What would you like to see in preservation?

Dudley Dodger

• RMweb Premium

Can't wait to see who preserves the first HST. That will happen soonish i would think, they are due for mass retirment in what, 5-10 years (under current published plans).

I'd like to see the Bullied Leader preserved as well. I know it was unbelivably crap, but it was unique and an important step forward (in that we knew not to do that again).

Can't wait to see who preserves the first HST.

Probably NRM will save a pair of power cars. No heritage line has the use for one at 25mph. If GC was 60mph all the time and crossed the gap, then maybe.

Guest Max Stafford

Personally, I'd love to see DP2 or GT3 re-incarnated. In the case of the latter, there must be an old pair of 5MT frames and a spare jet engine kicking around somewhere! ;)

Dave.

Personally, I'd love to see DP2 or GT3 re-incarnated. In the case of the latter, there must be an old pair of 5MT frames and a spare jet engine kicking around somewhere! ;)

Dave.

DP2 would be an easier proposition than most, as there must be a suitable ex-50 power unit and spare 37/50 pattern bogies available as a starting point.

Personally I'd go for the original poster's choice of 6202, though.

David

P.S. Good sig, Dudley Dodger - Centro's lukewarm local rail policy is in dire need of a boot up the behind!

Probably NRM will save a pair of power cars. No heritage line has the use for one at 25mph. If GC was 60mph all the time and crossed the gap, then maybe.

I'm sure plenty of them will end up derelict and dumped in the sidings of various preserved lines, in the best tradition of diesel "preservation".

• RMweb Premium

An HST chugging along at 25mph wouldn't be much different to Deltic or A4 on a preserved line.

I'd like to see some of the early prototypes recreated - LMS 10000, 10100 (Fell), or 10201-10203.

It's a shame we're not likely to see many EMUs perserved. Third rail stuff could run with a 33 or 73 so would be of use to a railway even without the third rail (third rail on the Bluebell anyone!? wink.gif ). Can't see any railway putting up 25kV OHLE though...

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Am I right in thinking that one of the class 70 booster sets is still in existence somewhere? Could form the basis for a "rebuild"

That's a new one on me Pete, but it would be nice if true! No mention of it on the SEmG website.

It's a shame we're not likely to see many EMUs perserved. Third rail stuff could run with a 33 or 73 so would be of use to a railway even without the third rail (third rail on the Bluebell anyone!?

They have an EMU - 4VEP No. 3417 'Gordon Pettitt'.

An HST chugging along at 25mph wouldn't be much different to Deltic or A4 on a preserved line.

I suppose, when you put it that way. But all 3 operational A4s are mainline approved. I'm not sure of the fleet status of the Deltics.

I suppose, when you put it that way. But all 3 operational A4s are mainline approved. I'm not sure of the fleet status of the Deltics.

At least two of those (Deltics) are mainline approved as I understand it. I think certainly any future for any preserved HST would require the set to maintain mainline approval or to just sit rusting, there's probably no real inbetween sad.gif

[edit] should have specified it was Deltics I was referring to...

I would like to see the Old Dalby Test Track put to preservation use. It currently has 25KV OHLE, dummy OHLE and 4 rail DC. Why not turn the dummy OHLE into a lower voltage system for some of the original Electric locos and bond the 4th rail to the track to allow 3rd rail EMUs to run as well.

Nice high speed running as well...

• RMweb Gold

Personally, rather than more loco's recreated, I'd rather see more historic coaches restored to use. How many of you know that the only surviving coach from the 1924 Flying Scotsman train is preserved on the Great Central Railway? Probably not many as she is sat in the sidings at Rothley waiting to be restored! Those of you who visited the GCR over the last 18months or so may have seen the changes that she has undergone, I took her on a project for my university dissertation, making her presentable to the public again as she had become rather careworn. At the start she looked like:

post-1365-12581215520032_thumb.jpg

After about four months she looked like:

post-1365-12581216007526_thumb.jpg

Six months:

2876080161_e1058cdb63.jpg

Seven Months:

post-1365-12581214619163_thumb.jpg

Eight Months and the end of the project:

post-1365-12581216369794_thumb.jpg

Admittedly she doesn't exactly look first class, but she does look a heck of a lot better than when I first started working on her. Replacement of most of the panels and the beading that is a distinctive feature of Gresley's coaches. To get her back into service would require an awful lot of work, but think about it, when completed how fantastic would she look! The modifications carried out to her at Knottingley depot need reversing (the large doors in the side of the coach are part of these mods). Perhaps the NRM can be persuaded to let us have Flying Scotsman on loan when its finally finished and we can have a unique pairing??

There are so many coaches that sit derelict in sidings on preserved railways all over the country, looking rather worse for wear as they are considered too expensive to repair initially, but what happens when the weather takes its toll, they get worse, and end up costing more money in the long term to restore.

Basically what I'm trying to say is instead of just leaving them to rot, how about a little preventative maintenance, and a little bit more effort from everyone involved in the preservation industry. After all, if no-one restored these coaches (and wagons too) how would we be able to travel behind the locos we love, be they preserved or new build.

Therefore, how about instead of saying what we like to see built, how about what we'd like to see restored in terms of rolling stock, and give our pennies accordingly?

On the steam front, I'd like to see some of the 4-4-0's that were the mainstay of so many inter-war passenger services;- 2p, L1, D1, Claud or WHY... As far as 'Modern' traction is concerned, The Bulleids of all descriptions, or some 1.5 Kv overhead so we could see the woodhead locos run again......

How about a stretch of broad gauge long enough to make it worth while to build a few more replicas and have the space to run them at speed. know theres the short stretch at didcot and one at the NRM and i vaguely remember reading about a plan to lay another elsewhere? We need more!

Archived