Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

It’s always great to see photos of your layout. I was through Edinburgh Waverley last week on my way to spend a few days behind 37403. It’s certainly not the place it was .

I don’t recall seeing the mainline spoon before , what’s that re worked from? Also I like the weathering on the bashers mk2 roof, how was that done? Ian 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2023 at 22:31, ColinK said:

As always such a superb layout.  Any plans to exhibit it?

Thanks Colin, I'm afraid not. The layout was never built to be exhibited and it wouldn't stand up to the rigours of the exhibition circuit, I'm afraid. It is portable though, so it could be moved if necessary (house moves in other words).

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/04/2023 at 17:14, meanach said:

It’s always great to see photos of your layout. I was through Edinburgh Waverley last week on my way to spend a few days behind 37403. It’s certainly not the place it was .

I don’t recall seeing the mainline spoon before , what’s that re worked from? Also I like the weathering on the bashers mk2 roof, how was that done? Ian 

Cheers Ian. You're right about Waverley, I'm afraid. It seems to be packed full of units of various lengths and shapes these days. Hardly a loco in sight.

The spoon was reworked from Bachmann 47832 Tamar. It was a fairly straightforward process, apart from the need to replace the battery boxes/fuel tanks with the correct type. The yellow around the cab windscreens had to be painted over, but that was it really, apart from the actual renumbering/naming.

The Mk 2 roofs were done by painting the areas a paler colour where the roof was to be peeling. These areas were then painted with Maskol. The roof was then completely resprayed and the Maskol removed to reveal the peeled areas. The entire roof was then covered with weathering powder in a suitable shade of grey.

Hope that helps!

Hope to be back soon with an update about my (ultimately successful) trials and tribulations with the new Accurascale Deltic.

Happy Modelling,

Dave 

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 11/04/2023 at 15:02, Waverley West said:

Cheers Ian. You're right about Waverley, I'm afraid. It seems to be packed full of units of various lengths and shapes these days. Hardly a loco in sight.

The spoon was reworked from Bachmann 47832 Tamar. It was a fairly straightforward process, apart from the need to replace the battery boxes/fuel tanks with the correct type. The yellow around the cab windscreens had to be painted over, but that was it really, apart from the actual renumbering/naming.

The Mk 2 roofs were done by painting the areas a paler colour where the roof was to be peeling. These areas were then painted with Maskol. The roof was then completely resprayed and the Maskol removed to reveal the peeled areas. The entire roof was then covered with weathering powder in a suitable shade of grey.

Hope that helps!

Hope to be back soon with an update about my (ultimately successful) trials and tribulations with the new Accurascale Deltic.

Happy Modelling,

Dave 

Hi . Yes that’s very helpful , especially the roof repaint . Why I have never thought about using Maskol I don’t know ! It’s so obvious really but that’s why we need people like yourself to pass on their techniques! I have a whole load of west highland mk1 to do. I shall give that method a whirl. 
Ian 

Edited by meanach
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Re. derailing Accurascale Deltics, here is my explanation (cut-and-pasted from the AC Deltic thread) of the causes and modifications I found solved my issues with my 55018:

My Ballymoss kept derailing at two particular points on the layout, both on curves where there was a slight "hump" in the track at two baseboard joints.

I eventually realised that, at these points, the trailing bogie was pitching (moving in the plane of the loco) and then pivoting and then "unpitching" and straightening again.

As the bogie pivoted around the curve with the front of the trailing bogie pitching upwards and the rear pitching down (i.e. the loco was going over a slight hump in the track), this caused the top of the rear of the bogie to move directly below the coupling block on the chassis. If the bogie remained in this position as the loco came out of the curve and off the hump in the track, it ended up lodged beneath the coupling block. As the loco moved out of the curve, the bogie then became jammed against the coupling block and unable to straighten, causing the derailment.

The eventual fix proved to be filing a bevel of a couple of mm's on the top edge of the coupling block and the V in the end of the bogie. This stops the interlocking between the bogie and coupling block and prevents the bogie from becoming lodged on top of the coupling block as the loco comes out of the curve.

Not sure how well I've explained that, but I hope it helps someone! There may well be other reasons for these locos derailing, but this has completely eradicated the problems with my Ballymoss and I don't have any derailment issues with it now.

I have 4 Accurascale Deltics and test runs have indicated that two of the others are fine and one suffers from the same derailment issue, so that one will also have to undergo minor surgery.

As regards the infamous rattle, it really is just a question of opening the loco up and checking for possible sources. The main source of the rattle in my Ballymoss was one of the two circuit boards under the loco's roof. This couldn't be tightened using the screws, so I eventually ended up unscrewing it and attaching it to the loco using Bluetac. I also unscrewed the speaker and did the same with that. These two steps seemed to eliminate the rattle completely.

Result: a fantastic loco but quite a lot of working out what was wrong and then solving the problem to get there!

Fortunately, the other three locos do not seem to suffer from the same rattle.

I have now sold all my Bachmann Deltics and am enjoying my Accurascale ones. I came to realise just how far out the nose of the Bachmann Deltic is when I opened the box containing my first Accurascale one. I hadn't really worked out what was wrong with the Bachmann Deltic until that moment. The Accurascale one looks spot on for shape.

Hope that helps!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, SHMD said:

Where's the Landy gone?

Only joking. Great tohave you back posting again.

Kev.

Still there, Kev. In fact, there's a Series II version on my workbench which will eventually replace it when I get round to it. There's a livestock trailer on the project list too. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

An absolute feast of inspiration and motivation in there Dave. Wonderful photos as always. Thanks for sharing and giving us the update.

Right, lunch break over, I’m back to Mallaig 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Dave, great updates! The 101’s look fantastic. Re the ScotRail MK2z’s have you corrected the brake issue. The coaches were originally part of the Class 27 era push pull fleet and retained the disc brakes. I have removed the clasp brake shoes on mine and fitted Will’s Workbench CC02W disc brake inserts to the wheel sets.
IMG_7564.jpeg.56bbf715c701df18fc58500949b96444.jpegIMG_7562.jpeg.b0a744e8d464ee0c0224c43647e8078b.jpegI also added CC07W brake disc inserts to my fleet of DBSO’s 

Cheers. 
Bill. IMG_7012.jpeg.4c38a61ac45ba5feaca2657a812821ea.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi Bill,

What a useful post! No, I haven't corrected the brake issue as yet. The rake is still a work in progress. I just wanted to test the lights and the magnetic couplings on the layout, so they were heading back to the workbench again anyway.

Those upgrades look great and make a big difference, so I will definitely have to investigate.

Thanks!

Cheers

Dave

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave. I also have added bogie footsteps (can be seen on the previous posted photos) and the single body mounted footstep on the opposing ends which the Bachmann MK2F’s come with ready fitted. Apologies for the rubbish photo, you can just about make it out. 
IMG_7560.jpeg.d51e11331a1acdbe887eb75a9441f011.jpeg
Cheers,

Bill. 

• Like 5

I’ve been missing seeing posts on this layout and now suddenly we are spoilt . Great photos as usual and boy have you been productive! The 101 looks fantastic.

Is 20048 modelled from the newest tooling ? I’ve been wondering if there is any space for a better speaker in the new tool 20s . In the old ones I cut the nose of the chassis off and stuck a Rail Express exclusive or Zimo dumbo speaker sat vertically . I bet the new lighting circuit will curtail this mod. I’ve not seen a ‘naked’ one yet ! Ian 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1