Imperil Potteries

darren01

HI All

Update on what has been happening with Imperial Potteries so far, all the point work is now done and working well.

The only one I did have problems with was the Double slip, but nothing a Riffler files could not sort out, the wood work is now done for one board , board A.

Also I have been making some of the straight track for the layout, in 60 foot and 120 foot panels, and my fingers hurt!

So it means I can go in and just lay the track on the boards, with just adding the curves in to join it all up.

Building your own track is not a dark art , I read Ian Rice book a few times then dived in, the first point was a little hard and the Vee looked bad, but with help from a few of you on here I got their in the end.

Now having made 7 points and a Double slip I wish I had started Torrington with this track, sorry but once you have built your own, their no going back.

I will put up a list of all the parts you will need, if you wish to have a go at making your own track, go on have a go.

Any way here are a few photos of some of the straight track.

All the best

Darren

post-6929-0-43580800-1301301490_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-34193400-1301301503_thumb.jpg

Hi Darren, the points look absolutely stunning and have to say first class modelling. I have the utmost respect and admiration for those modellers that make their own point work. Unfortunatley I do not have the time or skills to make my own so will make do with Peco ones, great modelling and very inspirational. They look so real!

Would you mind letting us know what ballast you use and also how you go about weathering the point work?

HI All

Thanks for the kind comments about the track work, still need to add a lot of the detail to the points before I can put them down on the new base boards.

Making your own track is not that hard if you take your time and are careful while building it, one of the hard bits to do is get the Vee’s right.

To make the Vee’s I made up a jig to hold them in using this as a template for them; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/29692-angle-and-point-templates/page__view__findpost__p__313027__fromsearch__1

Using two off cuts of sleeper I glued them down over the Template, this holds the Vee’s for lining up and also soldering.

Tools you will need to build the track with;

1. Set of small Swiss files.

2. A big Basted file. This file will be doing most of the donkey work so go for a good one.

3. Track cutters.

4. Soldering ion.

5. Pritt stick.

6. Scalpel + 10A blade.

7. Tweezers.

8. 300 grit Emory paper. Used to remove file marks.

C+L bits to make points.

4CH101B 3 Bolt Chairs. 500

4CH103A Slide Chairs. 100

4RA101A Code 75 Bullhead Rails. 10 meters.

T4PT101 8’x 6†Sleepers 0.8mm thick (500) for all other rails.

4TP101A 4mm Fish Plates.

4T 100 Stretchers.

T4PT111 10in Turnout Timbers. For all the point work.

4TG00 Track gauges x2 , if you can afford three all the better, But you can get away with two.

00 Templates. C+L do a whole list of these.

Sleepers stain.

Butanone 50ml Bottle ABS glue.

1x tube of All-purpose glue.

Choosing what point you will need is down to your tack plan, for this layout I went for B7 points, 1.7 turnouts.

The ballast is again from C+L range and is the Yard ash ,The track was painted with RAF Brown from the Humbrol range No.29.

All the best

Darren

post-6929-0-72445900-1301389292_thumb.jpg

HI All

Thanks for the kind comments about the track work, still need to add a lot of the detail to the points before I can put them down on the new base boards.

Making your own track is not that hard if you take your time and are careful while building it, one of the hard bits to do is get the Vee’s right.

To make the Vee’s I made up a jig to hold them in using this as a template for them; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/29692-angle-and-point-templates/page__view__findpost__p__313027__fromsearch__1

Using two off cuts of sleeper I glued them down over the Template, this holds the Vee’s for lining up and also soldering.

Tools you will need to build the track with;

1. Set of small Swiss files.

2. A big Basted file. This file will be doing most of the donkey work so go for a good one.

3. Track cutters.

4. Soldering ion.

5. Pritt stick.

6. Scalpel + 10A blade.

7. Tweezers.

8. 300 grit Emory paper. Used to remove file marks.

C+L bits to make points.

4CH101B 3 Bolt Chairs. 500

4CH103A Slide Chairs. 100

4RA101A Code 75 Bullhead Rails. 10 meters.

T4PT101 8’x 6†Sleepers 0.8mm thick (500) for all other rails.

4TP101A 4mm Fish Plates.

4T 100 Stretchers.

T4PT111 10in Turnout Timbers. For all the point work.

4TG00 Track gauges x2 , if you can afford three all the better, But you can get away with two.

00 Templates. C+L do a whole list of these.

Sleepers stain.

Butanone 50ml Bottle ABS glue.

1x tube of All-purpose glue.

Choosing what point you will need is down to your tack plan, for this layout I went for B7 points, 1.7 turnouts.

The ballast is again from C+L range and is the Yard ash ,The track was painted with RAF Brown from the Humbrol range No.29.

All the best

Darren

Thanks for putting that list up Darren.

Colin

HI All

While I was coming to the end of finishing Torrington I saw a programme on TV about Potteries , part of this programme they talked about all the types of materials they would need just to make a plate!.

This got me thinking about what if the pottery that had once been served by the canal had then become rail served.

This layout will make a change with doing green fields as this will be far more dirty and industrial looking.

SO for the last six months I have been working on plans to build this new layout, but this time I wanted to build the track using C+L.

Never been happy with the way Peco track looks and always admired layouts with hand built track and having a very good friend who is a signal man, and has an interest in track work.

I have also lied out a 12 foot plan of the track work on a roll of lining paper; this will help in lying out the track work and give me a better picture.

Been working on weathering my clay trucks and adding tarps covers, I had an idea about the clay transfer shed on the layout as it is set at the back and in front of the hidden sidings, I will have a hole in the back so I can remove clay wagons that are being unloaded and replace them with clay wagons that have been empted.

This would not be seen from the front of the layout, but would give the impression of wagon being empted

For the hidden siding I will be using cassettes for the stock, as I am playing with three links I will leave the wagons coupled up and only have to change the loco at each end.

Having been reading up of what goods a pottery has coming in to keep running as the kilns where on the go 24/7, so would need consent supply.

As well as clay the potteries used Flint as part of the processes, coal or coke, bone meal, sand, oil. (And this list is still growing)

So with this shunting and types of stock coming in would be interesting to see, as well as goods going out in shock absorber vans , glade I brought a few of them last year!.

For the loading area I again will have a part of the back scene removed so I can place loads into the open wagons, so when they leave they have been loaded, again this will not be seen from the front.

The Buildings

All the buildings on the layout have all been laid out use in a CAD programme; this will be laid over the top of foam card.

By doing this all the windows (a lot of them) will all be in alignment, so should make cutting out a lot easier

Over this I will give the building a skim of tiling grout and scribe the brick work on, as some of the building are very big using plastic card sheet I would end up with a lot of joins.

I was hoping to be able to start building the base boards this weekend, but the demon of flue has vested me and has stopped that!

One thing I did learn is that do not solder with flue ….sneezing fit with hot iron in hand is not SAFE!

I have week off coming up soon and this will let me get on with building the track, I will do a show and tell account of how I get on having a go the first time building track work ….so expect to see photo with blistered fingers in.

Once I have the boards done I do some photo of them, this is going to be fun doing this and I am look forward to it.

Hopefully I will not make all the mistakes I did on Torrington this time …only make new ones!.

I have some photo that will give you some idea of what I will be aiming for with the buildings on the layout.

Take care

All the best

Darren

Hello Darren,

Your layout looks great,

I too have plans to have a pottery as a part of my layout.

I haven't gotten far with that part of the layout because the pottery is only going to be one corner of my layout. I will not be going to put as much effort my pottery as you obviously are going to. Also I have other things on my layout plate to deal with at the moment.

One thing I am worried about and I am very interested in how you plan to tackle the problem is that of how to model those beautiful bottle kilns. The basic shape is not a real problem as I have a lot of plastic bottles which are of the exact shape of the kilns. The real problem is how to model the outside brickwork. My best idea so far (but I'm not convinced it will work) is to clad the outside with embossed paper or plastic card of bricks and try to taper it up to the narrow top by cutting thousands of little vees in the dozens of layers of brick courses.

Another solution I've thought of is to coat my plastic bottle with modeling clay and scoring the individual bricks (1,000s of them) with a craft knife and paint them afterwards.

I am very interested in how you plan to get over this problem.

• 3 weeks later...

HI All

Here is an update of what been happening, well i have now done all the boards and have put down some track under lay .

Just to give you an idea of what the track layout will look like here is a photo, The underlay has been glued down with carpet glue that do's not make the underlay harden up.

I was surprised how cheap the carpet glue spray was £3.50 for a very big can, and you can reposition the underlay as well.

I still need to tweak the plane a bit ,but this is how it will look.

All the best

Darren

post-6929-0-34100000-1303245118_thumb.jpg

Hi All

I have now made a start on laying the track down; the track coming from the right will go off into the hidden sidings (cassettes).

A lot of the track work will run between buildings and the front of the layout will have a quay side.

Hope to get more track down over the next week or so (have run out of chairs).

All the best

Darren

post-6929-0-94467500-1303750161_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-97309100-1303750173_thumb.jpg

Looks to be another cracker!

You've got a lot going on, in a relatively small area

and I'm sure it won't look cramped when it's finished

The photos on page one of the thread are very atmospheric

and even though it's at an early stage of development

I can alsmost feel the atmosphere I think you're after already!

Smashing looking trackwork too

I never really got on with the C&L kits too well

In the past, I used ply sleepers, soldered to copper rivets

This results in a much sturdier construction

but as I wanted to includesleeper chairs, I cut C&L ones in half

and glued them in place.....

laborious :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Marc

Hi All

Most of the sleepers are down on the layout and wires to track I have got done now and tested ,must say it is nice to see one of your loco run through some of the point work you have built .

Have made a strart on the hard standing areas now ,so not much to look at ;So here is some photo's of the concerting for you to look at, :rolleyes: I will have a go at airbrushing it as well later.

When my order for chairs arrives then I can get on with laying more tracks down, .

Then i will put up some more photo' .

All the

post-6929-0-35428400-1304628962_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-10429500-1304628974_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-03168000-1304720474_thumb.jpg

Hi Darren

Lovely bit of trackwork you've built there. Oh, and congratulations on the spread in Model Rail; well deserved.

Now, Imperil. It this meant to be a tableware pottery? Have you deserted the West Country? Pretty much all the major manufacturers of 'pottery' in the South West actually made pipes, bricks and tiles and suchlike. Even the famous (and serially bankrupt) Poole Pottery started out as Carters Industrial Tile Manufactory – they did at least have their own PO wagons. Most of the potteries in the Stoke area seemed to have relied on the canal for transport rather than railways though the Somerset brick works were mostly rail connected. Some of them like Barham Bros in Bridgwater even used bottle kilns though most preferred Hoffman kilns or something similar.

Somebody (Ian Clarke) has made a rather nice model of 'Rockingham Pottery' as part of his layout – yes I know you shouldn't model a model but it might give you ideas – which was featured in one of the mags some years ago. It seems from Google that the layout has been donated to the Merseyside MRS http://www.merseysidemrs.co.uk/rockingham.htm

I can't think of a suitable reference work though something might be available from the various industrial archaeology societies – most counties seem to have one.

Happy hunting

Archived