A quick mini update from my early morning trip downstairs - which is becoming a bit of a habit - trying to calculate how many BDAa will fit into the shunting yard.

Looks like another two are required to take me to 8 in total - this still allows enough toom for the loco to come off the end then run around.

Phil

• Like 5

Love that riff and the trains of course !

Three things I love : Model trains, beer and great music, put them all together and I'm like a pig in poo :sungum:  :yahoo:

Two out of three ain't bad - I'll have to remember the beer next time however in my defence it was taken at about 6.30 AM, and it's a true drinking man that could start that early.

• Like 3

I can't believe anyone said anything to me about this - perhaps you're all too polite.

I've realised that when I added my strapping to hold on the steel to the BDAs I've made a really big mistake.

I just stuck the electrical tape over the edge,

post-10336-0-09898500-1365670672_thumb.jpg

wheras on closer inspection, I presume I should have poked it down throught he hole?

post-10336-0-83883300-1365670673_thumb.jpg

From a distance it looks fine, but now I know I'm going to have to correct it.

post-10336-0-25336100-1365670675_thumb.jpg

On the plus side, I've only done it on one so far, (of the 6 currently in the fleet), however an order was placed for another 12 last night, four more RF and 8 EWS, for my variable era layout...

Phil

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I've had to replace the sound with a bit of 'rock' as the sound from 57003 was a bit much, especially when running up the helix.

At least it proves it the helix is still there, although it also shows the woeful lack of progress with the fiddle yard - too much messing about with the BDAs and straps!

Not sure how many have noticed, but I mage a guest appearance at about 1:31

Phil

Hi Phil,

Beresford Junction is looking great, a lot of progress since when I last had a look.

I just have a quick question about those LEDs you have in the lower level - do you reckon they could be used as proper layout lighting, or are they too blue-white to represent outside lighting conditions??

Also (you may know this already) a while back there was an article in model rail about steel loads, i think it included stuff on BDA loads and also straps/chains for holding loads down.

Thanks,

Alex

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

Beresford Junction is looking great, a lot of progress since when I last had a look.

I just have a quick question about those LEDs you have in the lower level - do you reckon they could be used as proper layout lighting, or are they too blue-white to represent outside lighting conditions??

Also (you may know this already) a while back there was an article in model rail about steel loads, i think it included stuff on BDA loads and also straps/chains for holding loads down.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex

Thanks

The LEDs that I have are the blue white ones and are great for where I have put them under the board, however they also do a 'warm white' or something similar that I think should be good for on the layout, however I haven't tried them myself.

I think I remember that article you mentioned, although not until you mentioned it, so thanks - I'll have to try and see if I have it.

It seems to be referenced here and in MR 152 http://georgedentmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/more-steel-wagon-loads.html

Phil

• Like 1

Evening

I thought you might like a little look at the mini cam that I used for the most recent cab view video - it's quite small, and under a tenner - not the best build quality, but very good vfm.

post-10336-0-69776400-1365887863_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-31220400-1365887877_thumb.jpg

And I've been having a look round at some photos of BDA strapping, and they definitely go through the holes in the body. Here's my first update.

post-10336-0-88233900-1365887910_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 6

I tried to start the fiddle yard track laying tonight and have got exactly nowhere in about three hours apart from to draw some pencil lines on the boards 60mm apart.

The plans that I'd come to along with help from Ian with a main line in each direction, a couple of sidings and a shared siding allowing traffic to enter from one track, change locos to the other end the re-surface, well, they looked good on paper, but in reality weren't going to fit in, and I was also nervous about fitting it all before the second helix was in place, so I might have to go for yet another change.

I think I'm going to have to have a secondary fiddle yard, beyond the helix to allow all this swapping of direction, thus leaving the main one for standard up and down traffic.

Time to sleep on it I think.

Phil

After last evenings depression over fiddle yard sizings - I spent last night mulling it over in my mind and worked out it would probably be OK, but I've lost interest in it for now, so decided to have an evening playing trains.

Tonight became an EWS evening - the overnight service from the North West arriving in the marshalling yard at Beresford Junction before departing for Thornaby.

post-10336-0-61515200-1366064893_thumb.jpg

Oh and Poppy the cat, thought she'd get in on the act.

post-10336-0-18857800-1366064983_thumb.jpg

Theres a video in the process of being uploaded too - I'll post in the morning.

I got to thinking if I could possibly have a semi removable helix, based on a trap door along the passageway - I think it might fit but not sure how practial it would be - I'll work on that in my dreams overnight.

Phil

• Like 1