Trying to resist the 37/9, but I'm sure I'll soon succumb. Alternatively I was thinking I could do the photo with 506 then touch up the photo.

I'm still trying to work out how to fit the second helix in. I was down there again this morning before leaving for work, doing some measuring.

The original plan was to add undernath the sticky out bit, although this would entail building it underneath the existing board, plus I would end up with quite a short (relatively I know) fiddle yard.

post-10336-0-22158500-1367313622_thumb.jpg

The current hairbrain sceme might be to build a semi-removable helix right at the end, half unde the board, and half in the cuurent coridoor - there is room, but not sure about building a helix you have to remove to get in the room. I could of course just crawl underneath, but this would then mean the frame would need to allow this. This would give me a really long fiddle yard to play with, but the engineering might defeat me.

post-10336-0-08893700-1367313625_thumb.jpg

The better option of course would be to build it right at the end (where I've been refused planning permission), and hide with a bit of curtain and pretend it wasn't there.

Phil

• Like 5

The better option of course would be to build it right at the end (where I've been refused planning permission), and hide with a bit of curtain and pretend it wasn't there.

Retrospective planning permission maybe? ;)

Edited by MattWallace
  • Like 2

Afternoon all (WFH today :O)

I think I'm going to have to back to plan 'A' - this is where the second helix will go, and having done a bit of track re-jigging I think I'll be OK.

post-10336-0-11955800-1367421328_thumb.jpg

I'm going to need a couple of extra points to do it, but the shorted road in the fiddle yard will be 7 ft, with the longest 9', which should be more than enough?

Phil

• Like 3

Interesting place to have a helix ! Hope your flexible   :danced:

Tim

I agree Tim - not my first choice and the first one was a pain, however I 'should' be able to build it stand alone like I, sorry Ian did with the other one then push underneath before it's finally connected up.

I'm going to have to move some of the current supports then add them back in afterwards.

The real advantage is that I've measured/worked out where it's going which allows me to start laying the track in the fiddle yard - I was a bit stuck and rapidly losing interest in the whole thing.

Off down into the dungeon.

Phil

• Like 2

You certainly have your work cut out there Phil!

Talk about making it hard for yourself. Didnt you have a line that just went down a slope at the rear of the layout. Is that not an option?

Hi Scott

The (current) plan is to have 2 and a half turns on the helix starting at A and ending up at B, then it'll carry on up the slope. I'm going to reduce the angle of the slope at the back as it's a bit excessive. It needs the extra bit as I need enough headroom at point C to squeeze underneath.

post-10336-0-53571400-1367435170_thumb.jpg

This is the leg I need to remove then put back.

post-10336-0-01348700-1367435005_thumb.jpg

I was actually planning on just randomly nailing a few bits of wood together then inviting Ian round for a day to do it all properly while I watched.

Phil

• Like 5

I was actually planning on just randomly nailing a few bits of wood together then inviting Ian round for a day to do it all properly while I watched.

Phil

:laugh:

it worked last time!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott

Phil

I might be in Aberdeen but I can still hear you!

• Like 3

Afternoon

I managed to do a bit more wiring up over the weekend which took ages as I was trying to do it all neat and tidy. Consequently I can now run trains up and down the helix, in and out of the shunting yard, but the fiddle yard is still W.I.P.

Enjoy - sorry in advance for the dodgy camera work.

Phil

• Like 5

Thanks guys.

Not sure why, but I woke up extra early this morning so spent an hour down at Beresford Junction before work - helped by Poppy of course, who was inspecting the wiring that needs to be re-done and made neater.

post-10336-0-60194700-1368083323.jpg

I also had a look through some of the plastic crates of 'stuff' looking for the missing buffer from 56059. I didn't find that but did find loads of kits, and other things I'd forgotten I had.

Phil

• Like 5

Have come back all enthused after an evening doing some route learning at Leaford with Kevin and Ian, and since I'm 'working from home' today, I might fine the odd five minutes...

Ian and I also mulled over some other options for the location of the second helix, but that's a way off yet - I've decided I need to first get the fiddle yard set up, then a bit more scenics up top.

Phil

Evening all

A productive day all round - plenty of jobs ticked off from the work list and some progress in the dungeon.

First I started with a general tidy up and vacuum of the layout - it's amazing how much general detritis gathers. Next I added the rest of the sticky up post things (whatever they are called) - 12 per wagon, onto the BDAs x 8 - very boring. So that's all done now.

Then I decided to slightly re-arrange the track layout - less is more - so I now have just one long siding that will go into some kind of warehouse/steel yard, that will fit 8 BDAs plus a loco in. This was all cut and fitted, and I've soldered the power onto the track and neatly ticked all away underneath.

Of course I had to do some test runs to check it all worked.

Phil

• Like 1