Hullbridge TMD (Fictitious 80's era BR) UPDATE

froobyone

Hello again

It's nice to be back and even nicer to see how much RMweb has grown.

The inspiration held in these pages is quite simply priceless. Of course, when you're as inept as me, the great work shown on here can oft result in one thinking, "well, I might as well pack it in right now". I won't of course, I'll just keep trying to improve until I can say to myself, yeah, that's almost as good as an RMweb layout, if I close one eye and squint.

So, on to my little diorama. I've talked about it before on the original site, but I'll try and bring it up to date here.

Hullbridge is a fictitious TMD based somewhere northern enough that the men aren't drinking babychams, but not that far north that it takes you three attempts to realise they are saying "give us yer wallet". So somewhere around South Yorkshire then. The era is early 1980's, for a few reasons.

One, I was slimmer and had more hair (I was 10 in 1980)

Two, my mother made me wear a blue kagool whenever we went to look at trains which, I'm almost certain, is why we are ridiculed by the mass media. It was my fault. (The national health galsses probaby didn't help much either). So now I'm all grown up, I want to watch Large Logo things trundle by, wearing a nice casual sweater, maybe even one from Marks and Sparks.

Three, I love Deltics, HST's and Large Logo, sadly the three only shared metals for a very short time. I'll allow myself some artistic licence, after all, it's my railway.

Hullbridge itself, is a small mining town. The local shed maintains and deploys locos for services pertaining to that industry. It is served by a single line, that also doubles as a diversion route (obviously, *cough*) from the ECML and the WCML (just in case I want to run a 50).

I didn't get much done the first time around, due to me working away from home a lot of the time and it has been sat stagnent for some time. I made the decision to move it from the smaller box room, into the larger second bedroom and did so last night. I ended up covered in swearing and dust. Oh and I managed to put my back out too, which was nice.

Anyway, first thing I wanted to check was if the lighting still worked and low and behold, it did. The next few days will be spent drilling and wiring the rest of the lighting. I'm making a change to trackwork too. As is stands now, we have a double line running at the back of the board, which took some damage during the move (it was when I was covered in swearing), so I'm going to remodel it with a large clichéd retaining wall, with a clichéd tunnel, leading out to oblivion. I shall not however, be adding a church wedding, or a car accident. (I only have three cars and they are all Capris, what's the chances of three Capris hitting each other. Oh actualy, quite a good chance..)

Here are some photos post move.

Here we see a couple of Choppers feeding.

H-bombs.jpg

Followed by a Tractor

Tractors.jpg

Here's the other end, where we find Brian Morrison and a couple of Gronks catching 40 winks.

Stablingpoint.jpg

I don't know how they can sleep, with that Gargoyle staring at them... Ooooo, is that Deltic mummy?

StablingPoint2.jpg

After sneaking out of the house at 1am, (I'm 10 remember) and managing, somehow, to get in a hot air balloon, I snapped this pic of the depot. Frankly, I'm not sure how I'm getting down again, as I was playing with the sand and it all fell through the basket..

Nightshot.jpg

I figured out how to get down, unfortunately, I came down right in the middle of the depot. I managed to grab a quick snap before the Transport police arrived. I'm writing this from Strangeways whist on remand, for some reason, they think I'm a terrorist.

WideShot.jpg

That's all for now, will update when I get out, I mean when I get some more work done on it.

Fair thee well.

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

I've managed to get some work done on the diorama, including installing and wiring the rest of the lighting in the stabling area and also wiring both boards together. I built it with portability in mind, so the two boards are seperate entities. For the first time, I was able to move a loco from the fuelling point to the stabling point. Nice.

I have decided that, to add a little more togographical interest, there will be some low relief housing on the level above. I know it's over used, but I'd rather be looking at houses than cows.

Tomorrow should see the last yard lights wired in and hopefully the rest of roads into the shed wired.

Meanhile, here's the latest photos.

Stabling5.jpg

Stabling4.jpg

Class37Stabled.jpg

Stabling3.jpg

PanoramicLow.jpg

LowShot.jpg

GroupShot.jpg

Say what you like about the Heljian Tubby Duff, it sure gives me a warm feeling inside as it trundles by.

47847 on its way to the fuelling point.

Class47Leaving.jpg

I've included the original track plan as requested, although it is not accurate now. I did it when I was using Code 100 rail and after I decided to go Code 75, the issue of cost raised its ugly head. So it got reigned in a little.

hullbridge-signals.jpg

Hopefully will have an update soon.

Regards

Wotcha froo.

Layout's a corker, nice write-up, enjoyed that!

You can though quite readily justify a 50 running without the excuse of WCML diversions. During the Cl.50 refurbishment programme of the '80s BR would often diagram locos to work between the WR and the east (and back) to get them to and from Doncaster.

NE/SW trains were popular for this. Post overhaul test runs would also see (ex)Hoovers anywhere between Newcastle and Peterborough (which is my justification on Peterborough City).

HTH, C6T.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

UPDATE

Well, I managed to finish off the track wiring yesterday. All lines are now live. Having a little problem with the double slip, it's ok set one way, but when I set the points to a different route, I get loco hang. I'll need to have a good look at the blade contacts I think.

I also managed to fit and wire the rest of the yard lights. It sure looks nice in the dark.

Most of the retaining walls are now in place and just require painting/weathering. The "exit" tunnel still requires a roof and the top level modelling has yet to begin. Above the shed I plan to have some token countryside, probably just a small incline with shrubs and grass, oh and as a concesion to my girlfriend, a goat or two. (It's best to keep them happy, then you don't get it in the neck for spending three whole nights playing trains). The side above the stabling point will be a single street with some terraced houses. Simple, but they are only there to block the sitelines to the room wall behind.

Here are some updated pics.

The first overall photo, taken from high above the shed.

Overall.jpg

This was taken from the shed roof.

Shedroof.jpg

A couple of weary 20's make their way home in dark...

Returning20s.jpg

20's at rest.

20s.jpg

Sometimes, Hullbridge TMD is used to store unserviceable stock, until it can be moved to a more suitable location. Here we see a damaged HAA arriving behind the one of the yards shunters.

08withHAA.jpg

The second yard shunter, on secondment, is repositioning the HAA.

Shunting1.jpg

The HAA is placed in a storage siding.

Shunted.jpg

Another view of the shed area, still awaiting ballasting and painting. *sigh* A class 50, stopping over before picking up a Leeds-Plymouth (Thanks Class six) gets some attention.

Shed.jpg

and finally, after some urban exploration, one plucky photographer snaps a photo through the factory window, before legging it away from the security guard.

InsideFactory.jpg

That's all for now. I'll start the last of the ballasting tonight hopefully. Well not hopefully, I'm not looking forward to it one tiny bit...

Regards

We want to know more about the goats.

Hmm, on second thoughts...

The walls and enclosed space remind me a bit of Sheffield - where they stable the units by the tunnels at the south end.

I've a photo of a 50 at Sheffield on 18 June 83, on a service train, the 2047 Sheffield-Bristol according to my notes, which shows the bit I mean:

post-6971-0-65292900-1296129154_thumb.jpg

Hi, thanks for the flattery :D

Thanks for the 50 pic EastWest. I see what you mean.

To answer the questions. The rails were handpainted with Railmatch rust, then once ballasted, they were airbrushed with a different coats of Dirt, Brown and Black.

The yard and street lights were from ebay. There was a chap who made them to order I think, but I looked the other day to see if he was still doing them and I couldn't find a listing. It's a pity because they are really nicely made. Luckily I've got three left to finish the layout.

The method I used for photographing the layout was to stop the aperture down to f22 and up the exposure time to 30 secs@100 iso. I'm using the 18-55mm standard Canon lens. The long exposure and tight aperture means I get a lot of the scene in focus. It also helps that I'm shooting it in the dark, so it's not over exposing on the the trains, but it just burning out slightly on the lights. Which is how it looks if I take a real night shot. The camera I use has "live view" (Canon 60D) and that is really usefull, you can zoom right in on the screen and get pinpoint focus.

No images today, as I've haven't managed to get any work done. I had a job come in yesterday and was working on it till late last night. Hopefully will get a chance this afternoon to finish the works yard next to the stabling point.

Thanks again.

Regards

Hi all.

Well, yesterday, I managed to steel myself and finish the ballasting on the remaining track. It's not good for the back/shoulder/neck/girlfriend. But if it's not worth suffering for, then it's not worth doing at all. As I'm a glutten for punishment, after it had dried, I then tortured myself by hand painting the rail sides and, in usual Froobyone style, I realised it would have much better to have painted them BEFORE I ballasted :blink:

Anyway, much more back pain later, it was done.

Today I brought out the mini compressor and airbrushed the track bed and toned down the rail sides. While I was at it, I painted the retaining wall at the depot end. Even though I wore a breathing mask, I'm still pretty sure I inhaled enough death to take 20 years off my life. So I'll probably be dead by next thursday.

I also managed to start on the portacabin area next to the stabling area. Added an internal light and streetlight outside. Car park is laid and it just needs the ground cover adding. It's simple, but I like it. Cabin still needs repainting.

I've added some internal lighting to the main shed too, but in doing so, I lost one of the buffer stop lights in the fuelling area. Not even sure how, but it's as dead as an Elvis. *sigh*

Here's the pics.

Cabin area and 20's awaiting duty.

WideWorks.jpg

Tighter shot on the cabin.

PortaCabin.jpg

Under the bridge.

UnderBridge.jpg

Don't know why, but I just like this shot. Local Graffiti artist, brazen though they are, were caught in the act and left their "burner" unfinished. Something tells me, they'll be back.

Sleepinig37.jpg

Overall shot of the shed area.

Group.jpg

Ark Royal waits before heading back to Sheffield for the 6:30 Sheffield-Bath.

50AwaitingTurn.jpg

A 47 heads out for duty.

47LeavesforLeeds.jpg

Full layout left of the bridge.

OverallShotLeft.jpg

Full layout right of the bridge.

OverallShotRight.jpg

That's all for now. I'll start on the backscene when the air becomes breathable again in the spare bedroom.

Fair the well

heyup

areeee reason i thought it was f8 was the near tracks where out of focus slightly

but now you say its f22 on a kit lens i can see why:)

30 seconds gives the lights a nice star twinkle:)

as for death well its worth a bit of death;)

my canon shooter is a little older ahha i'd like a 60d tho :)

keep up the good work this is my fav layout on the whole forum thanks for showing :)

cheers

Russ

Hi all.

I managed to finish off a few outstanding jobs, such as the greenery on the right baseboard and repainting the Portacabin. (It still needs tidying up)

I realised that my penchant for night scenes had made me only upload night shots and that not everything is properly visible. I think it was also partly due to wanting to hide the bits that weren't finished.

Anyway, I've taken three new photos of the layout with the lights on (gasp).

For your perusal and, I hope, enjoyment.

First up, is a full length shot. Please ignore the chaos in the rest of the room. Most of that stuff should be, in fact, in the other room by now. But try as I might, I can't bring myself to do it while there are jobs to do at Hullbridge. Please also ignore the rather out of scale nitro helicopter :blink:

DaylightAll.jpg

Next up we have the view north, from the bridge, towards the shed.

DaylightLeft.jpg

And finally the view south towards the stabling point.

DaylightRight.jpg

I'm still undecided on what to do with the higher level area. I'll seek inspiration over the next few days.

Thanks for reading.

Frooby

I'm still undecided on what to do with the higher level area. I'll seek inspiration over the next few days.

Bunch of scallies pushing a shopping trolley over the parapet?

Photographer in anorak?

Delivery low-loader with railway wheels/axles? (Or is it just a fuelling point?)

Low-loader with 08 shunter being carted off for scrap?

Hi, thanks for the flattery :D

The yard and street lights were from ebay. There was a chap who made them to order I think, but I looked the other day to see if he was still doing them and I couldn't find a listing. It's a pity because they are really nicely made. Luckily I've got three left to finish the layout.

Thanks again.

Regards

I'm not sure but could this be the fella? Nothing to do with me, but he has some cheap lighting.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/scalemodelsfortrains/m.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A4341&rt=nc&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14.l1514

Great layout, I'll pop in from time too time.

Regards,

Mark

Hi all, just a quick update as the sun shone briefly and added some natural light for the first time. Sadly, it diosn't shine directly on the layout, but we get some radiosity off the walls. So I popped the camera on the tripod and snapped some shots.

@Mark37, I've just been throught my paypal too see who I got the lights off and it was a seller called bramwood Bramwood There isn't anything for sale at the moment, I've just checked. But it looks like he's still trading.

@eastwestdivide, nice ideas, although I try to keep the thugs away and what are you saying about my Gronks? :P

Right, here's the pics.

Class 37 Idling.

DayClass37.jpg

The Roaring 20's

DayClass20s.jpg

Same train, different angle

DayClass20s2.jpg

The depot throat.

DayTrackwork.jpg

Just the shed. Aww, remember when that phrase didn't mean an ugly EMD.

DayShed.jpg

A 47 awaits permission to move...

DayClass47.jpg

...before shutting down for the day.

DayStabled.jpg

That's all for now.

Thanks for reading.

Frooby.

Archived