Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Great to have WW back in action - that faded 20 is very realistic indeed, and I do remember seeing them in just that condition in many locations - and a quick how I did it is also very helpful.

Sorry to say, we have now moved down the country to Shropshire, so are even further away from any possibility of seeing your excellent layout in the flesh are even less now than they were before.

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Waverley West said:

Here are a few more shots, starting with 37012 Loch Lomond...

1263575951_37012d.jpg.b903925ee3227fcec5f563af53b72787.jpg

and 37114 Dunrobin Castle...

37114a.jpg.54dd643f9fea8ac9917333bde60d4150.jpg

and yet another "new" 37 on WW in the shape of 37401 Mary Queen of Scots on a humble ballast train. This has replaced a previous incarnation of 37401 on the layout, which I was never entirely happy with for various reasons and seemed to spend all its time sitting in the sidings in the East Yard at Haymarket.  

615687190_37401a.jpg.823bbb51d226524e00b31a9fdf421021.jpg

Breaking the tractor monopoly is 47209 Herbert Austin parked by the north wall...

47209a.jpg.0a460365fb0dd9cc3f354bedb3dec785.jpg

... and later on a rake of PCA cement tanks...

47209f.jpg.8b3090c47daa456908456387f96eff25.jpg

...and shortly after wheeling the rake through Waverley...

47209k.jpg.f420dec51404ee1d4a03ba955e4703ec.jpg

DMU and HST side-by-side on Platforms 18 and 19 respectively...

1556552672_HSTandDMUb.jpg.2fc3d3e648195027c0b9e3be2c895a0b.jpg

In other news, the cut-and-shut 3-car class 101 is nearing completion. It would have been virtually finished over the weekend if it hadn't been for the varnish aerosols jamming on me. Some replacements have been ordered, so hopefully it won't be long before it enters service now. Apart from final varnishing, all that's left to do now is to fit the engine components, exhaust pipes and some buffer beam detailing to the DMSL. 

The plan is to move straight onto another one, this time probably with black cab window surrounds. I am also contemplating a third one, this time in Strathclyde orange/black livery, having just picked up another 2-car unit very cheaply on ebay. It has proved to be a relatively simple project, at least once I had decided where to make the cuts on the bodies and chassis, not to mention where the wires needed to go inside the centre car.

Hope to be back soon.

Cheers for now,

Dave

That pan shot of 47209 is superb.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Waverley West said:

I guess I could also post some of the photos that were lost in the Great Crash if people are interested.

I certainly would be. I have been through this thread twice from start to finish, but there are so many great photos - I don't think there is enough time to appreciate them all!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Waverley West said:

as 3-car units had two engines rather than the one in the 2-car version (apart from power twin units, of course).

Do you mean power cars or actual engines there, sorry?

If the latter, the 101s (in common with all the First Generation types bar the 112s and 113s) had two engines on all power cars; the typical Scottish 3-car set thus had four in total - 600bhp.

Perhaps I'm just misinterpreting your phrasing, apologies if that's the case.

13 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Do you mean power cars or actual engines there, sorry?

If the latter, the 101s (in common with all the First Generation types bar the 112s and 113s) had two engines on all power cars; the typical Scottish 3-car set thus had four in total - 600bhp.

Perhaps I'm just misinterpreting your phrasing, apologies if that's the case.

No, you're right. It was a poor choice of words! I meant power cars.

I got round to fitting all the underframe gubbins on the driving trailer last night. Here is a shot of the three coaches, with the converted, now "powered", trailer car (now a DMC with the 1st class declassified - does that make it a DMS?) at the top. The two engines on each power car can clearly be seen. In the middle is the cut-and-shut TSL centre car (body and chassis not quite fitted together properly in the photo!). Finally, the unmodified (apart from renumbering) DMBS is shown at the bottom.

I managed to remove all the engine components from the DMBS that was sacrificed, except the box in the centre-right next to the long box which I presume is the battery box. This box is cast in metal on the DMBS so much more difficult to remove. I have made a start on it with a hacksaw, but it's going to take a little while. It's barely visible anyway to be honest.

The set is now numbered as 101 324 (51253+59304+53746), which was based at Haymarket for much of the 80s and had Haymarket castle logos on the centre car and depot stickers below the unit numbers on the cab fronts, not to mention ScotRail logos of course. 

IMG_2355.JPG.d04b14e718269636ed91ab26c0d8a595.JPG

I'm hoping my varnish order will arrive today and I'll be able to get on to the final stages (slight weathering of the centre car to match the driving cars and buffer beam detailing at the end which used to be coupled to another 2-car unit to make up a 4-car set).

It's funny really, it's such a mundane subject but because these 3-car sets were so commonplace at Waverley in the 80s and it's taken me so long to get round to doing one, I'm quite excited about putting the first one into service (sad, I know) - only 20 years after I first started building the layout. 🙄

Now a Class 120 cross-country 3-car unit would be good too...

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Waverley West said:

I got round to fitting all the underframe gubbins on the driving trailer last night. Here is a shot of the three coaches, with the converted, now "powered", trailer car (now a DMC with the 1st class declassified - does that make it a DMS?) at the top. The two engines on each power car can clearly be seen. In the middle is the cut-and-shut TSL centre car (body and chassis not quite fitted together properly in the photo!). Finally, the unmodified (apart from renumbering) DMBS is shown at the bottom.

I managed to remove all the engine components from the DMBS that was sacrificed, except the box in the centre-right next to the long box which I presume is the battery box. This box is cast in metal on the DMBS so much more difficult to remove. I have made a start on it with a hacksaw, but it's going to take a little while. It's barely visible anyway to be honest.

The set is now numbered as 101 324 (51253+59304+53746), which was based at Haymarket for much of the 80s and had Haymarket castle logos on the centre car and depot stickers below the unit numbers on the cab fronts, not to mention ScotRail logos of course. 

IMG_2355.JPG.d04b14e718269636ed91ab26c0d8a595.JPG

I'm hoping my varnish order will arrive today and I'll be able to get on to the final stages (slight weathering of the centre car to match the driving cars and buffer beam detailing at the end which used to be coupled to another 2-car unit to make up a 4-car set).

It's funny really, it's such a mundane subject but because these 3-car sets were so commonplace at Waverley in the 80s and it's taken me so long to get round to doing one, I'm quite excited about putting the first one into service (sad, I know) - only 20 years after I first started building the layout. 🙄

Now a Class 120 cross-country 3-car unit would be good too...

Cheers for now,

Dave

Love the Class 101 there!! I'm really surprised Bachmann haven't offered a 3 car set yet - both Blue and Grey and Strathclyde PTE would be sure-fire sellers

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

No worries, Dave. Just clarifying.

1 hour ago, GordonC said:

Love the Class 101 there!! I'm really surprised Bachmann haven't offered a 3 car set yet - both Blue and Grey and Strathclyde PTE would be sure-fire sellers

Agreed, and also a pity.

Perhaps one day...

DMSL I would say usually, though internally they usually retained the 2+2 First Class seating - I remember Platform 5 used to note this as why they (in their books) kept the DMCL codes and simply added a * to denote de-classification. I haven't yet found out whether the data panels were repainted to DMSL in practice or not.

A lot of detailed work there, but it really will 'make' the set in terns of that added realism you continue to demonstrate here. Very nice to see as, for myself at least, I do appreciate the extra work people put in like this, little things, but they do make a difference and while not everyone might notice them I do and I appreciate them even if others might not!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Just thought I'd post some pics of the new 3-car class 101s. It's only taken me nearly 20 years to get round to doing them. I kept hoping and thinking that Bachmann were bound to produce a 3-car version of their 101 at some point, but when they moved on to other classes and altered the coupling/technology, it became increasingly clear that they weren't interested. Any self-respecting model of Waverley in the 80s has to have at least a couple of course, so...

A missed opportunity I think, I fancied having one for my Scottish layout but the lack of 3-car is off-putting.

Of course, at least thirty probably! 😉

And maybe a 107 or ten... 😜

43 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

I have now completed two units, 101339 - an Eastfield-based unit with a Westie depot sticker on the centre car, and 101324 - a Haymarket-based example with a castle sticker in place of the Westie. I have also just started work on a third, which will probably be resprayed into Strathclyde PTE livery. 101s in this livery were not unusual on Fife and other services out of Waverley during the second half of the 80s. It was definitely a fascinating period of "anything goes" and that's what I've tried to recreate with my evolving collection of DMUs.

They are very nicely done, Bachmann could learn something...

And wonderfully evocative and atmospheric images as always.

Edited by hexagon789
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

Of course, at least thirty probably! 😉

And maybe a 107 or ten... 😜

Ha ha, yes, you're right. I'm currently trying to resist the idea of doing a fourth one with black cab window surrounds. I always thought it made them look a bit smarter and more modern.

A couple of 107s (108s in disguise) done so far too (Strathclyde and blue/grey Transclyde liveries)! 

The biggest gap in Waverley West's first generation DMU fleet is now definitely a class 120.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Ha ha, yes, you're right. I'm currently trying to resist the idea of doing a fourth one with black cab window surrounds. I always thought it made them look a bit smarter and more modern.

A couple of 107s (108s in disguise) done so far too (Strathclyde and blue/grey Transclyde liveries)! 

The biggest gap in Waverley West's first generation DMU fleet is now definitely a class 120.

I knew you had some 107s but yes a 120 is probably the most significant DMU type missing.

Though I've seen a few shots of 126s making the odd appearance on the Shotts line workings in 1980-82 but that's probably a step too far!

• Like 1

That 101 is fantastic i could just imagine it swaying and rolling through the point work under clouds of exhaust smoke ,you are a very brave man fadeing a brand new class 20 but the result is superb ,in the last years of the 20s on BR the depots seemed to clean them a bit more often once the dirt was washed of the engine compartment doors these often looked very faded but the cab sides  and frames could still be quite bright rail blue something i would like to have a go at myself,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Here as promised are some more pics

I especially like the night view in the last picture with the light reflected off the rails. Took me back to night time surveying possessions just off the platform ends of station S and C I was working on.

Lovely layout. The third car conversions look great.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd drop by and wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! 

Life and work are crazily busy right now, so I'm having to electronically recycle a Christmas card from a couple of years ago this year. There's no time for any more modelling updates just at the moment either, I'm afraid, except to say that another 3-car 101 is currently passing through the works, along with new Bachmann Haymarket-based Banger blue 47012. Hopefully, I'll manage to find time for some modelling and another update next week.

In the meantime, I hope Santa brings you all the trains you've asked for! 

186599274_MerryChristmas2022.jpg.f3910b4d53ac349f872d37cd32b8b789.jpg

Seasons greetings,

Dave

Merry Christmas to you and yours too Dave.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1