What would you like to see in preservation?

Dudley Dodger

I'd like to propose a completely different preservation project - a large secure dry storage facility for preserved locos and rolling stock.

As I see it, without wishing to be critical of the work done by preservation societies, many preservation projects seem to be a race between raising funds and the deterioration of their intended recipient as it sits in a siding exposed to weather and vandalism. Much of the damage which needs expensive work has often occurred since a loco or coach was withdrawn from service.

Therefore, if a suitable secure dry secure storage facility existed, most of this damage could be prevented. Newly withdrawn locos and stock destined for preservation could be run straight from their last day in traffic into dry secure storage, where only minimal work would be required before they could resume service in preservation. This would be particularly valuable for multiple units, which seem particularly vulnerable to vandalism and failed attempts at preservation.

Existing preserved stock currently in outdoor storage at preserved lines across the country could also be saved from further deterioration, and suitable workshop facilities by provided for overhaul and restoration.

If managed properly, I would hope that the cost of the facility would be recouped by the savings on train restoration. The difficulty would be trying to raise funds for such a large scheme, and trying to convince people of its potential future benefits. "Buy a big warehouse" doesn't have the same appeal as "Save DXXXXX". Letting a train rot is also a lot cheaper than paying for covered storage, even if it will save money in the long run.

If such an idea was to happen, now would be the ideal time for it, as large warehouse prices are probably as low now as they will ever be - anyone got a few million to get it started?

Lets actually do this. its a wonderfull idea :)

Echoing an earlier poster, I'd love to see and hear a DP2 at work, and thought that might have been an outside possibility after the contentious sale of 9016 this year, coupled to the allegations of the Napiers being sold.

Although an ex Portugese 1800 power unit could be fitted into a deltic bodyshell the Iberian twin turbo arrangement wouldn't be an option. Not sure any of the surviving deltics would like such a heavy lump installed either.

Would love to see one of the Irish baby GMs imported and regauged to run on a preserved line in the UK - Aln valley or Nene Valley - ditto one of the surviving Hunslet/EEs.

Steam - it would have to be one of the LNW designs - Prince of Wales or Claughton, as I don't think the 0-8-2 tanks would be too popular as a "Lazarus" project !!!

I'd love to see a nice long rake of mixed parcels stock (and I mean really long) in one place, made up of all the yet to be restored stock that is scattered around pres lines all over the country...... in mid-late 60s condition with mixed liveries of green, maroon and blue, suitably weathered, hauled by D821 in maroon wink.gif .

Nidge

Interesting point there Nidge. I can't help thinking there would be some advantages, skills-wise, resources/ spares and effort - into making some preservation sites 'centres-of-excellence' for categories of stock rather more than they are (granted some locations have more than one of a loco type to reap the benefits). That way, maybe we could enjoy equivalents of Windcutters, in parcels, air-braked general merch - even MGR for goodness sake! Instead of pick-up freights featuring odd eclectic P.O wagons, pretty much interchangeable from one line to the next. There'd be plenty who would object to this as heresy of course...

An interesting range of views here.

The preservation of defunct lines and extensions to existing preserved lines would head up my queue.

I'm leaning with the guys who have suggested more rolling stock for preservation as opposed to more locos. Having said that, I would like to see a preserved 58 and possibly a 60 in the next few years.

I'd like to propose a completely different preservation project - a large secure dry storage facility for preserved locos and rolling stock.

As I see it, without wishing to be critical of the work done by preservation societies, many preservation projects seem to be a race between raising funds and the deterioration of their intended recipient as it sits in a siding exposed to weather and vandalism. Much of the damage which needs expensive work has often occurred since a loco or coach was withdrawn from service.

Therefore, if a suitable secure dry secure storage facility existed, most of this damage could be prevented. Newly withdrawn locos and stock destined for preservation could be run straight from their last day in traffic into dry secure storage, where only minimal work would be required before they could resume service in preservation. This would be particularly valuable for multiple units, which seem particularly vulnerable to vandalism and failed attempts at preservation.

Existing preserved stock currently in outdoor storage at preserved lines across the country could also be saved from further deterioration, and suitable workshop facilities by provided for overhaul and restoration.

If managed properly, I would hope that the cost of the facility would be recouped by the savings on train restoration. The difficulty would be trying to raise funds for such a large scheme, and trying to convince people of its potential future benefits. "Buy a big warehouse" doesn't have the same appeal as "Save DXXXXX". Letting a train rot is also a lot cheaper than paying for covered storage, even if it will save money in the long run.

If such an idea was to happen, now would be the ideal time for it, as large warehouse prices are probably as low now as they will ever be - anyone got a few million to get it started?

This is the best idea I've seen in a long time for preservation. Far too much 'preservation' should more honestly be called 'slow motion junkyard'.

I'm very in favour of this idea. A firm decision has to be made, by politicians, to safe some of the technical railway heritage, and put funds aside, for when a suitable works gets closed down, to be able to buy it, and put it into this preservation storage function.

But as is in real life, this is probably never going to happen, as there's no political willingness for this, and no funds either. Closed down railway sites are always earmarked for redevelopment long before there's even talk of closures. I bet it's often the other way around, where plans for redevelopment just push the railways out at the remotest chance ........ :angry:

Regards, Michel

I'm very in favour of this idea. A firm decision has to be made, by politicians, to safe some of the technical railway heritage, and put funds aside, for when a suitable works gets closed down, to be able to buy it, and put it into this preservation storage function.

But as is in real life, this is probably never going to happen, as there's no political willingness for this, and no funds either. Closed down railway sites are always earmarked for redevelopment long before there's even talk of closures. I bet it's often the other way around, where plans for redevelopment just push the railways out at the remotest chance ........ :angry:

Regards, Michel

That rather assumes that railway works make good museums, or even storage sites for such railway heritage (and, moreover, that there are such buildings there to be used in the first place - there aren't). There are several failed examples of this sort of thing - Preston Park, Brighton, Ashford - and others, notably Didcot, where he demands of the modern railway can cause issues. In the latter case, for the foreseeable future (well, 2045) its future is secure, but factors such as access, structural maintenance, security and the demands of different conservation and repair regimes for items of preserved material don't really suit. The Science Museum's reserve collections at Wroughton, a former airfield near Swindon is exactly this sort of thing of course and the big MOD depots used for secure commercial storage of all kinds might be suitable, but the commercial storage market is huge, and very remunerative.

That said, the best things in railway preservation in the last few years are things like the SVR's carriage shed, the shed that the North Norfolk Railway have been compelled to build for their quad-art and the plans for something similar at the Bluebell. This demonstrates two things: first, the increasing realisation of the importance of historic stock as part of railway heritage, and second, the place of railway preservation in the tourist industry. External appearance and internal cleanliness are much more easily achieved when the stock is maintained under-cover, this reduces time between overhauls and so on... Local initiatives such as these are much more likely to be useful enough to succeed.

Adam

That rather assumes that railway works make good museums, or even storage sites for such railway heritage (and, moreover, that there are such buildings there to be used in the first place - there aren't). There are several failed examples of this sort of thing - Preston Park, Brighton, Ashford - and others, notably Didcot, where he demands of the modern railway can cause issues. In the latter case, for the foreseeable future (well, 2045) its future is secure, but factors such as access, structural maintenance, security and the demands of different conservation and repair regimes for items of preserved material don't really suit. The Science Museum's reserve collections at Wroughton, a former airfield near Swindon is exactly this sort of thing of course and the big MOD depots used for secure commercial storage of all kinds might be suitable, but the commercial storage market is huge, and very remunerative.

That said, the best things in railway preservation in the last few years are things like the SVR's carriage shed, the shed that the North Norfolk Railway have been compelled to build for their quad-art and the plans for something similar at the Bluebell. This demonstrates two things: first, the increasing realisation of the importance of historic stock as part of railway heritage, and second, the place of railway preservation in the tourist industry. External appearance and internal cleanliness are much more easily achieved when the stock is maintained under-cover, this reduces time between overhauls and so on... Local initiatives such as these are much more likely to be useful enough to succeed.

Adam

The Severn Valley mention is quite interesting as I hadn't been down "'the valley" for a while until a day between Christmas and New Year - late afternoon. It was a spur of the moment move to take a mate out for a few hours after he'd just lost his mum. We hung over the fence in Kidderminster car park and watched and talked.

There was a lovely short rake of parcels stock including and SR green CCT, stock in the station looked really nice and the 7 coach service rake was in very good nick too. Signs that the shed is showing it's benefit ?

I'd like to see station goods yards with healthy wagons in them rather than rusting derelict vehicles awaiting restoration. At Gala days, a loco could be sent along to shunt the yard and show or remind people how these things were once part and parcel of the working of a railway. I have in mind Carrog for instance.

Nice one, Coach... I was looking for this thread ready to post the following comment when I saw yours - in similar vein!

I'd like to see at one of the larger stations - Kidderminster, Bury, Minehead etc - on diesel days or during diesel galas, a few rakes of BRUTEs being trundled about, and sacks of 'parcels' being slung from them into the brake. I guess it's life imitating art, or in this case preservation mimicking modelling, in pursuit of greater 'realism.'

I would like to see 18000, 89001 and the APT set returned to running order. These all exist in some state to getting them back into service (and preventing further deterioration) should be a lot cheaper than new builds.

On the new build front I am a GWR man at heart so the Betton Grange project interests me although I am not entirely convinced on the idea of building replicas rather than properly preserving the real thing (probably a discussion for another thread). Having said that, Tornado has certainly raised the profile of mainline steam running.

Stop work on the 4472, stuff it, mount it and use the collosal amount of money to three or four more worthy projects...... (Tin hat is on :O )

Flying Scotsman reminds of "my Grandad's broom". It lasts far better than any of this modern rubbish. Had a few new heads over the years and I changed the handle a couple of times but it is still my Grandad's broom!

(borrows Ajax's tin hat ;))

Archived