LNER vac pipes

57xx

• RMweb Gold

I have a few Parkside Dundas kits to build up of LNER wagons (a couple of vans and an open). All the wagons are vacuum fitted but none have the vacuum pipes included in the kits. After looking at the pics on Paul Bartlett's site, I saw the vac pipes were different from what I'm used to on GWR stock. I purchased some turned brass pipes from Markits so I could put the angle on the metal section of the piping but am now puzzling exactly how these were on the LNER wagons.

This open wagon and this van has the pipe has the angle going off to the right, where-as this van (and others) has the pipe angled to the left. So my question is, si the angle on each end different so that the pipe has a straight run underneath the wagon? Or did the angle just depend on the particular wagon? I'm also trying to find a straight on end shot to get the exact shape of the metal part before it goes under the wagon. All the shots I've found so far have a buffer obscuring the bit I need to see.

TIA

I have a few Parkside Dundas kits to build up of LNER wagons (a couple of vans and an open). All the wagons are vacuum fitted but none have the vacuum pipes included in the kits. After looking at the pics on Paul Bartlett's site, I saw the vac pipes were different from what I'm used to on GWR stock. I purchased some turned brass pipes from Markits so I could put the angle on the metal section of the piping but am now puzzling exactly how these were on the LNER wagons.

This open wagon and this van has the pipe has the angle going off to the right, where-as this van (and others) has the pipe angled to the left. So my question is, is the angle on each end different so that the pipe has a straight run underneath the wagon? Or did the angle just depend on the particular wagon? I'm also trying to find a straight on end shot to get the exact shape of the metal part before it goes under the wagon. All the shots I've found so far have a buffer obscuring the bit I need to see.

TIA

Yes, unlike other companies the LNER had a straight pipe run and handed upright vacuum pipes - which meant the connection ended up on the centre line. Wagons have a pair of 'inner solebars' either side of the centre line. The pipes were attached to these, on most Companies and BR wagons this pipe swapped from one side to the other at some place beneath the wagon.

Reverting to LNER wagons, there is an official drawing of the VB underframe in Tatlow P (1976) A pictorial record of LNER wagons. Pub. by OPC, SBN 0 902888 92-7 (reprinted by Pendragon). This shows the pipe runs along the longitudinal closer to the side with 2 V hangers (and therefore not the side with the vacuum cylinder).

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for clearing that up Paul! Did the end pipe go back to vertical around the headstock and before turning under the wagon, or did the angle carry on all the way down before turning under?

Thank you for clearing that up Paul! Did the end pipe go back to vertical around the headstock are before turning under the wagon, or did the angle carry on all the way down before turning under?

Not quite sure what you are asking, but they are only vertical for a short length at the top, they are angled running down including across the headstocks. You didn't mention what scale you are working in, the Parkside 7mm pipes are very nice - they separately do LMS and LNER.

This http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p24250282.html shows it very well.

Paul Bartlett

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Rob, I've slept a few times since the OP, so can't remember what all the links were to, but this is one of them on Paul's new site:

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnercoveredmerchandise/e232b3569

There is also this:

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/e92d0b36

Hopefully Paul might be along and show something more akin to your pigeon van

• RMweb Gold

Watch your choice of number as they do not all look like that.

Also check if Westy fitted.

Diag 120 is a great example of Stratford standardization....not.

Bernard

Thanks and I'm still researching a number suitable for my version.How would I know if it had Westy fiitings.

Thanks and I'm still researching a number suitable for my version.How would I know if it had Westy fiitings.

It will have a second pipe.

Take a look at the Hornby J15 late crest version to get the idea.

Watch out for the duckets, with or without, for another variation.

Bernard

It will have a second pipe.

Take a look at the Hornby J15 late crest version to get the idea.

Watch out for the duckets, with or without, for another variation.

Bernard

And with and without the long handrails too as per the one I've done. I wanted the correct buffers for mine so I did them - BC01 LNER non corridor buffers.

Must get it finished....

Dave Franks.

Archived