Class 37 Sound that you may not be aware of

Rob Hayes

Hi guys im still new to this forum, i live up the road from dcc supplies and asked about mr soundguy chips i have howes, Bachmann and Hornby sounds, and one mr soundguy class 40 which to be honest i really really like,

i asked them if they do other sounds not shown on there site and they do here is the list.

class 20

class 31

class 33

class 37

class 40

class 45

class 47

class 50

class 52

class 67

class 108

class 156

irish 071

irish 201

irish 141/181

and more in the pipeline...

im going to try a few of these and definaly the class 37 if i dont like it ill get it reblown i like to have a mix of loco sounds as no 2 sound the same and eacch one sounds differnt on differnt days.

i have howes 37/4 , 37/9, 2 Bachmann 37s now sound great after new speakers. Bachmann 20 ,47, howes hst x 2, Hornby a4, mr soundguy 40, and on order howes 37/0 and zimo 37/0.

here is a video of the class 40 in my weatherd 40169.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_T5O1yyFCIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thanks rob

well ive heard the 33 dont sound good, from what i can see differnt suppliers chips handle differntly you have to learn there quirks and set up the cvs to suit your driving, ive just installed the zimo mx640 with digitrains sounds for 37/0 into Bachmann 37254 and a 20x40 mm bass enhanced speaker in the roof, and a bass reflex in the tanks, and... ITS UNBELIVEABLY FANTASTIC. its so LOUD the sound quality is amazing i have howes 37/4 which so far is still best for small layouts, but i tell ya you got get one of these babes, it sound just like the real thing i love my Bachmann 37 to and i wont change them but the zimo 37 after years of watching them really is the best in my opinion, its somthing special. its like the rolls royce of sound to my ear. ill post a video after the weekend.

its so loud it made my neibours hit the wall.

• 11 months later...

sorry its very late posting, a great chip now in 3 of my 37s, this loco is fitted with a standard loksound speaker in the roof, and a bass speaker in the fuel tanks,

it is very driveable, and sounds great to my ear, the only think i found is as supplied its very loud and the loco gets louder with more power very realistic, trouble is at full thrash it over loads and i set mine to 40 via cv63 and its perfect then, fitted this chip to my 37239 and 37507,

let us know what you think. i recomend trying one out and if you dont like it you can always reblow it, got mine from dcc suplies they are wonderfull people very friendly and often make you a cup of tea, thats what a call a model shop

happy new year all!

• RMweb Gold

so who's chip is in the loco and what brand is it?

the reason i ask there is almost a year between your inital post "bigging up" mr sound guy and saying your getting one, but you also mention fitting a zimo chip to your 37s back in feb 2011 with digitrains sounds and in todays post you mention a standard lok-sound speaker being in the loco, im just a bit confused!!

ok to clarrify, i posted this initially in feb2011, i had purchased a zimo 37 chip for 37 254 not here,

this video is class 37038 and is fitted with a esu lok3.5 bought from dcc suplies blown with mr soundguy class 37 sounds here, thats whats in the vid,

the reason for the delay, well i joined this forum around the same time last year, the video was filmed last year, but i had problems with my computer loading the videos, to youtube and then i got distracted with my other modelmaking last year and work, so i forgot to post the video on here, so the video is a year late, shocking i know, so im still very new to this forum,

i had been spending a lot of time on britmodeller, but now i must spend more time on here too i think,

and i must post the video of the zimo 37 too,

now i hear zimo have done the new multidrive version which looks like my prayers answers ill be buying some of them for sure soon, just once i finished paying the bills etc.

so i hope that clears it up, the video you are watching is mrsoundguy class 37 and it sounds fantastic,

sorry for my epic balls of an early post i hope you forgive me and are as friendly as those over at britmodeller,

cheers guys rob

heres another 37 ive recently fitted with mr soundguy sounds, running this weekend

I'm new to DCC sound, and this is confusing me a bit. What differences am I looking for between this clip and the clip at Post#5 when I compare the two?

the background noise is the sound of the microphone hiss on my mobile, the 2 lococs are both fitted with mr soundguy sounds, im just showing the 2 that i have fitted with them as the second one has a slightly different speaker set up and sounds a bit more punchy,

in person these sound fantastic, i own howes and Bachmann class 37 sounds and a zimo one, they all sound great to my ear and all like 37s but no 2 sound exactly the same depends on driver, loco type and condition, and the atmospherics of the day, my car sounds different on different days,

i intend to buy a legomanbiffo soon i had not heard of them till this week they sound fab.

i would recomend this chip one of my friends on youtube has bought one and was very impressed by it, this is still the most bassy 37 sound ive heard to date and really growls but my phone does not pick it up to well,

when i invest in a better camera ill do a better video.

listening to the tick over on the mr soundguy 37 sounds like it might have been recorded from a cold loco.

cheers rob

Realy like that sound!! seems different............

me too it really does sound like how i remember class 37s as a kid, 37s make so many different variations of sound however that it makes sence to have as many varieties of sound chips possible,

the thing i like about this chip is when the loco has is moving , it sounds like i remember real ones going off into the distance on a heavy train. making many undulating oscillating noises from the exaust and thats what i love and miss about them, i love all the 37s chips ive got so far, Bachmann, howes, zimo, and zimo multidrive, and i really like these mr soundguy ones,

ive not seen many users using mrsoundguy and all ive heard except for my posts is the class 33 which wasnt so lauded. however this 37 chip really is good

sadly however i went to dcc supplies yesterday and as it currently stands mr soundguy is off the menu, apparently they have not been converted to v4 and the person who did these sounds is doing something else.

its a shame as i would like to have tried there other sounds to see what they are like,

im glad i got 3 37s with these sounds on, and i love the playable horns on this chip.

you get 5 horns on 3 buttons,

f2 is double tone , and if you press and let go it sounds normal, if you press and hold the horns are more drawn out in sound.

f3 i is single horn just a toot,

f4 is a toot the same if you press and let go, or if you hold it down it will sound for as long as you like till you let go.

f3 and f4 could be the other way around im not sure but they are good.

cheers rob

This does sound better than I was expecting but I would agree it was recorded from a cold loco and the 'hunting' of the engine would annoy me pretty quickly.

well i used to live near springs branch wigan as a child, in the 80s, now i was too young to know what was what but i do remember sounds and the looks of locos well, but even though im told 37s were not based there im sure you would find them there often,

as it was often cold up there it would make sence cold starts are something i would have been used to hearing,

i do miss waking up in the morning and hearing the noise of 20s before the pits were shut, oh happy days.

well maybe there was not any done, either way its interesting both Hornby and lima did some like this, i can well imagine some may have been in it for a very short time, lets not forget the 80s was a time when there was many livery variations within certain liverys, many short term unusual liverys, and not as many people who had access to cameras, and not that many people who cared about diesels as much at that time,

the often forgot early executive livery that was applied to at least 3 hst sets betwean blue livery and before revised executive livery,

it seems with Hornby refering to swallow livery as executive livery would prove people forget, but it was acutally, apt livery, then early executive livery , revised executive livery, and then mainline livery, revised mainline livery, and then swallow livery, plus variations on the themes with all of them.

and then there are many 37s in ll blue and railfreight grey and red stripe livery that are non standard,

on britmodeller some of us often make our model airplanes as "what ifs" or whiff for short, i dont know if anyone applies this escape and fun side of modeling imagination but why not, if you want a class 37 split box in railfreight grey id go for it, i may do one myself why not, as much as i like accuracy it is for fun too.

on britmodeller ive seen spitfires painted in german colours and me109s in raf colours, ive seen vulcan bombers in american colours and all sorts of other stranger stuff and more belevable stuff,

you could be running your layout in an altered reality, how about if 37/9s had been given the go ahead in stead of class 60s, what liverys might they had appeared in,

how about and lner class 37 , or a class 60 in rail blue, a tgv in intercity swallow,

is there a what if section to this forum.?

I can hear a lot of background noise, a little bit like hearing something played on cassette. Could be just the video but like others, id rather just get my sound from somebody else. Legomanbiffo is best in my opinion

You can compare both on Youtube as they are both on there. Then you can choose what you like the best!!

DC Kits/DE Videos will have a range of Legomanbiffo stuff at Stafford in three weekends time! Hopefully the ALL NEW playable Class 20 will be there too.

Archived