• RMweb Premium

however it is my birthday tomorrow, so who knows what will happen.

All together now..........

Let's all 'ave a disco

Let's all 'ave a disco

La la la la

La la la la.

Many happy returns fella, day off to open another box from Liverpool??

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 2

Evening guys and thanks for all the birthday wishes from yesterday. Paul - thanks for the interesting pimped up loco - looks very much like the ones in Chuggington.

Tonight I've been doing some experiments on what will go up the helix, and the answer is a maximum of five intermodals (i.e. ten containers). Any longer and the weight of the wagons ends up with the one directly behind the loco being pulled sideways and off the track - see photo below. This was helped by adding containers i.e. some extra weight to them, but I could still only pull five pairs - I assume it's the friction going round the curves. Since the longest I'll run in and out of the sidings is four this should be OK.

post-10336-0-77900400-1363817872_thumb.jpg

I also tried out some HEA hoppers and my full set of fifteen go up no problems behind the trusty class 56 - only one minor derailment, but that was due to the coupling on the 56 - I need to re-read Ian's posting about sawing various bits off.

I'm still getting to grips with the new controller - being somewhat bamboozled why neither of my new class 20's would respond, only to remember that I'd set them up as a double header pair - doh.

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yep even with metal castings those flats aren't that heavy, a small lump of metal in the front couple of containers should sort it without taxing most recent locos. A few years ago a Freightliner driver offered to push his train of flats back into Marchwood when we discovered a broken rail ahead, we declined the offer as the curve into the MOD is about the same as your spiral ;) takes a bit more sorting and explaining if you try it in 1:1!

• Like 2

Yep even with metal castings those flats aren't that heavy, a small lump of metal in the front couple of containers should sort it without taxing most recent locos. A few years ago a Freightliner driver offered to push his train of flats back into Marchwood when we discovered a broken rail ahead, we declined the offer as the curve into the MOD is about the same as your spiral ;) takes a bit more sorting and explaining if you try it in 1:1!

Thanks Paul, I'll give that a try tonight, and even better that I'm modelling a real situation !?!

More track for the fiddle yard ordered (as I'd run out) along with some RF BDA's.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

I've finally taken the decision that all this messing about with helixes is very distracting from modelling and also taking up a lot of room, so it's going to have to go and return to a roundy roundy layout again. Looks like I'm in good company with Hillside Model Railway coming to the same conclusion but after a lot more effort.

Cheers

Phil

PS I'll be posting another update just after noon.

• Like 1