Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

On 31/10/2022 at 11:59, Waverley West said:

As promised, here are a few more piccies...

As evening falls, platforms 12-15 are full of services waiting to depart to destinations across Scotland.

1653079229_Stationthroata.jpg.4b4618052cc4f627f023659d76f65690.jpg

Weather-beaten and faded 20048 waits for its next duty...

20048a.jpg.04ed01994f9b441eda2f3ee012f652fb.jpg

Earlier in the day, it was 37012's turn to wait for its next duty...

37012a.jpg.d3c46ac254f17626c98f78d46a83b01a.jpg

37/4s have recently been infringing on what had previously been traditional class 47 territory.

Here is 37417 waiting to depart for Inverness....

37417a.jpg.336b062a24e508c6795a5702c6f1c82c.jpg

Meanwhile, Railfreight 20132 and faded BR Blue 20048 wheel a Speedlink service through Princes St Gardens...

2103970564_20sb.jpg.02e1ec88d37c32efb41d68d258488e46.jpg

Followed shortly after by Inverness-based 27029 on a rake of ballast wagons...

27029j.jpg.3991ad516b7f91b445efdb5da78b7d59.jpg

27029i.jpg.3b12ae0327d3778c193927aeab2c04fc.jpg

New stock looking top class as always . I have this type of 27. Have you found a solution for the speaker? I did install an ice cube face down in the fuel tank with the bottom of the tank cut away. This sounded fantastic until it had a derailment in the fiddle yard and shorted the chip! Thankfully it was a Zimo and not ESU so their excellent warranty covered my electrically dumb mistake ! 

9 hours ago, meanach said:

New stock looking top class as always . I have this type of 27. Have you found a solution for the speaker? I did install an ice cube face down in the fuel tank with the bottom of the tank cut away. This sounded fantastic until it had a derailment in the fiddle yard and shorted the chip! Thankfully it was a Zimo and not ESU so their excellent warranty covered my electrically dumb mistake ! 

Hi meanach,

Thanks! In all my 26/27s, I've installed a cube speaker in the fuel tank. I make sure only plastic is showing facing downwards, flush with the bottom of the cut-out fuel tank. I've never had a problem with shorts following derailments.

Hope that helps!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see the loco depot  its a very good representation of a major centre  ,the offices are excellent a feature not often modelled and a night time period is different.a l  Good luck with the Deltics they will add a very special feel to the layout I must admit they were a class I liked to watch.  Towards the end of thier service I watched them go through Hitchin along with at least ten other chaps so I can dream.  wish I could run one on my layout but to small

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Nice to see the loco depot  its a very good representation of a major centre  ,the offices are excellent a feature not often modelled and a night time period is different.a l  Good luck with the Deltics they will add a very special feel to the layout I must admit they were a class I liked to watch.  Towards the end of thier service I watched them go through Hitchin along with at least ten other chaps so I can dream.  wish I could run one on my layout but to small

Thanks lms. I wanted to include those offices as they often seem to be prominent in general views of the depot. They were quite tricky to make, as the glazing is very extensive, so keeping the structure square and rigid was a challenge. 

I was lucky enough to just catch the Deltics before their withdrawal. I never saw St Paddy or Nimbus, but I did manage to see the rest before they met their end. The problem I have is that, in terms of era, Waverley West has drifted towards the second half of the 80s over the years, so my Bachmann Deltics gradually saw less and less use. My plan to overcome this issue is to use the preserved KOYLI and Tulyar in particular on specials comprising Mk 1 stock, which will give me a legitimate reason to run them (besides the good old Rule 1 of course).

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Waverley West has drifted towards the second half of the 80s

That's a good thing, otherwise I might have been confronted by a model of myself in my blue dust coat, with my MG Midget parked on the slope down to Russell Road...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Great work Dave - love the atmospheric photos! Are you heading to Model Rail Scotland in a few weeks? Would be good to catch up if so!

Kind regards,

Will

Thanks Will! I'm hoping to make it to MRS, yes. I've normally gone on a Saturday, but I think it will have to be the Friday this year, as I'm away at the weekend.

Looking forward to seeing you all and catching up again,

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billywhizz said:

Stunning photos Dave. I had to look twice to make sure it was the layout and not a real location!! What do you use for taking the photos. 
always enjoy your updates, very inspirational!

Cheers. 
Bill. 

Thanks Bill! I use a Canon EOS 6D. I used to use a Canon EOS 500D, which I actually preferred. The field of depth seemed to be deeper for some reason. Unfortunately, it eventually gave up the ghost after too many beach holidays with the family, leading to sand getting into the shutter mechanism!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...