Hullbridge TMD (Fictitious 80's era BR) UPDATE

froobyone

*Quick weekend update*

Engineering works have been sporadic in the last week, mainly due to the fact that I've been beta testing the new MMORPG "Rift" and jolly good it is too.

/Back on topic.

Originaly the overbridge was for road traffic and was built as such. Since being reclassified as a railway bridge, I thought it appropriate to add some strengthening trusses, for cosmetic and practical reasons. (It sagged with a loco on it). I also added some pipework underneath the bridge as I've seen this on the prototype and it just adds a little fussy detail, which I enjoy. Additionaly I added an overpipe carrying who knows what. Still awaiting weathering.

Both signals seen in the pics will be cut down and replaced by colour light heads, as soon as the budget allows it. I may even replace all the ground signals too, or try to make my own. We'll see.

This week saw the start of my experiments in grottifying the metal. Personally I think it looks too coarse and will remove a lot of it and try again with some nice ground pepper. A tip which I picked up on these very pages I think.

On to the photos, only two this week.

Overbridge2.jpg

47 on the outward line, after spending the afternoon awaiting its turn.

Overbridgetotherway.jpg

Only to be held at a red signal for ten minutes. Luckily for me.

That's all for now.

Thanks for reading.

Dan

Hello all,

Isn't that red shine through from headcodes white annoying. Mine do that too! poor design. Wonder if anyone has an easy fix?

Yes it is especially annoying in photos when I'm using a long exposure. I've never had a look in the nose of the 47, so I don't know how you deal with it. I'll take a look at some point and try and figure it out. I know some people have converted to LEDs as I believe the Hejian 47 is still using GOW bulbs. How archaic...

Right, what's been happening at Hullbridge?

Well, the nice builders have paid a visit to the depot and in between sitting around drinking tea and letching at the passing women (there was one and she was a fourty-seven year old spinster who lives with her cats), they managed to fit in some cladding work.

The old shed was getting a bit delapidated and damp and when I say damp, I mean one day the fitters came in to find a small family of carp living in one of the loco inspection pits. It was also playing up foreman Jefferys chest something chronic, so something had to be done.

Meanwhile, in the real world. It was my birthday today and as it transpired that I didn't get the 2 new Bachmann sheds I dreamt about, although, if I'm honest, I'd have grown an ulcer at the thought of the missus spending a hundred quid or thereabouts on some small buildings. :blink:

So instead, I reclad the shed in some corrugated iron sheeting I had for just such an emergency. Mysteriously, even though it was only put up today, it has aged considerably...

I also spent my birthday day off in a most fruitfull manner by installing all the hard standing concretey stuff inside the shed, plus some inner pipework, guttering and lighting.

I give to you, the new shed. In an unoficial naming ceremony, it was a agreed by all to call it Jefferys Shed. If you look at the older pics in the thread, I hope you think it's an improvement over the old design.

NewShedNight.jpg

New shed with the day turned off.

NewShedDay.jpg

New shed with the day turned on.

LivingitLarge.jpg

And I'm sorry, but a bunch of large logos together? Come on, you've got to snap that haven't you?

There's still some airbrushing to be done to tone down the sides and some fettling here and there, but I'm quite pleased with it.

That's all for now, still work to be done.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Well, I have sat and thought about what I'm going to say for at least two weeks. So I'm not posting on some spare of the moment /rage.

I am calm and I hope measured.

After reading a couple of threads on here, namely "Cliches on layouts" and "Model Pet Peeves". I've been left feeling, not only embarrassed but also shocked. Admitedly, the shock part comes only from my own naivety as to the nature of this forum.

I feel I'd better explain.

When I'd finished reading the Pet Peeves thread, I realised, with some horror, that the contributors might as well have been talking about my entire layout. :blink:

It rips my guts out to think that the thing that I love, actually causes people to be vexed. I wanted to share my work, because deep down, everyone wants to get a little pat on the back and for someone to say "Nice effort lad". But I realise now, that my lack of skill, time, patience and knowledge, is regarded with ire and that my skillset will never get that much wanted pat on the back.

To me, RMWeb was a place for people with varied abilities to come and share. I see plenty of layouts that are immeasurably better than my humble offerings, but I also see ones that, in my opinion, aren't. But it doesn't make me cross, nor does it make me judge the builder, nor sneer behind my monitor. I think, good effort lad and have written as such.

To me, the less skill/knowledge/time/patience people admit, the greater the contribution in their work. Because it's more of a challenge for them to achieve what they achieve.

As far as my own small contribution to this site goes. I'm embarassed that I ever thought to share it with the web. It pains me to think of folks sniggering at my 47 with the battery boxes on the wrong way round. They probably are. The truth is, I don't know if they are the wrong way round. I'd like to add that I don't really care, because it doesn't matter to me. But that will probably just engender even more ire from the ones who do care.

So the bottom line is this. I don't feel like I can share my work any more and that's that.

I don't blame the original thread starters, nor the contributers, people are entitled to feel what they feel and say it too. But for every action, there is a reaction and my reaction is to not look like a fool anymore.

I shall still use the site, I shall still contribute posts when I feel confident in whatever the subject matter is about, so I'm not throwing my dummy out and /ragequitting.

I also don't want people to rally to my aid. This is not what this post is about.

I always knew my stuff wasn't competition standard, but I never realised people were bothered by it.

I also didn't want to let my thread go stagnant, without giving the reasons why.

I thank you for your time and understanding.

Dan

Really sorry you feel like that Dan.

Your layout was well received and you had a very active thread with lots of contributions from some of the better known and respected posters on here. In a very short time.

Can't say I have seen any criticism of anything you had done.

There are indeed some very heavy handed opinionated people on here who post some extreme opinions on a whole range of subjects - but in any village / pub / office - it will ever be thus.

For what it is worth - IMHO a cliche is only that because it is a popular thing that over time many people have wanted to see or model. A bit like hating BMW 3 series cars - just because they are popular and you see them everywhere (because they are good) makes some people not rate them.

I hope you reconsider your reaction - I for one was enjoying your thread - and if people give up......... the rivet counter minority will win.

Have a look at my layout if you want to see skills way below your and many more cliches ......... if I am annoying the purist minority..........I quite like that thought - but they have been well mannered enough not to tell me in my thread.

Stuart

• RMweb Premium

Dan,

I'd like to echo Stuart's comment, in that I was sorry to read your post. Unfortunately I also understand it; much of the reason that I stopped modelling in P4 and went back to 00 was the number of rivet spotters in the P4 community who seemed to get at least as much out of critisising other people's work as they did from producing anything themselves.

As far as I am concerned you have produced a perfectly respectable layout, and a layout thread which I have greatly enjoyed reading (though I am ashamed that I have not yet posted any replies...). Did you enjoy doing it? Are you pleased with the results (you should be)? Are you pleased with the photos (you should be)? These are the things which should matter. If other people choose to get irritated because your battery boxes are on the wrong way round, that is their problem and not yours.

Really hope you will reconsider.

Yours,

George

Hi Dan

I was saddened to read your post. When I saw the various threads start up I suspected this kind of thing might be the eventual fall-out. I chose not to bother reading them because of this, as I came to RMWeb for a positive experience and fun, and have no time for people who just want to criticise others. I don't think it's exclusive to the forums - I went to a show over the weekend, and there were all sorts from the 'purists' who wanted you to marvel at their work, to the really chatty helpful ones giving away their 'secrets' on how it was done.

As the saying 'Life is a journey not a destination' and the same is true of modeling - my wife often asks when will it be 'finished'. I hope you carry on modeling and doing what you want, and certainly I'd love to see updates.

Goodness knows what people think about me going on about my sheep all the time - don't answer that one (mainly because I will ignore the answer and carry on ;-))

Cheers

Phil

Dan,

You are going through what I went through when I read the mentioned threads...

I have a retaining wall, depot.... etc... I too thought all I want to do is post some pictures and write a bit about MY layout. I am happy to take constructivce advice and thankfully it has been given and like you say, its also nice to get a pat on the back when you do a good job with something, it gives you the boost to keep going.

For me, my model railway is an escape from the real world, its my interpretation of the railways and thats it. I'm sure there are more modellers out there with that take on it than there are those who model everything exact.

I am not in anyway criticisng those that have that skill/time/knowledge because i think their work is amazing, I just know my limits.

I fell into the trap of thinking what would those on RMweb think if I did this.. and felt like I had to give updates to justify my decisions. Now I think I'll show people what I'm doing, if that gives people ideas then great and if it makes people roll around on the floor laughing saying "That is so wrong" then thats great too. Because I'm sure those kind of people hunt around the thread looking for such content to make them feel a whole lot better about themselves. Guess what, I even put a bus on a bridge because I realised that was missing from my layout.

Don't let the bu$$ers get you down, Life is too short, I know because I've knocked on enough doors bringing the bad news..

Continue with your updates, there are a lot of silent readers on here who I'm sure really appreciate it.

Sorry, went on a bit there but dont lose the sight of what the hobby means to you. Not other people.

Happy modelling

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dan, this is the first viewing of your layout and I'm well impressed :D . As you can see from the replies there are far more people who appreciate your work than don't. I won't replicate all the comments written above because thay say it all. I have found that we all have our own standards and what's good enough for you at any given moment in time is what counts. I have models I created 20 odd years ago that I could easily pull to pieces in criticism or I can get on with enjoying them as milestones in the development of my skills, guess which route I choose? Keep on enjoying YOUR hobby and hopefully we will as well. Phil

Dan, your layout and fantastic atmospheric photos accompanied as they are by excellent narration is just too good to be put on hold by comments that are quite probably nothing at all to do with your layout after all. You have to admit, that those reading your excellent thread and actually taking the time to comment have done so with nothing but praise for your sterling efforts.

There will always be rivet counters, there will always be people who have to have their 5p worth, there will always be the "experts", but they will always be found everywhere you look. Your layout is a product of your skill, and imagination, and I, like many others will watch and learn from your efforts. Please reconsider your position, be strong and keep up your good works.

Guest Dave.C

To me, RMWeb was a place for people with varied abilities to come and share. I see plenty of layouts that are immeasurably better than my humble offerings, but I also see ones that, in my opinion, aren't. But it doesn't make me cross, nor does it make me judge the builder, nor sneer behind my monitor. I think, good effort lad and have written as such.

Totally agree Dan

As with the others, really sorry to hear you feel like this.

I for one have kept coming back to this thread because I really do like your layout, and it's given me a number of ideas to use on the small layout I intend to start work on soon.

I stopped reading anything other than the layout topics recently, as I have got tired of people on this site complaining about anything and everything they can. The Product Forums and General Discussion Forum are now no go areas for me, as I find them way too irritating to bare.

In my opinion, topics like the Pet Peeves thread simply ruin this forum, and the sheer amount of whinging about products that haven't been released yet is quite incredible (Dapol LMS Twins for example).

Sadly, these kind of topics seem to be getting more and more common, and I truly appreciate how that can hurt your confidence, as it has done the same to me, I fully intend not to share my layout on RMWeb, as no doubt the elitist members will descend upon it and pick it apart.

All I can say is, thank you for sharing your layout. Some of us on here did appreciate it. I hope that your experience doesn't put you off railway modelling for good, as you clearly have a talent for it (no matter what other people may say), and if you enjoy it your way, then that's good enough for most people.

(I know you didn't want people to rally to you, but that's almost bound to happen. Hopefully this will come to the attention of the moderators and bring some change to the board.)

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully this will come to the attention of the moderators and bring some change to the board.

I totally second that; I haven't been on here long but have already identified the "no-go" areas where the whingers live...sad to see the bullies ousting the real talent - mind you, makes me want to keep my WR signals on my LMR layout just to taunt them !!

Froo, there's patently more plusses than (percieved) minuses on your layout and I only deal in positives.

Your writing style and good humour is a breath of fresh air and together with some cracking modelling made your layout thread one of only a small number I have followed with any regularity. If it will make any difference, I'll buy your Heljan 47 some flowers and some low fat chocolates as an apology.

C6T.

I, like I'm sure many silent folk do, look at this thread and hope to aspire to the standards of modelling and photography that you have achieved. Also some excellent traction, well weathered and staged regardless of incorrect fitment of 3rd lynch snuffling pins to the grieger covers ;)

Keep on posting and updating us I say.

Guy

Evenin Dan,

I personally second wats been said leave the rivet counters to it they go to far and modelling is a hobby an is sopost to be fun were as many members just like to come on and say thats wrong you didn't do that right theres no place for them and to be honest i think your layout and stock are superb you've done a great job there sir please don't be put of by the small minority as the majority on here are decent blokes an i'm sure like me they'd like to see more pics kida;)

Cheers, Rich.

Hi there, I just wanted to say don't listen to those threads, I haven't read them but belive they could be equally talking about my effort. I came on here to get the "Pat on the Back" you mentioned and don't listien to needless critisism. my layout is a practice and a place to hone my skills, I ask avice on here, Neither would I know which way round battery boxes fit on a class47 or any other class, but it is my layout and if it looks right to me then it is right. Don't let "Rivet Counters" spoil your experiance I belive you layout to be better than mine and I get inspired by Layouts on here including yours. Keep up the good work and Keep posting, Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dan, thought I might add a little amusement to this debate, as I mentioned in my earlier post, this is supposed to be fun-so what's wrong with this photo

post-10896-0-99390100-1300283350_thumb.jpg

Yes you've guessed it, the 47 is far too clean especially for me! Oh and I seem to have built a retaining wall :rolleyes: . But seriously what I am saying is really 'it's my railway and I'll run what pleases me and most modellers would agree. Others are welcome to their opinions and some critism (constructive) can be very helpful. However , being tactful never hurt anybody. I often criticise my own work and can rivet count for England but in the end I choose what details I change, what scenery I include, etc. The 47 in the pic is an example-allegedly the fuel tank gauge is in the wrong place, fine if you want to change it but chose not to. Bachmann have never added the footsteps hanging from the bufferbeam valance, I chose to fit them to mine and on very careful examination the numbers are slightly in the wrong position, this only came to light when I tried to put 'Ds' in front of them yesterday! I won't be fitting Ds now and I don't really care cos I'm still having fun (a photo of 1764 without Ds bears this out). My message as usual is have fun and enjoy growing with YOUR hobby. By the way I don't run PO wagons with the wrong period locos (not while anybody's looking anyway B) ). I like others would like to enjoy the expansion of your modelling as much as I enjoy my own. Yours knowingly in error Phil.

DAN.....Like i said in an earlier post i think you layout is right down my street and i like the retaining wall........ they do exist in 'real life' obviously complainers have no grip on reality. sod em and keep posting pics as i need all the insperation i can get. cheers owen.

Let us keep this civilised folks. The two threads in particular that seem to have irked some of you were started (I believe) in good faith by the respective OPs as what they saw as becoming repetative or commonly plain wrong on various layouts as a pointer perhaps for new layout builders.

That's not to say though that all the posts in those particular threads have displayed much forethought, the one about using proprietary buildings and depot kit in particular smacks of a holier than thou attitude. I've seen some absolute mingers on the exhibition circuit but politeness dictates, if I have nothing nice to say...etc.

The crux of the matter is Dan has taken some of these comments to heart and that is not good. I think Dan's mindset was starting to show in his "It's not you..." thread.

Dan mate, were not building the Large Hadron Collider here. Do that thing you do so well and lets have some more Hullbridge action.

C6T.

Hi Dan, I was enjoying reading your thread and looking at the great pictures here, and then I came across your post about the "pet peeves" & "cliches" threads, I am a bit saddened to hear that these threads have made you shy away from showing us more of your great work that you rightly have a reason to be very proud off, I remember glancing through the cliches thread and thinking to myself "oh deary me, some of these comments will really insult and hurt the people who these snidey comments were being aimed at".

Some of the posters who contributed to the damaging & negative posts on the two tedious threads should really sit back and think before typing, I would like to see "THEIR" layouts without cliches !!! or how they built "THEIR" layout without any pet peeves.

As a born and bred proud Lancastrian I'm telling you now you "Babycham Swigging Long Kneck" just read through their posts one more time. then take a good look at you layout and just say under your breadth "B@ll@cks too 'em", "I built this top layout", tut tut "I thought you Yorkshire men were tough" no wonder we beat you in the Roses wink.gif

Best regards & happy modelling

Craig.

Hi Dan

Like you, I've waited a couple of days for my temper to subside on this - MY biggest "Pet Peeve" is that a board such as this even has a section for "Pet Peeves" where all the pillocks can air their pointy headed little views safely, as if under some form of "Parlianmentary Privelege"

As I've said before in the TMD thread, you built your layout to suit you, to your standards (and made a bl**dy good job of it too if you ask me)..Until you saw that pillock thread, you were quite happy with the results you got and that's the way it should have been. You made it for you, to your standards and were happy with the results, That's what it was made to do, you didn't build it to suit anybody else and if others don't like it then that's their bad luck, no skin off your (or their), noses. It'd be a pretty boring old world and hobby of we all liked the same things in layouts and scenery

I'll be posting something in the layouts thread on my own humble effort sometime in the near future and I'll bet there's going to be screams from the pillocks about my large arrow blue and sector liveried class 25's - they're in those liveries cos I like them that way and blow them if they scream - they're my locos on my railway and I'll peint them up/run the railway any way I please ! There'll also be more screams when they see that apart from snowploughs, there's nothing hanging from the buffer beams - so the couplings (bogie mounted Kadees at present) can swing without getting tangled in pipery hanging off the buffer beams, plus I can't be bothered fitting things that are only going to get broken off again anyway !

Nil illegitemi carborandum would be a good motto round here, having said that, as a layout owner, the "cliches" and "pet peeves" threads are places I'll never look at again on this board, I've got way better things to do than bore myself reading pointy headed little comments from pillocks who ought to know better !

Best

Matthew

Archived