37 906 has arrived at the yard, joining 37 406 and 37 506 but causing a slight DCC numbering issue as I am currently using the first two and last two, i.e. dropping the middle number so 37906 would be 37 06.

I'm going to have to use a slightly different scheme for these one - perhaps even resorting to a list stuck on the wall to remind me what is what!

• Like 2

Thanks but then all the 37's (37 406, 37 506 and 37 906) end up as 3706

It's going to have to be the bit of paper on the wall I think.

How about 3746, 3756, 3796?

• RMweb Premium

Last four digits here (and I know that the BCB boys do the same), although non-TOPS. For instance, Black Five 44781 becomes 4781, 3F 43734 is 3734, etc. 

Unfortunately that ends up with clashes on 57 003 / 57 008 and 57 010 / 57 011

Phil

Damn ! 

I must confess though I use a Dynamis and it also allows you to name them, not sure if other systems do. I would then go with 5703, 5708 & 5711. 

I just renumber my locos! :jester:

Oh yes I'd forgotten that option.

An early arrival home from work today enabled me to do a few running repairs to 56 059. It was down to one buffer, so glued back on the two I could find, then made a fourth one from some random one I found. I also fixed up the lights which had stopped working - the little brass connectors had become bent so spent ages manipulating them, screwing back on the body, finding it still still wasn't working, taking the body off again, bent the connectors (repeat about 10 times...) and it's now all working.

Phil

And to save me having to lay track and wire it up in the fiddle yard, I decided it would be much more interesting to make some ballast loads for my coalfish (MHA) wagons, that I can pull with the newly re-furbished 56 059 in EWS.

I used a bit of cardboard raised up on supports, applied with PVA then ballast sprinkled on.

post-10336-0-86431200-1368604274_thumb.jpg

I'll see what they're like when fully dry. I think they might need a couple of extra applications of ballast to make it uneven.

post-10336-0-68523200-1368604238_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 2

Nice pics mate, you should have a look at my video on ballast loads, it will give you an idea on how to achieve an uneven level of ballast  :dancer: 

Tim

Thanks Tim - I should have watched it before I started - good idea to create the hump in the middle.

Also a good variety of wood loads - I'll give that a try too.

Phil

Afternoon.

A quick progress report - in yet another attempt to not sort out the fiddle yard, I've built the shell of the steel stockholders building. It's made from MDF then I've got some Slaters embossed sheeting to stick on the top (to hide the dodgy woodworking).

post-10336-0-99850700-1368806890_thumb.jpg

In this one I've enlarged the door on the left, as it was a bit 'tight'. Not sure if to do the other one - it's currently 40mm wide.

post-10336-0-03753600-1368806927_thumb.jpg

I also did another wagon load - this time using Tims method of creating the heap using cardboard, which works well, not that you can see very well in the photos.

The one on the right is the original (flat) one, which I thought was too high so took off the supports underneath to lower it.

The one on the left is the one with the 'heap'.

post-10336-0-93841500-1368807231_thumb.jpg

Oh and I've done a bit of painting of the roads on the baseboards - pics to follow.

Phil

• Like 4

Hi Phil,

wagon loads look good, I really must give that a go myself. I've got my seacows to do.

Good to see the steel business is thriving and the new build is coming along nicely. I would make the other door bigger (based on no experience of the industry!)

Keep up the good work.... I expect it to be finished by Sunday night.

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 1

I would make the other door bigger (based on no experience of the industry!)

Keep up the good work.... I expect it to be finished by Sunday night.

Fortunately I've got plenty of industry experience - just not the right industry....

The second (wider) door was originally planned to be for lorries, but you know what it's like, it's very tempting to add just more more siding, but I know less is more so it's going to have to go back to road access, especially since the siding is long enough for eight BDAs and a loco. I think you're right on the size of the door - a bit tight as it is, so out with the saw again I think.

I did cut out some of the Slaters sheeting ready for sticking on.

Not sure I'm going to get any more progress as yesterdays 'construction' consisted of putting together to toys ready for the 3rd birthday of one of the mini Beresford Junctions which is today. Also today is the Watercress Festival here in Alresford - http://www.watercressfestival.org/ .

Phil