Meteor Models 02 in 7mm

georgeT

hi, Nearly finished my 02 brass kit, and l must say it was a joy to put together, hardly any cleaning up of the white metal castings at all, l have finished the loco in BR mixed lining and have done it by hand, its a bit coarse but l intend to give it a heavy weathering later so it will hide the rough bits

post-7716-0-56039400-1296998542_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-81990800-1296998618_thumb.jpg

I've been looking at the possibility of purchasing a Meteor Models kit, but know nothing about them, other than their website info. What are they like to build in terms of accuracy, quality of fit, etc.? I'd rather not spend my cash on something that is more bother than it is worth (thoughts of 4mm MTK kits spring to mind)! Your work on the O2 certainly looks good.

Ian

Hello Ian, l would take the plunge and go for a meteor kit, l have also built a haywood southern G6, which a bit of a challenge, still made a good loco though, l think you have to research your chosen loco and get as many pictures as you can, then with the plans and photos you should be alright, also l have joined a gauge 0 club, and the 0 gauge guild, the feedback is very good and most clubs have the skills needed to help, when l built the 02 l didnt do any research and just went on sailing into the night, l chose a mainland 02, which had a straight tender unlike the ones on I.O.W, (as there was less bending involved), but made the big mistake of putting all the push-pull gear on, unfortunately only the I.O.W locos had the push-pull fitted to them so l have been informed, but its my loco and l think it looks alright.........

l chose a mainland 02, which had a straight tender unlike the ones on I.O.W, (as there was less bending involved), but made the big mistake of putting all the push-pull gear on, unfortunately only the I.O.W locos had the push-pull fitted to them so l have been informed, but its my loco and l think it looks alright.........

I don't know who your informant was but he was talking rubbish. No Island O2s were fitted with 'modern' push-pull gear, and only 5 of the mainland ones, come to that. Fortunately old 182 was one of of them. She kept the gear until 1956 though wasn't withdrawn until 1960 I believe.

When in P-P mode they usual worked with old LSWR 'gate' stock, while it survived.

thank you for clearing up the confusion, l was told that it was all for Push-pull, but l have now found out that they are westinghouse brake gear, thank you for the information, l have learned more in the months building 0 gauge steam locos than l've learned in the past 40 years modelling, never knew there was so much in or on a steam loco? ........Regards georgeT

thank you for clearing up the confusion, l was told that it was all for Push-pull, but l have now found out that they are westinghouse brake gear, thank you for the information, l have learned more in the months building 0 gauge steam locos than l've learned in the past 40 years modelling, never knew there was so much in or on a steam loco? ........Regards georgeT

Ooops! I didn't look closely enough at your model photos. Yes you have in fact fitted Westinghouse brakes to your loco. It is confusing as the push-pull gear also uses a Westinghouse pump attached to the LHS of the smokebox, but the reservoir is on the running plate alongside the front splasher. There is further gubbins on the tank front and top, plus of course the extra air hose on the buffer beams.

I'll no doubt raise a few hackles but I think Adams's locos were always far more attractive than Drummond's rather dour designs.

Nice model, by the way.

apart from painting the fire irons and giving them both a coat of satin varnish they are complete, will give them a good weathering when the weather gets better as l do it outside in the garden, need to have a look for a spray booth were l can do it inside in the warm, anyway l have coated the boiler bands and numbers etc with some varnish so they wont go wandering,

post-7716-0-66023800-1297416839_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-36798300-1297416912_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-87312500-1297416977_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-29320100-1297417040_thumb.jpg

Archived