Imperil Potteries

darren01

Hi All

I have been working on a new layout based on potteries, set in Devon in the 50’s.

The entire track will be hand built using C+L track on ply sleepers and rivets, this is going to be fun having never built track before.

This weekend I will be making a start on the three base boards, each board will be four feet long by two feet, six wide, giving a total size of 12 feet long, this will include the hidden sidings.

All the track work will be laid on 5mm camping matt and MDF track base as per Mr Ian rice.

I have been making a lot of test with this set up and have found that my loco’s do run a lot better on this ,and a lot less noise .

Every stage of this build I will be putting up on here, I plan to have this model finished in about two years and hope to be able to take it to shows at a later date.

All the very best

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Hi All

I have been working on a new layout based on potteries, set in Devon in the 50’s.

The entire track will be hand built using C+L track on ply sleepers and rivets, this is going to be fun having never built track before.

This weekend I will be making a start on the three base boards, each board will be four feet long by two feet, six wide, giving a total size of 12 feet long, this will include the hidden sidings.

All the track work will be laid on 5mm camping matt and MDF track base as per Mr Ian rice.

I have been making a lot of test with this set up and have found that my loco’s do run a lot better on this ,and a lot less noise .

Every stage of this build I will be putting up on here, I plan to have this model finished in about two years and hope to be able to take it to shows at a later date.

All the very best

Darren

Frankly Darren, after your brill model of Torrington, which I think was your first real layout, if you told us you would be making a scale model of the Universe - I'd believe you! Look forward to the blow-by-blow account!

• RMweb Gold

Darren,

Sounds good, now that the weather is a little warmer and you can get into the garage to chop the wood - remember measure once, cut twice, sorry that's wrong - measure twice, cut once!!!!

Are you going to get a track plan on here or are you waiting to get the boards made?

Richard

Hi Darren,

The trackplan looks interesting, with plenty of shunting being able to take place. As its going to be an exhibitable layout which side are you going to operate from? and will you be looking to utilise the buildings with tracks entering by using them as a fiddleyard?

Colin

Do you mean that there is a piece of mat sandwiched between the board and the MDF track bed?

If that's not right could you explain please

Hi

The track work is placed on 3mm MDF cut to size, then on to of this is placed high density foam 3mm.

The MDF is glued down with PVA first and then on to of this the track is placed glued down with Copy Dex .

Here is a diagram showing what I mean.

All the best

Darren

post-6929-0-81525900-1296951843_thumb.jpg

HI All

While I was coming to the end of finishing Torrington I saw a programme on TV about Potteries , part of this programme they talked about all the types of materials they would need just to make a plate!.

This got me thinking about what if the pottery that had once been served by the canal had then become rail served.

This layout will make a change with doing green fields as this will be far more dirty and industrial looking.

SO for the last six months I have been working on plans to build this new layout, but this time I wanted to build the track using C+L.

Never been happy with the way Peco track looks and always admired layouts with hand built track and having a very good friend who is a signal man, and has an interest in track work.

I have also lied out a 12 foot plan of the track work on a roll of lining paper; this will help in lying out the track work and give me a better picture.

Been working on weathering my clay trucks and adding tarps covers, I had an idea about the clay transfer shed on the layout as it is set at the back and in front of the hidden sidings, I will have a hole in the back so I can remove clay wagons that are being unloaded and replace them with clay wagons that have been empted.

This would not be seen from the front of the layout, but would give the impression of wagon being empted

For the hidden siding I will be using cassettes for the stock, as I am playing with three links I will leave the wagons coupled up and only have to change the loco at each end.

Having been reading up of what goods a pottery has coming in to keep running as the kilns where on the go 24/7, so would need consent supply.

As well as clay the potteries used Flint as part of the processes, coal or coke, bone meal, sand, oil. (And this list is still growing)

So with this shunting and types of stock coming in would be interesting to see, as well as goods going out in shock absorber vans , glade I brought a few of them last year!.

For the loading area I again will have a part of the back scene removed so I can place loads into the open wagons, so when they leave they have been loaded, again this will not be seen from the front.

The Buildings

All the buildings on the layout have all been laid out use in a CAD programme; this will be laid over the top of foam card.

By doing this all the windows (a lot of them) will all be in alignment, so should make cutting out a lot easier

Over this I will give the building a skim of tiling grout and scribe the brick work on, as some of the building are very big using plastic card sheet I would end up with a lot of joins.

I was hoping to be able to start building the base boards this weekend, but the demon of flue has vested me and has stopped that!

One thing I did learn is that do not solder with flue ….sneezing fit with hot iron in hand is not SAFE!

I have week off coming up soon and this will let me get on with building the track, I will do a show and tell account of how I get on having a go the first time building track work ….so expect to see photo with blistered fingers in.

Once I have the boards done I do some photo of them, this is going to be fun doing this and I am look forward to it.

Hopefully I will not make all the mistakes I did on Torrington this time …only make new ones!.

I have some photo that will give you some idea of what I will be aiming for with the buildings on the layout.

Take care

All the best

Darren

post-6929-0-73821100-1297083281_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-06128600-1297083307_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-84304800-1297083386_thumb.jpg

Great photos! The works in the upper two look vaguely familiar.

What sort of wares would be produced at your pottery? I ask because this would determine what materials came in and how they were fired. For instance continuous firing kilns like the Hoffmann were only used AFAIK for brick making. Bricks were made from locally dug clay mixed with a bit of straw and sand – the only incoming cargo would be coal usually.

If you're talking about fine domestic pottery as produced in Staffordshire then you would indeed need all sorts of materials brought in: china and ball clays, flint (as you said) but also whiting (CaCO3) and various colouring oxides – this is assuming the main source of clay is on site, as was the case in Stoke. In fact that is the only source of stoneware clay in the country (you can't throw pots with just china clay).

In recent times at least, many of these ingredients would have come in bags inside vans! In the past they probably crushed and ground their own flint, limestone, feldspar etc on site which would be more interesting for you (but Hell for the workers!)

And good luck with that double slip!

• 3 weeks later...

HI All

Just a little up date on what has been happening with the layout, As you can see I have made a start on the track for it.

The entire track will be C+L BH Code 75 Rail on play sleepers; the ballast is still a bit wet in this photo and will dry a lighter colour.

This is my first time at having go at building my own points and is a steep learning curve, but I have learned a lot just doing this point.

No matter how much you read books on doing it, the best way is to do it, as I have learned a better way of doing the next point and want make the same mistakes.

But I am finding making my own points very rewarding and I can do all the ballasting in front of me this way, all I have to do is cut it out and then lay it on the new boards .

Anyway here is the photo of my new track let me know what you think.

Only seven more points and a double slip to do now!

Take care

All the very best

Darren

post-6929-0-96033200-1298933135_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-57372200-1298933221_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-71506300-1298994071_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-60633600-1298994083_thumb.jpg

Hi Darren.

That looks fantastic, a little more detail re mistakes and a better way of doing it please, as i may be going along this route myself when it comes to the track on my layout. Did you buy the C&L starter kit or individul parts?

Regards

Ray.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Here is a little up date on Imperil potteries, all the points I have been done, The double slip was a little on the hard side to do ,as you do not have much room to work , 7 points and a double slip .

But after two goes at doing it I managed to finish it, still need to add a few slid chairs and then the tie bars for the point blades.

Next job is to wire them up and test them, I have run a wagon through all the point work and pushed my 2-6-2, as a test and the points work as they should.

This weekend I will make a start on the boards and once this is done I can start to lay the track and wire it up… Then two months of testing!

Once i have all the track work down i put up some more photos.

Here are a few photo of the point work.

All the best

Darren

post-6929-0-53437200-1301039230_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-40393800-1301039665_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-71726000-1301039675_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Given the range of skills you displayed on Torrington, it is no surprise to find you can also make rather good track, too! Not every newcomer might choose to include a double-slip in the first few points they make, but you've sailed through that as well! Looks more than promising, Darren!

Wow your track work is sublime good stuff luv track like this it really does make the difference and gives that very realistic look to the layout i shall keep an eye on this 1 as i find your pics intreging want track like dat myself but don't have the patience to make it :unsure:

Cheers.

Archived