Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

On 15/07/2023 at 16:57, meanach said:

I’ve been missing seeing posts on this layout and now suddenly we are spoilt . Great photos as usual and boy have you been productive! The 101 looks fantastic.

Is 20048 modelled from the newest tooling ? I’ve been wondering if there is any space for a better speaker in the new tool 20s . In the old ones I cut the nose of the chassis off and stuck a Rail Express exclusive or Zimo dumbo speaker sat vertically . I bet the new lighting circuit will curtail this mod. I’ve not seen a ‘naked’ one yet ! Ian 

Thanks Ian. 

Yes, 20048 is the newest tooling. I think there is space for a better speaker. With so many other projects on the go recently, I haven't looked into it yet but I think it would definitely be worth a look.

I squeezed a 20 x 40 mm speaker into the original version after a bit of hacking around with the chassis and the sound wasn't too bad. The new one is a lot better but I think there is still room for improvement and more bass in particular.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Thanks Ian. 

Yes, 20048 is the newest tooling. I think there is space for a better speaker. With so many other projects on the go recently, I haven't looked into it yet but I think it would definitely be worth a look.

I squeezed a 20 x 40 mm speaker into the original version after a bit of hacking around with the chassis and the sound wasn't too bad. The new one is a lot better but I think there is still room for improvement and more bass in particular.

Cheers

Dave

If it helps I have fitted both of these speakers in the same new tooling 20 , I have however soldered them to the contacts on the board under the original speaker , next time I have the body off I'll get some pics

25X20X08-3W.jpg

28X18X09-2W.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes that’s very helpful thanks ! Any pics of it with the body off would be very useful. Class 20s are one of those locos that if it’s all treble then ear fatigue ensues! 

20048 was a real Toton wagon as I was growing up in Derby.  It seemed to be on every passenger service allocated for 20s between 89-92. I kind of have a soft spot for it now tho! 

Hi Dave, really enjoyed reading your latest update. Your latest 101 additions look superb.

I quite like the west hill magnet couplers I have used a few on my Bachmann MK2s it gives a good close coupling.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great stuff there. I’m a little gutted that so many images were lost in the forum outage, as it would have been great to see how the layout developed. The period modelled is my favourite with the new liveries coming on stream with plenty of banger blue still out there. Love it!

Tim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Thanks Moley! 

The layout is housed in a room above our garage. Fortunately, a house came with the garage, so we have somewhere to live too!

I had the room insulated and fitted with as many Velux windows as possible (4 modest-sized ones + 2 small pre-existing ones). I also had the southwest facing end window enlarged as much as possible. The natural light is still more limited than I would like it to be, so I had 15 x LED lights installed in the ceiling. These are "daylight" bulbs, only 4W each too, so they don't consume much power, even with 15 of them.  These dim as well, which means I can run the layout in semi-darkness too, which shows up the layout lighting nicely.

Here are a couple of not very good photos of the layout room...

Railwayroom6.jpg.ac8d98d159ddcc99f9e08dda219e3f8c.jpg

Railwayroom7.jpg.87b1917d6d5443f1dc6b0d1b0b62de39.jpg

The new Veluxes have blinds, but the old ones don't. I've recently noticed that the cab on one power car on my blue-grey HST has become very faded, so I think I will need to block up the offending window somehow.

Hope that gives you an insight into what the layout really looks like!

Cheers

Dave

I was able to buy blinds for my Velux’s as separate accessories.  These are invaluable in keeping the sun off of the layout

• Like 1

2 hours ago, young37215 said:

I was able to buy blinds for my Velux’s as separate accessories.  These are invaluable in keeping the sun off of the layout

Yes, it's the two old ones that are the problem. They are of a very old type, not even sure what make. I might be able to get a blind to fit over the opening, but for now I've just fitted a piece of cardboard into the opening on the south-facing one.

The new Veluxes all have blinds and essential they are too, living as I do in tropical Cumbria (well, Cumberland now I suppose). 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another option is to replace the glazing with laminated glass - the interlayer cuts down a lot of uv light. It’s worthwhile making an enquiry to see if it can be done easily and for the right price. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 08/08/2023 at 11:52, Waverley West said:

A few more shots of 37043...

37043f.jpg.8ff2965529833c22eb210d3d88a6b03a.jpg

37043g.jpg.bc80dda4534f07a103f037dee3f42187.jpg

37043n.jpg.ae16d629d443f509c6b77b8199781864.jpg

Currently on the workbench is a newly tooled Bachmann 47/7, now in the shape of 47704 Dunedin. This is basically finished and just needs to be reassembled now really. This one has been done in its Eastfield guise, with suitably dirty cab roofs. I've also modelled the quirks of this particular loco in the form of blue data panels behind the cab doors and the missing roof panel behind the no. 2 cab end, not to mention the larger 8" numbers, with 47704 being the only 47/7 to carry these.

Hope to be back soon with some shots of 47704. Work on the Mk2z Perth push-pull set has stalled in the past week, partly because of the work being done on 37043 and 47704, but also due to problems encountered during final tests runs in push mode. These latest Bachmann Mk2z's seem to be a bit on the light side, so I'm going to try adding some weight first.

Happy modelling in the meantime!

Cheers

Dave

Hello Waverley West,

I’ve seen your work previously on other topic and have been stunned by the superb quality and the way you photograph it. These images, in my opinion, top everything I’ve seen to date so I was compelled to comment.

The modelling workmanship is top drawer and these images bring the whole thing to life.

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

Bob

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 08/08/2023 at 11:52, Waverley West said:

A few more shots of 37043...

37043f.jpg.8ff2965529833c22eb210d3d88a6b03a.jpg

37043g.jpg.bc80dda4534f07a103f037dee3f42187.jpg

37043n.jpg.ae16d629d443f509c6b77b8199781864.jpg

Currently on the workbench is a newly tooled Bachmann 47/7, now in the shape of 47704 Dunedin. This is basically finished and just needs to be reassembled now really. This one has been done in its Eastfield guise, with suitably dirty cab roofs. I've also modelled the quirks of this particular loco in the form of blue data panels behind the cab doors and the missing roof panel behind the no. 2 cab end, not to mention the larger 8" numbers, with 47704 being the only 47/7 to carry these.

Hope to be back soon with some shots of 47704. Work on the Mk2z Perth push-pull set has stalled in the past week, partly because of the work being done on 37043 and 47704, but also due to problems encountered during final tests runs in push mode. These latest Bachmann Mk2z's seem to be a bit on the light side, so I'm going to try adding some weight first.

Happy modelling in the meantime!

Cheers

Dave

Both the modelling and photography are impressive. The middle photo looks, well, almost like a photo of the 1:1 model (I think some of the modellers of the 1:1 layout have gone a little OTT on the weathering, but you seem to have got it just right).

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/08/2023 at 01:08, Neilgue said:

Another option is to replace the glazing with laminated glass - the interlayer cuts down a lot of uv light. It’s worthwhile making an enquiry to see if it can be done easily and for the right price. 

Hi, just picking up on that point, it is possible to get UV film to cover the window. I have been looking at that as I have a South facing velux in my railway room. The sun does a full circuit of the layout and display cabinets during the day. I don't have links to hand on my kindle. A search for "UV  window film" should get you some appropriate results. 

As a note of caution . . . . The site I visited had length in metres and width in millimetres.  I hadn't spotted that until I realised the astronomical price was for 900m of film rather than 900mm ("why are you mixing your units? " , my O level maths teacher would ask. . . . .).

If I remember correctly the film cost under £10. There are YouTube videos on how to apply it.

It is nice to see other people's railway room as well as the layout itself. You can then understand the constraints that have been overcome to create a scene.

Lovely layout. I've only visited Edinburgh a few times, but always have to pass over that footbridge. Have shown the photos above to Mrs FP this morning as she went to Uni in Edinburgh. She knew where it was straight away and said it was hard to believe it was a model. Agreed !

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 10/08/2023 at 10:11, Waverley West said:

Thanks Moley! 

The layout is housed in a room above our garage. Fortunately, a house came with the garage, so we have somewhere to live too!

I had the room insulated and fitted with as many Velux windows as possible (4 modest-sized ones + 2 small pre-existing ones). I also had the southwest facing end window enlarged as much as possible. The natural light is still more limited than I would like it to be, so I had 15 x LED lights installed in the ceiling. These are "daylight" bulbs, only 4W each too, so they don't consume much power, even with 15 of them.  These dim as well, which means I can run the layout in semi-darkness too, which shows up the layout lighting nicely.

Here are a couple of not very good photos of the layout room...

Railwayroom6.jpg.ac8d98d159ddcc99f9e08dda219e3f8c.jpg

Railwayroom7.jpg.87b1917d6d5443f1dc6b0d1b0b62de39.jpg

The new Veluxes have blinds, but the old ones don't. I've recently noticed that the cab on one power car on my blue-grey HST has become very faded, so I think I will need to block up the offending window somehow.

Hope that gives you an insight into what the layout really looks like!

Cheers

Dave

I have to agree with Moley, your photographs do look as if they are in natural light. More than that, they look as if they are taken outside. How have you recreated the natural outdoor appearance, where you have unidirectional light from the sun but the whole area is bathed in light so that you avoid the sharp and heavy contrast shadows from a unidirectional lamp? 

• 1 month later...
On 12/08/2023 at 14:52, RBAGE said:

I have to agree with Moley, your photographs do look as if they are in natural light. More than that, they look as if they are taken outside. How have you recreated the natural outdoor appearance, where you have unidirectional light from the sun but the whole area is bathed in light so that you avoid the sharp and heavy contrast shadows from a unidirectional lamp? 

There are two end windows plus five Veluxes which let in light from all angles. The largest window faces southwest. This lets in the most light and I take most of my sunlit shots when the sun/strong light is coming through this window.  There are also 15 LED dimmable daylight bulbs evenly distributed across the ceiling.

All these light sources combined come together to produce the overall lighting.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

22 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Hi again folks,

Just thought I'd post a few pics of WW's latest 47/7... a new tooling version partially resprayed/renumbered/weathered 47704 Dunedin, complete with oversized 8" numbers.

The loco is the first 47/7 on WW to be modelled as per its Eastfield days, with Westie logo. Eastfield never kept the 47/7s anything like as clean as Haymarket did when it had them and the photos show a covering of roof grime already descending on the loco, not all that many months after transfer to the Glasgow depot in October 1987. 

The dark grey on this loco had to be resprayed, as Bachmann's version is based on the modern version of the livery.

Here are some shots of the loco on the new Perth Mk 2z rake...

47704b.jpg.313c1fff7cae9038bf87a0df0596b76a.jpg

47704g.jpg.23312910ac96c80cba8fc454a7e50606.jpg

47704i.jpg.913b3a233402f762601bb71b81d8c13d.jpg

47704e.jpg.457236d5551ece4b866cd58400979a59.jpg

47704a.jpg.56109c48428e42c219d70c0790893c01.jpg

47704j.jpg.1017d69e0964e882bab7886bbeefcf70.jpg

The Mk 2z rake leaving platform 17 bound for Perth...

Perthrakea.jpg.f51a32a6dec701500003afe0c355c7d1.jpg

The loco has settled into its duties nicely. The ability to independently control head and tail lights with the new tooling is a real boon on push-pull services, as it makes it possible to run with tail lights only in push mode. On my locos on which it is not possible to independently control/permanently switch off the tail lights, I always disconnect the tail lights at the tension lock coupling end, so that a loco can never haul a train with its tail lights on. The lights at the end with buffer beam detailing can be left unaltered. 

The loco has become a real favourite on the layout and now rivals the "Duke" for popularity on push-pull services. I can firmly say though that I have no plans to replace my shove-duff fleet with all latest tooling versions. The previous Bachmann 47 was pretty good as it was and the cost involved really makes the idea unjustifiable. I have managed to pick up a couple cheap from Model Railways Direct though, so there will be more additions to the fleet soon!

I did experiment with using magnetic couplings on the Mk 2z rake, but I gave up in the end due to constant derailments on the ladder crossings through Princes St Gardens. The Mk 2f DBSO still has a magnetic coupling at the non-driving end, but the other coaches have been refitted with tension lock couplings. These seem to negotiate crossing better in push mode, due to their inherent slack. The magnetic couplings seemed to be too rigid.

In other news, a Realtrak 156 has just been completed. More on that to follow. This unit marks the end of the period covered by Waverley West (roughly 1980-1990). It will be accompanied by a pair of Bachmann 158s, which will be used on "trials" only, marking the transition away from loco-hauled trains from 1990 onwards, when Waverley gradually became a less interesting place. 

Hope to be back soon.

Happy Modelling!

Dave

The 2Z set and '704 looking magnificent together.

Don't know if it's of interest, but a video of trains at Waverley in January 1990, i.e. - at the end of your modelling era, cropped up in my YouTube feed last night.

Some interesting mixed formations to be seen:

(spompeytransportvideoYouTube)

Edited by hexagon789
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 37081LochLong said:

Great stuff, 47704 was the first 47/7 I ever saw when it was BR Blue with grey roof and that's how I want to model it eventually. It's still my favourite 47/7 so great to see it modelled like this

It was of course the first to enter service after having been used for all the testing and trials both out of Derby and in Scotland.

• Like 1