thanks for that, well in that case ill buy them as maybe put a video on youtube if im not happy ill get em reblown. seems unfair on the company to go by others opinons when there is no video for us to compare too.

and i like supporting local business if i can.

cheers rob

I have in the past had their class 33 and 52, I had them re programed by Howes after a day.

I heard their 108, Andy at DCC supplies set it up for me, I bought the Howes 108 instead - enough said.

You been warned!

If you are going down the ESU Loksound route then the only ones to buy from are SWD and Howes, -

send me a PM and I will explain.

CJ

• RMweb Gold

fair enough, give them a go. I know watching a loco on youtube cant be compared to hearing it in the flesh but i am surprised not more suppliers post videos up there. I know bryan has had a fair few chips to blow or reblow on the strength of my videos.

ok guys thanks fr the advise, but no one is saying "why" there so bad, what is the problem, like i said i heard someones Bachmann 40 with it andit sounded quite good to my ear. but is it he controlabillity of it. the sounds matcing the loco speed. volume. file quality. id love to hear a more detaile description and comparison, i already own howes hst x 2 , clas 37 refurbished, class 37 slug (this is awsome) in my model of 37901, the others are Bachmann class 37 x 2, class 20, class 47, and Hornby herring gull which i love aftered it took the all the stuff/speaker out the tender and moved it all the to loco.

I have in the past had their class 33 and 52, I had them re programed by Howes after a day.

I heard their 108, Andy at DCC supplies set it up for me, I bought the Howes 108 instead - enough said.

You been warned!

If you are going down the ESU Loksound route then the only ones to buy from are SWD and Howes, -

send me a PM and I will explain.

CJ

ok id like to pm you and explain but not sure how to yet im new to forums, and i sent you a friend request if that helps, cheers rob

Hi

If you like their sounds go for it. Youtube is a great place to start looking and it might be worth driving out there to "try before you buy" as you said they are local. As Jim said you can get it reblown at a later stage if you dont like it.

fair enough, give them a go. I know watching a loco on youtube cant be compared to hearing it in the flesh but i am surprised not more suppliers post videos up there. I know bryan has had a fair few chips to blow or reblow on the strength of my videos.

Jim be fair here I think you know why other suppliers dont post their work on here and it is more than likely the same reason I dont post my work anymore.

Cheers

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Jim be fair here I think you know why other suppliers dont post their work on here and it is more than likely the same reason I dont post my work anymore.

fair enough, i know bryan doesn't post directly on here, purely because he says it would take up too much of his time, time he uses to blow chips, do reblows, develop new sounds etc, but it would be nice if other manufacturors would come on the forum if only to hand out advice, how many times (as pointed out in another thread) has bryan helped out with other suppliers problems, even if its just advice on changing a few cv's or the like

must admit when bryan and i try to video the howes sounds we are like steven spielberg and george lucas (or is that matt lucas and david walliams), we try to get the vids as good as possible, hence one of the reasons why i bought a new dvd quality camcorder rather than using the mobile and bryan has lent me a tripod, however some of the outtake videos we have had in the past are quite funny, mainly down to my dirty track and poor point blade positioning, shame bryan hasn't incorporated a sound of a loco dropping into the ballast his chips, hmmmmm..........now how do i record that without getting the sack!!

I think you know why other suppliers dont post their work on here and it is more than likely the same reason I dont post my work anymore.

Toys and prams.

What is it with these sound topics? So often they're populated with snidey and bitchy comments from people who divide themselves into 'camps' which are absolutely nothing to do with me, this site or the way that it's managed but seem happy to fling it back this way based on mythical disenfranchisement. Such topic hijacking to further personal agendas is disrespectful to the OP and their question.

Toys and prams.

What is it with these sound topics? So often they're populated with snidey and bitchy comments from people who divide themselves into 'camps' which are absolutely nothing to do with me, this site or the way that it's managed but seem happy to fling it back this way based on mythical disenfranchisement. Such topic hijacking to further personal agendas is disrespectful to the OP and their question.

i totally agree i hope you dont mean me, im not argueing, and i embrase all the sound companyies i like diversity and choice and i like to try new things, also im gratefull for any attempt at sound, after a return to the hoby its come so much further than the 80s Hornby days i still love them but some people are never happy are they they always want more. its a fun hobby. lets leave bitchyness were it belongs on the streets and in back street bars.

It seems to me that there is no bitchiness in the dialogue above.

Forum is the ideal place to ask people for advice, none better BUT it is inevitable that people are a bit guarded when it comes to criticism.

There are a number of things that might make people so.....not the least is some regard for the feelings (and the business interests) of the project maker.

My own ESU LokSound decoders are running with either South West Digital projects or ones downloaded from the ESU website.

I have one (steam) loco that is currently running with a sound project from another source. I am not totally happy with it, but it's OK. In due course I might well re-blow it with something off the website, so that I can do things with the structure that can only be done on the computer. However I wouldn't openly criticise this project - other people might be quite happy with it and it would be unfair to "slag it off".

Therein lies the problem. When people ask for advice, how is one to reply constructively without crossing the line? It seems to me that it is fair comment to recount how a sound project was purchased but later over-written. This is a statement of fact. However when going into detail about why a project was not a success you do have to be fair.

I am about to build a new layout - I won't be using Peco track but will be making jig-built points and plain track. This doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the Peco stuff - I just don't want to use it for a number of reasons. Were anybody to ask me why, I would be happy to explain but it would be most unfair to "slag off" the Peco product.

Sorry if I have gone on a bit.

Chaz

well i agree no bichyness at all im a member on britmodeller "robvulcan" and were all friendly and supportive on there, i agree not to slag anyone off, i have howes 37/0 37/4, 37/9, Bachmann 37 and now a zimo 37, ill be getting hold of a mr sound guy one and an olivias one and any more i can find to try them all our with decent speakers. as i have rather alot of 37s it embarresing. i love tractors.

i must say the zimo i only installed last night and im mightyly impressed its VERY VERY GOOD! and possibley definatly the most realistic sounding loco i own and ill be buy many more of them i must say. top banana. get one youll love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't invest in RTR chips. Mr Soundguy has as good a reputation as many in that a great deal of early work was not very good but we have not had his name mentioned on here for ages AFAIK.

To try and strike a balance between making the OP unhappy and the OP getting good sounds ( for him ) and criticising or enhancing reputations I would suggest that anything that has been marketed direct with Mr Soundguy's name on it might be old stuff.

Both Howes and SWD have good reputations that they strive to maintain. Again, some of there recordings might not be the very best ( for you ).

There is no substitute for playing the sounds on your layout. I will repeat that in italics and bold there is no substitute for playing the sounds on your layout.

At the same time and this has been said umpteen times by me, sound is subjective. What sounds great to you sounds poisonous to another and vice versa.

So, in essence, you buy the sounds you want to buy, fit them and play them on your layout.

When you get bored with them or just don't like them any more or at all, send them away for a re-blow.

thanks guys well i really like what i got so far i just bought thier class 37 sound, and wow its actually the best 37 i have ever heard and the best to use too, i think its better than my howes and swd, or as good as at least. but i watched 37s fo years and this one is the best one the way it cycles through differnt speeds and revs. the horns are the best ive encountered too, its drivable like howes and has notch up like swd. im going up today to get another and get some other chips reblowe with thier 37 sound i love it so much.

If you have a lot of class 37's then I think you are doing the right thing by getting different sounds from different companies. I have 2 08's, one has howes sound and one has SWD, They are both good in their own ways but the most important thing for me is that they both sound different. Buy the sounds you like and don't worry what others think

Can not agree with you more. I likethe horns on the howes class 60 better than the hotrnby one, but i like other things about the Hornby 60 better than the howes one and Oliviers one. Same for 37. Like the 37 horns on the howes one but prefere the engine sounds on the SWd better than the howes etc etc.

But, having different sounds on the same class of model is far better than everything sounding the same!

To the op, i only ever had one Mr.Soundguy chip, a class 33.

Very poor sound quality and rubbish sound editiing. this was a few years ago.

Mr. Soundguy may have improved, but on my shopping list looking at a Mr.Soundguy chip would be below SWd, Howes, Olivers, digitrains and one or two other for now.

If i could not find a Mr.Soundguy video on utube to judge the sound quality or see it in the flesh, i would not consider buying myself at the moment.

• 10 months later...

hi guys its a long long overdue reply, i havent been online that much for many reasons, work and stuff. however here is my videos of mr soundguy class 37 blown on a esu lok 3.5 ,, and a mr soundguy class 40 blown on esu lok 3.5 hope you like em, i do,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcRzn7qV5_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T5O1yyFCIU&feature=related

Archived