I've noticed that among your road vehicles there is what looks like a Ford Transit Connect van marked up as a taxi. Does it have a manufacturer marked on it? and can you please tell me from where it was obtained?

Yes it is - it's a Matchbox - about a pound. I think I got that one from Sainsbury's. They're a bit big as it's 1:64, but as long as you don't put them next to real 'OO' you can't really tell.

I think they also do one in a lime green colour, but that doesn't look as good.

Here's another picture of it - the chips to the paint are where the cats knocked it off the layout.

post-10336-0-56725800-1309512728_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

I thought I'd have a go at dirtying up the rails and adding some old rails and sleepers.

So a coffee cup is say 3" x 6" - that would be 1mm x 2mm - any suggestions on what to use or how to do it?

Phil

Hi Phil,

Do slaters, Evergreen Plastikard and plastruct (all the manufacturers I can think of) not do 1mm plastic rod? usually about £3 for a pack.

Best regards,

Mark

Hi Phil,

Do slaters, Evergreen Plastikard and plastruct (all the manufacturers I can think of) not do 1mm plastic rod? usually about £3 for a pack.

Best regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks and good idea - I'd thought of using sheathing from electrical wire.

The bonus of using the wire is I have it in a few colours, as I don't fancy trying to paint/draw a McDonalds / Starbucks logo onto something that small!

Cheers

A bit more research into track.

First, the buckets at Alton, Hampshire seem to be multiplying

post-10336-0-36020600-1309686515_thumb.jpg

Furher up towards Waterloo - lots of rails in the four foot - and more buckets. (excuse the photo but taken with my mobile, through the window at fairly high speed).

post-10336-0-28288900-1309686720_thumb.jpg

And here at Brookwood, we have one some in the four foot and some by the side - I think this is the look I'll go for.

post-10336-0-38040700-1309686864_thumb.jpg

with a bit of this thrown in (Alresford, Hampshire on The Watercress Line)

post-10336-0-98061600-1309687556_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-55927300-1309687567_thumb.jpg

Now to make the buckets...

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

Looking good now with the added clutter and weeds around the tracks. Just need to double the quantity of green stuff I think!!!!! Have you painted the track rails yet - they still look shiny in the photos.

Take your time adding the scruffiness - sneak up on it slowly so it looks realistic and passes the test each time you look at it. Maybe add some bushes to the mix as well as the flock for variety in colour and height.

Looking good - keep going. yes.gif

Looking good now with the added clutter and weeds around the tracks. Just need to double the quantity of green stuff I think!!!!! Have you painted the track rails yet - they still look shiny in the photos.

Take your time adding the scruffiness - sneak up on it slowly so it looks realistic and passes the test each time you look at it. Maybe add some bushes to the mix as well as the flock for variety in colour and height.

Yes, I think you're right about needing some more weeds / bushes. I'm trying to be eco/green now, and spotted some what I think was heather in a bunch of flowers we (well my wife probably) were given. I let it dry out and all the leaves (not sure heather has leaves, but the green bits) have fallen off. I think this might well do for dead/out of season bushes as in the picture of Falkirk Yard.

Some of the 'live' rails as opposed to the ones lying on the ballast have been painted but I thought the colour was too orange. I need to get a different colour - I quite liked the Humbrol RC402 on the Network Southeast Welcome to Shaftesbury thread.

I've also done some dirtying of the ballast (only in the station at the moment) with watered down black acrylics but was going to do a couple more coats here and there.

Cheers

Phil

If it helps - I used Windsor and Newton Burnt Umber artists' acrylic paint to do the rails on my layout. Maybe too dark for some viewers but it was what was lying around. Surprisingly it sticks quite well to Peco track. As you can get 75mL tubes for about the same price as 12mL of Humbrol, maybe worth a look. Colour choice is yours though - I feel UK rust is quite a light colour in some areas and much dirtier in others.

Hi Ian

Thanks - I might give that a try. I had a set of acrylic paints I got from a pound shop, which if you mix them up a bit aren't too bad, especially if you then dirty them up afterwards to make them less orange.

This is the station area - still too clean

post-10336-0-61420500-1310222835_thumb.jpg

and now a couple of men have turned up to lean on their shovels....

post-10336-0-92188100-1310222848_thumb.jpg

cheers

Phil

• Like 2

Looking very good.

One method for determining the height of grass and weeds is to consider where there will be activity (people, cars, trespassers, etc) and where there won't. The weeds will be shorter where there is more activity, longer and more varied in less active areas.

Thinking along these lines should give you some 'cut through' paths where people regularly walk and some seriously overgrown areas where they don't.

Back to the rubbish on the line - I thought I'd have a go at a newspaper on the line, so got a real front page from The Sun, re-scaled it down to 4mm x 7mm and printed out - however as you can see not good.

post-10336-0-63763100-1310304027_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-58230500-1310304224_thumb.jpg

I'm going to have to start from scratch with a 4mm x 7mm canvas and do a stylized one.

Also the Police have so little to do at Beresford Junction, that they just wander round counting the sleepers - time for them to be seconded to Redbrook Maritime to help out with the customs searches I think.

post-10336-0-89894900-1310304040_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good - litter isn't modelled very often!

Just on minor point - your track staff need orange Hi-Vis and all those who'd be under the control of a COSS (those working in gangs, maintaining, new builds rather than operational staff like signallers and train crew as a general rule) need to be in full orange for layouts post, IIRC, 1st April 2009.

• Like 1

Just on minor point - your track staff need orange Hi-Vis and all those who'd be under the control of a COSS (those working in gangs, maintaining, new builds rather than operational staff like signallers and train crew as a general rule) need to be in full orange for layouts post, IIRC, 1st April 2009.

So the bloke in the background with his 1980's orange micro vest wouldn't be compliant then?

post-10336-0-07521400-1310313453_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 1

Around a depot or yard it could be marked like that - the authorised walking route here isn't marked but is defined on a notice on the General Notice Board in the cabin.